• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Hey y'all, I've been gone from here for some time. I'm back and ready to do a build. I'd like to get everyones opinions on what are practical MUST HAVES for AR build. Things to watch out for and what is just flashy gizmos. I will not be doing any competition shooting so all the fancy stuff is not needed. Basically for a range of 100yds. I have a budget of roughly 1500 bucks. So far I think I'll be going with a spikes lower and chambered for 5.56. Could I get some opinions of what you experienced folks would recommend?

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have been buying/hunting parts for a build also, and have noticed that a lot of things for ARs are getting hard to find now. Lots of things out of stock and back ordered. Palmetto Arms has a mid length upper minus the charging handle and bolt carrier group for $349.

Dave

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Are you wanting optics, magazines, sling, light and stuff like that within the $1500? If you're looking for everything for that price, find a Palmetto State Armory rifle kit you like and order it. Also order a Palmetto State Armory lower receiver (have the orders separate to save you money). Take a little time once the parts and lower arrive to build it. Shoot it some and determine what you really want on the rifle.

If you look around and compare specs, you can get a rifle with very similar specs or even the same specs for less money than some of the big names. If a higher dollar brand is what you want, that works too...looking at rifles like Spikes and PSA on up are all quality.

After you get the rifle and accessories sorted buy a stack of magazines, a pile of ammo, and enjoy. (And if you've got enough left over, have an Aimpoint Pro shipped to me, thanks.)

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Can I join the "Me too Club"????

I'm looking to build as well. Not sure where to start yet.

Most likely want a detachable carry handle, chambered in .223/5.56 and take a .22LR cartridge. Course its gotta be black, simple flash hider, flip up rear sight & fixed front, 16" chrome barrel and adjustable tail stock. Budget is about the same.

Stripped lower: cast or milled ---> cast with flashing cleaned up, then anodized.

Barrel: unknown at this time.

Upper: unknown at this time.

Stock: not sure but want something decent (Magpul?).

Pictures of goodies help as well as where to find.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    i would like to weigh in on this not trying to thread jack, but would it not make sense to make a .357 mag upper? I mean you could prob use the same mag with no problem and with less steps to reload.

I am not an AR advacate because of this reason only. I would buy one tommorrow if i could buy it in this round. I do love the adaptibility of the platform and the accuracy but this is the only caliber i would buy it in.

Oh i hate glocks too...

ok now im just making waves.

seriously though contact 452browning he has done EXTENSIVE research into this and is by far my go to guy on stocks, mags, optics (cqb), internal parts, and budget builds.

Last edited:

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I did some research and found that Superior Arms have something somewhat unique. They did contracts for militart and civilian. The lower has a 3rd position stop on it. It doesn't make it fully auto but cool. Also there is an additional 1/4" set screw in the area where the grip attachs to lower. (part where you wrap your hand around to hold) and that screw is for help creating a accu-trigger. So a stock trigger group can be modified by screwing in the allen set screw and it will push up on the very end of the sear and spring on trigger. There web site tells about it. I think that these were manufactured in 2001 to 2005 or so. I can't wait to try that out. The CMMG trigger group in the lower parts kit was very crisp and clean. The gunsmith told me it was between 4 to 6lbs on trigger pull. So with the set screw maybe I can decrease that without having to go to a 2 stage trigger or match trigger.
    Just a though. Look up the Superior Arms lower and see for yourself.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    All the setscrew does is take out the amount of "pre-travel" or "creep" of a single stage trigger. Doesn't turn it into anything fancy.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! As I was content on doing a build of my own and looking around last night I came across a CMMG 5.56 for $815 new out the door!! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom