• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Hypothetical... If someone was kicking at my front door, and I were to go out the back door, circle around and catch them in the act, would I be within my rights to shoot them?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure in Indiana you can protect your property with lethal force. Compounding factors would be: multiple assailants, reasonable suspicion that they're their to cause harm to your property or person, it's night time, the level of aggression they're putting forth.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But what if DoggyMama was inside, and I wanted to protect her, while drawing any possible return fire away from her? I know it's a stretch. Just idle ponderings...
    If your aim is true through that door, there will be no return fire. Just sayin. :thumbsup:

And keep her away from you inside the house. She should be as far away as possible in a bedroom closet, bathroom, or ideally, the basement.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ohio. No charges.

This incident went beyond kicking or pounding on the door. The stupid intruder broke the door frame.

In the calm of this particular moment I wouldn't recommend shooting at scary noises on the other side of the door unless additional threat information was present, like the guy in the Dallas (I think) apartment who could see via his camera that the door kickers were armed.

A not-so-carefully curated selection of door kicking and knocking:

In this one, a grand jury no-billed a homeowner who shot a plainclothes state trooper thru the door after the trooper followed the shooter home following a roadrage incident.

I have read of several others in Texas that aren’t coming up on the first search page, including one in my local town. They usually fall into one of two groups: real home invaders, and people who have obliterated their reasoning functions via self-inflicted chemicals and think they’re breaking into their own houses.

Tick-tock games seem to be massively stupid.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ohio. No charges.

His aim was 8" high or low, depending. (hits on shoulders it appears)

So I give it a 8 out of 10.

I already said I didn't want to mess up the door! That's why I'd want to be outside. :):
    If he's trying to kick your door in, its already messed up. And if you try to flank him, overpenetration is just gonna mess up the door, brickwork, siding, etc. Or even your neighbor's stuff. Which would be even more expensive. Door is already toast from the idiot's kicking, so stay inside and keep the damage confined to JUST the door. It will be cheaper that way.

I'm a problem solver.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And keep her away from you inside the house. She should be as far away as possible in a bedroom closet, bathroom, or ideally, the basement.
    This also came to mind

Smith-Levine.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure in Indiana you can protect your property with lethal force. Compounding factors would be: multiple assailants, reasonable suspicion that they're their to cause harm to your property or person, it's night time, the level of aggression they're putting forth.
    IANAL (I am not a lawyer) but this is not correct. (Paraphrasing here) Use of force (including deadly force) is authorized to prevent or terminate the unlawful entry into a domicile, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle. This is what's known as Castle Doctrine.

Outside of where Castle Doctrine applies, the self-defense statute states deadly force is authorized to prevent loss of life, serious bodily injury, a forcible felony, hijacking of an aircraft.

Unlawful force can be met with equivalent force.

In some States you can "shoot people to protect your stuff." Indiana is not one of them.

Don't get me started on Nantz v State 2001.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Hypothetical... If someone was kicking at my front door, and I were to go out the back door, circle around and catch them in the act, would I be within my rights to shoot them?
    not at attorney, but I can see a prosecutor asking you why you didn't just run away. Assuming you live alone. If you had a loved one inside I see no problem with it, though I think it's not sound strategy to leave them alone inside while you're outside.
    If you stayed in the house and even shot through the door I think you'd be good.

Top Bottom