• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Long story short 10 years ago we laid tile in the bathroom and didnt lay backer board down. 3 guesses what Im dealing with now?

So the wife wants that cracked crap replaced. Here is my question. Do I need 1/4" or 1/2" backer? its an 8'x5' bath, built in 1981. We are looking at 13 or 16" square tiles.

The only gotcha is around the toilet I had to build a box frame in the floor joists and replace a 2x2 square of rotted subfloor around the toilet flange. I used outdoor rated plywood and its not exactly identical in height to the subfloor. (1/16"? Diff)

So what sez the flooring experts? Do I need do anything about the difference around the toilet? Or will the backer board be enough?

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Here goes my two cents worth.. Probably the Hardibacker ( my recommendation over Durrock)can take care of the difference in heights but I would feather it out with a belt sander. Especially if the area is going to be an area of weight support transfer such as standing and sitting. 1/4" normally will work for flooring, but depending on how level you are may require going to the thicker size. Minor difference in level can be taken out with the mortar.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thx. another user PMed me somem suggestions, and I'll be replacing that treated with standard 3/4 subfloor to level it out and correct any offgassing issues. (Now I realize that after boxing off that rotten section surrounding the flange, if it WERE to get icky and rot again I can simply replace it; I dont need to worry about it NOT rotting. (and besides, I'm a decent plumber that knows how wax rings work and how to install a toilet properly to negate the issue)

And I was going for the Hardibacker. That adds a whopping $8 I think to the job.

Top Bottom