• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    I hate ticks!! And yes kind of weird I just seen this I pulled one off the dog just this morning. Maybe if we get a good freeze now that it has warmed up it might kill off some of the pesky insects that are out early.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Anybody try any permithrin spray or treated clothes? If so, what was your experience?

I buy Permithrin 10 concentrate from the farm store and spray it undiluted on my family, dogs, chickens, and myself. (note Permithrin is toxic to cats) It works great on everyone but me. Sadly I am allergic to them but I have found nothing to keep them off of me. If my wife, son, and I all go out untreated during peak tick season, and all follow the same path, my wife may end up with a single tick. My son will get 2 or 3, and there will be 30 plus pulled off of me. The only thing in life that I truly hate are ticks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ticks are fierce around here, but the permethrin keeps them off. I'm in the woods and brush a lot here, and didn't get a bite last year.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Anybody try any permithrin spray or treated clothes? If so, what was your experience?
    Yes, and it works very well.

I contracted rocky mountain spotted fever from a tick I brought home with me doing a backpacking trip in the Big South Fork area of TN back in the late 90's. I did that trip in February and never dreamed of ticks being out and never checked for any on me when I returned home. I got extremely sick, had to go to the ER when I woke up in the middle of the night because I couldn't breath and my eyes were swollen shut. The doctors had no idea what the issue was and it took them several hours to figure it out. It took me 2 weeks to recover and 4 months to be totally relieved of the severe joint pain that accompanies RMSF.

I don't screw around with ticks anymore. Started using the spray 2 years ago after a tip from an Army SF buddy about it. IT WORKS. I totally cover my hunting clothing during turkey season. I even spray it on the yard. It not only takes care of ticks, but just about anything else that crawls.

Dirty Steve

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Great...

I hate the little monsters.. think there bad look up seed ticks. If u every get this guys. It will be the worst days of ur life..TRUST ME. I had A run with them..

Ah, yeah. I've got into a mess last year. It didn't take long and I was ready to cut my legs off at the knee. IIRC I had over 100 on my right ankle and foot alone.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Yes, and it works very well.

I contracted rocky mountain spotted fever from a tick I brought home with me doing a backpacking trip in the Big South Fork area of TN back in the late 90's. I did that trip in February and never dreamed of ticks being out and never checked for any on me when I returned home. I got extremely sick, had to go to the ER when I woke up in the middle of the night because I couldn't breath and my eyes were swollen shut. The doctors had no idea what the issue was and it took them several hours to figure it out. It took me 2 weeks to recover and 4 months to be totally relieved of the severe joint pain that accompanies RMSF.

I don't screw around with ticks anymore. Started using the spray 2 years ago after a tip from an Army SF buddy about it. IT WORKS. I totally cover my hunting clothing during turkey season. I even spray it on the yard. It not only takes care of ticks, but just about anything else that crawls.

Dirty Steve

Where do you but your spray, what brand, etc? Thanks

bart1533

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    indianapolis/owen co
    I had seed ticks / turkey mites from my ankles all the way up to the middle of my stomach. I bet I had 500 to 700 bites. After 3 day of hell. I went to the hospital. I didn't sleep for a week. And the meds didn't work. I itched them til most of them bleed. I'm. Telling u it was the worst days of my life. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Heck I think the government should look into this little guys as a type of weapon. Cus I promise the enemies will just shoot them self over them...

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Where do you but your spray, what brand, etc? Thanks

I used to buy the Sawyer brand aerosol cans and spray my clothes and boots down a few days before I was going to use them. The stuff lasts on clothing for several months. It was expensive going that route. I then found that I could buy the concentrate and mix it myself. I now mix it in a pump up lawn sprayer and spray the lawn around my house from the edge of the woods all the way to the foundation of the house. Still hose my clothing down as before. Spraying the yard gets ride of ticks, spiders, and a million other crawling bugs. Google permethrin and you will find several places to buy a gallon or so of it on line.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom