• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have been thinking about how to cut wood effectively in a long term scenario. I have thought about a timber saw but don't really know anything about them. Anyone have one for such an occasion or know anything about them?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think he is talking about a large two person saw that will bring a tree down in a few minutes... ill be interested in the responses as well..... be sure to buy something to sharpen it w/ as well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would think for a long term event, a two man saw would be MUCH more efficient. If I am by myself cutting wood I will not be processing large volumes.... a two man saw would probably take less than a third of the time and effort than the saw you linked to... but we might have different ideas on the subject.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    A two man saw is something down the road, the one man saw is something I would like to get now, and I have a couple of uses for it around the house so it's easier for me to justify the purchase to the wife.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    You will need some of this too.

spinach.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a couple (not for sale). I have a 2-man saw and a one man/2 man saw

Like these:
    th

th

Can sharpen with a file. Are you just making firewood or lumber? If lumber then you also need a pit saw or something like that.

Actually for the price ($75) you're not doing that bad. I would find out if you can get the "two man" handle to put in that hole at the front end of the saw. Mine has two holes (~35" also) so you can put the vertical handle at either end.

Funny thing... My dad tried to sell the two man saw at a garage sale about 25 years ago and couldn't get $10 for it.

Last edited:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    For small firewood 5"< I would never pick another saw period.
    Sugoi Silky Hand Saw 420mm on eBay!

It is a no joke no frills wood light saber. If I were you I would get designated saws for the task at hand. Any sacrifice they make in a manual saw for it to do two things has a direct effect on its efficiency. Which means you work harder.

Click picture

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have been using Silky saws for years and they are worth every penny.
    And a few years ago I took your advice and bought one. I now give them as gifts and have a few more picked out for myself. Ounce for ounce they are the Sh**. I found a local store that had a lot of their products in stock and on display. THAT was a great day.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sawing lumber requires a lot of calories, which will be few and far between in a long term scenario. A fun and easy alternative for fire-fuel: just use the furniture from your mother-in-law's house :D

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    How do they hold up as to staying sharp?

Very well as long as you keep it out of the dirt and dead wood.

I have had a blade last 6 months and used it everyday M-F for commercial use but I kept it clean and oiled.

And they come razor sharp from the factory. Trust me on that one. :xmad:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Very well as long as you keep it out of the dirt and dead wood.

I have had a blade last 6 months and used it everyday M-F for commercial use but I kept it clean and oiled.

And they come razor sharp from the factory. Trust me on that one. :xmad:

A few years back I touched my thumb with one during a morning hunt wind change prompted a stand movement. That touch cause what would appear to be a scene from a horror movie from one little poke. Blood all over me my stand a semi circle around my stand and I had to make a compression wrap from a nylon strap in my stand.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    A few years back I touched my thumb with one during a morning hunt wind change prompted a stand movement. That touch cause what would appear to be a scene from a horror movie from one little poke. Blood all over me my stand a semi circle around my stand and I had to make a compression wrap from a nylon strap in my stand.

My first experience was a climbing job on the north side of Indy, I was thinning out a magnolia (soft wood) and was cutting a branch approx 2" dia. I was used to using Fanno and corona saws previously. And the saw went through the limb on the first swipe and went directly in my knee and cut about a 8" gash. I used the first aid kit on my saddle to treat the wound and continued the climb.

Top Bottom