• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I walk outside in a poorly maintained train yard for 12 hours a day. I had a pair of wolverines that I loved, can't remember the name of them, but they were nice and light but still waterproof for the summer. In the winters I'd switch to the timberland pro "smelter" (I think) with the 8 inch tops, those wore like iron and were insulated very well, even though they were heavy and I looked like Herman Munster.

My company just switched to Hi-test brand and they all blow.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Red Wing boots with supersole, goretex lined.
    Thorogood work boots dual density soles.
    Both very good boots & made in USA.
    Both come in true EEE size also if needed.
    What size do you wear?

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I'm partial to Georgia Boot Company Georgia Giants. They are about $130 and feel like tennis shoes but wear well. The only knock on them (and it's a big one) is they moved production to the Dominican Republic a couple years ago for this model only.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If you're looking for hiking and field boots I can highly recommend the Meindel boots that Cabelas sells. I have the slightly longer hunter version of these ones..

Cabela's | Meindl Men's "Perfekt?" Hikers : Cabela's

They have literally hundreds of miles of upland hunting wear on them and they are holding up beautifully. Woods, brush, creeks, prairies...they have taken me a long way. Extremely light weight and comfortable. And a lifetime guarantee on them.

Give them a look...I think you'll be impressed. I know I have been.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've had every brand you can think of. Always managed to get about eight months out of them. My last three pair have been the Timberland Pro 8" Boondock...I get about a full year out of these. Very comfortable right out of the box.

How on earth can you get 12 years out of a pair of work boots?
    Keep them cleaned and oiled, then resole them as needed. Kimmel Shoe Repair in Broad Ripple does a fantastic job of restoring worn out boots. I got all kinds of questions about "did you get new boots?".

My vote (based only on my experience) is for Danner, Saloman, or Redwing--check whether it's their "worx" line, those are made in china. They may be good too, just FYI.

I can't speak to the $200 req, I haven't bought a new pair in 10 years

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    It took me about 14 years of buying at least two pairs of work boots a year to finally start spending the bigger bucks on my boots. I switched to Red Wings, used to buy Wolverines mostly. The latter of the two, from my experience, are comfortable right away. The RWs are stiffer (nothing like Danners) and do take a few days of wear to soften them up. The RWs are my go to boots now. They just hold up. Find a pair that has a Vibram brand sole paired with Gortex and you'll be right as rain.

I'm still buying a new pair yearly, due to the waterproofing loosing its abilities to keep me dry. In my line of work keeping ones feet dry is usually a daily challenge. Gortex is non negotiable, for me it's a must. My feet are muddy almost everyday, even on a beautiful sunny day. You said waterproof is important... it doesn't get any better then Gortex. RW has great customer service as well, and you can drop by the store and have them re conditioned and sealed (for free) to help maintain your investment.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would stay away from the Danner,or at least make sure they do not have the foam rubber layered in their soles.I have 2 pairs of the Workman 16281,and both have the stitching pulling loose from the soles.They are by far the most comfortable,and I will send them back to have them repaired.For me,the high end Wolverines did not last any longer than their low ends,about a yearBut again,I am very hard on work boots,and for me, the RW have held up better anything.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I've had every brand you can think of. Always managed to get about eight months out of them. My last three pair have been the Timberland Pro 8" Boondock...I get about a full year out of these. Very comfortable right out of the box.

How on earth can you get 12 years out of a pair of work boots?

Must be an equipment operator.. ;)

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I dont know about aggressive tread, but i like thorogood boots. They are made in the usa and they are a quality boot. If you care about where your stuff is made these are the boots for you. You can usually find them for around $160.

bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    I killed my wolverines in less than a year and moved up to them thorogoods in the picture above. Best boots i have had i have been wearing them for anout 2 years now i will have to resole them soon but i can see these boots lasting 10 years easy.

Top Bottom