• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    So after checking for ammo at the Fishers Walmart, I went on out to the car to wait for the wife. She's about done and texts me, so I pull up front to wait for her to come out. After about a minute a Fishers PD swings around behind me, and walks up to my window to make a traffic stop! I received a ticket for stopping/parking in a fire lane ($140!) !
    The wife comes out and the PD is in his car with my paperwork. We wait, he delivers the paperwork, asks if I have any questions, and says have a nice day.
    I didn't inform. Had my Glock in the 4:00 hip position.

But I did wonder as he walked up initially, "to inform, or not inform..."

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    They must be hungry for revenue. People wait there to load/unload all the time. I didn't think you were parked unless out of the car.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I could see issuing a citation if your vehicle was unattended but if you're sitting there why couldn't the officer have asked you to move along all nice and friendly-like. That said, people need to make sure they sign the back of the registration of EVERY vehicle they own. That's a $140 hosing if you are "caught".

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Great job Fishers great use of your time. It can't be that important, around Xmas time when these stores contract for the off duty police to work there they always park up on those fire lanes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :noway: Never admit to going to Walmart.

After about a minute a Fishers PD swings around behind me, and walks up to my window to make a traffic stop! I received a ticket for stopping/parking in a fire lane ($140!) !
    :yesway: Why do people think that these "perfect parking spots" are for their use?

I didn't inform. Had my Glock in the 4:00 hip position.
    :yesway: Did it hurt him? Was he in danger? You did the right thing.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Eh, I would probably be upset too, but you where breaking a law and got a ticket. Seems fair enough. I do agree though, either enforce it strictly or give warnings.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My guess is that "fire lane" infractions are something enforceable but I don't know for sure.

Same as handicapped parking spaces.

I don't get it, how hard is it to walk to your car? Why do people feel the need to make their own parking spaces?

Park far out and keep an eye out for the person you're waiting on.

Let the word be spread - park in a defined spot or get a ticket!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think a firelane is one of those easement things where technically it is public property?

It seems to me that a citation of a sign on private property is moot. I can put a stop sign in a private parking lot, but does it have the force of law? NOPE. If it's not put there by the local jurisdiction, it's just decoration.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I was curious, so I looked up the code.

IC 9-21-16-5.5

Stopping or parking in fire lane; local ordinances; complaints; summons; volunteers
    Sec. 5.5. (a) This section applies to a fire lane that is located on property that is privately or publicly owned.
    (b) A person may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle in a fire lane.
    (c) A fire lane must be marked with the words "No Parking Fire Lane" in white letters and a stripe of at least four (4) inches in width, in conformance with the Indiana Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The words and stripe must be placed twelve (12) feet from the sidewalk, curb, or building. The words "No Parking Fire Lane" must be positioned between the stripe and the sidewalk, curb, or building.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I had one once ask me as I opened my car door what DAV plates stood for I answered Dumb A$$ Veteran (Actualy its written on the plate Disabled American Veteran), he laughed and said he was an Army Veteran too.

Sorry they didnt have any ammo there.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    The magic word is "public access". Any area intended for regular public use falls under the guidelines as public property in most cases. Just like it's illegal to be intoxicated in a bar...public access.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They must be hungry for revenue. People wait there to load/unload all the time. I didn't think you were parked unless out of the car.

There is also the "standing" part. That is when you are in your car, but not moving. Remember the signs, "no parking or standing". If you sit in your car waiting for someone, it is considered "standing".

Bummer he wouldn't let you slide.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I was curious, so I looked up the code.

IC 9-21-16-5.5
    Stopping or parking in fire lane; local ordinances; complaints; summons; volunteers
    Sec. 5.5. (a) This section applies to a fire lane that is located on property that is privately or publicly owned.
    (b) A person may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle in a fire lane.
    (c) A fire lane must be marked with the words "No Parking Fire Lane" in white letters and a stripe of at least four (4) inches in width, in conformance with the Indiana Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The words and stripe must be placed twelve (12) feet from the sidewalk, curb, or building. The words "No Parking Fire Lane" must be positioned between the stripe and the sidewalk, curb, or building.

I think the word we keep glossing over is: STOP. I know we all do it, to one degree or another. Some, just for a moment, to drop off/pick up a companion. Others stop for a minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes.

I know it's hard to swallow, but it's like speeding or pregnancy: either you are... or you aren't. Some get caught; some don't. :):

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You do not need to inform in Indiana. That is my understanding.

That is correct. You do NOT have to volunteer the information that you are carrying in Indiana. If asked I believe you should tell the truth but I also don't believe there is any statute in Indiana that you would violate if you were carrying, were asked, said "no", and then were somehow "discovered". The officer might not like it, but that's his issue. You have a LTCH (presumably).

Of course there are others here who know the IC and IAC better than I do. So if I'm wrong on the last point, please correct me...

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    For $140 I would go out and measure and take some pics to make sure that this is as it is supposed to be:

If it's not just like the code requires, you can keep your $140!!

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    For $140 I would go out and measure and take some pics to make sure that this is as it is supposed to be:

If it's not just like the code requires, you can keep your $140!!

That's it, circumvent the spirit of the law. That's the new age thought process of modern day America.

Top Bottom