• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I agree support other groups as well as the NRA. I have never found any other group as good at the marketing as the NRA. What other group has as many parts to it for supporting education, training, fundraising for others (friends of the nra), magazines with good content, etc. GOA and second amendment foundation are weak on all of this. If another group wants to step up and fill the NRA shoes they better step up their game and quick. The lobbying is critical but a lot of NRA members get things out of these other items they have as well. We do not have industry wide accepted training besides the NRA really. Yes you can go to gunsite or others but how many NRA certified instructors are out there vs some other national group certifying trainers? Maybe I am missing the boat and if so please inform me because I am always looking for other groups that offer this stuff as well besides the NRA. Also what about another event like NRAAM where we can walk through an exhibit hall like that without being a industry member to go to shot show. The other big one in PA I believe is now ran by the NRA as well so GOA and others need to step up their game or NSSF needs to step up and take over the show as well. 80,000 attendees is quite the event.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Taurus gave me a membership with my gun years back, but some of us actually pay attention and the NRA has never seemed like a real force for our rights. I remember reading back in the 1990s of their actions and they seemed pathetic in their efforts.

I am proud to say I have never given them a cent. They still send me recruiting letters, too.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    More info being brought out into the light about the NRA swamp.

I really, really hope the NRA can be fixed. However, since all the past efforts in the last decade to make substantial change have been thwarted, I don't have my hopes up for change from within.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...r-law-firm-spending-lapierre-expense-details/

Hopefully they clean house to survive. Would love for that to happen and have a resurgence and re-focus, maybe even a new mission statement specific to defending 2A.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just had a thought.

Which of you guys that are ******** about the NRA are in the sessions in the Indianapolis State House with Kelly, Coach, Guy and The NRA lawyer.

Because It seems to me that the guys that are in the fight, not just leaving it up to someone else to do are not the ones ********.

Just an observation.

I am not at the statehouse, but I lost count of the e mails and phone calls I made this last session. Several of which were prompted by NRA-ILA alerts.

I see a lot of members in the legislation threads that are not ******** in this one.

Why is that?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just had a thought.

Which of you guys that are ******** about the NRA are in the sessions in the Indianapolis State House with Kelly, Coach, Guy and The NRA lawyer.

Because It seems to me that the guys that are in the fight, not just leaving it up to someone else to do are not the ones ********.

Just an observation.

I am not at the statehouse, but I lost count of the e mails and phone calls I made this last session. Several of which were prompted by NRA-ILA alerts.

I see a lot of members in the legislation threads that are not ******** in this one.

Why is that?

Do you think the criticisms are not legitimate? Have you considered that it might not be merely *****ing?

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I spent some time this morning reading through some of the leaked documents. [FONT=&amp]$275k spent at a single Hollywood clothing boutique. $29k for a Christmas trip to the Bahamas. $17k in airfare to Budapest (over $40k total for the trip). And the list goes on and on. It's flabbergasting.[/FONT]

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just had a thought.

Just an observation.

Why is that?

I've done the same with emails, etc. However, that does not preclude the potential that NRA leadership is misusing funds. If you think it does, then you are not interested in seeing the truth (no matter what it shows). The leadership of any organization is not beyond reproach, especially when finances are not being handled transparently.

The stakes are too high to have blind faith on this. Would you rather the organization purge leadership which is putting it's own wants higher than the needs of the members of the organization or ignore the situation to keep up a good front? Do you think ignoring this will make the org stronger in the long run, or do you think addressing it and putting in processes to keep financial corruption from happening again will make it stronger in the long run?

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am saying that I would not prefer to throw out the baby with the bath water.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Then maybe its time to drain out the water ourselves, before adversaries do it for us by eliminating tax status, etc, and the corruption drives away potential new members, etc, and the org's accounts are drained, etc.

Clearly the leadership that is likely involved here is not going to do it themselves.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I have been an NRA life member since 1983. I remember when all life members reveived a copy of the annual report. That stopped in the early 90's.
    Seems like the reason why is now explained.
    Don't know quite how to fix it, but am not giving them any more donations until their finances are in order...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have been an NRA life member since 1983. I remember when all life members received a copy of the annual report. That stopped in the early 90's.
    Seems like the reason why is now explained.
    Don't know quite how to fix it, but am not giving them any more donations until their finances are in order...

Yep.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Who here is saying that? Well, unless the baby you think shouldn't be thrown out is LaPeirre. It appears that he's had some kind of arrangement with Ack-Mac for some time, where he charges extravagant expenses to them, and then they hide those expenses in the billing to the NRA to cover it. If that's true, LaPeirre and anyone in the NRA who is helping to cover this up IS the bathwater, not the baby. I think the baby not to be thrown out is the NRA. I want the NRA to be the strong and representative advocates for gun owners that they should be. LaPeirre shouldn't be above scrutiny for any reason.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All I hear is a bunch of noise, I don't know what the problems are.

I think changes need to be made, but there is no mechanism to take care of it. Obviously the board is not going to do anything.

Most of the negatives are being perpetuated by the gun grabbers and their goal is not to clean up the NRA and make it more effective.

So, what can we actually do?

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Most of the negatives are being perpetuated by the gun grabbers and their goal is not to clean up the NRA and make it more effective.
    The latest round of revelations on NRA leadership financial malfeasance is not being perpetuated by the gun grabbers any more than reports of priest molestations are being perpetuated by anti-Catholic forces. These are self-inflicted wounds.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The latest round of revelations on NRA leadership financial malfeasance is not being perpetuated by the gun grabbers any more than reports of priest molestations are being perpetuated by anti-Catholic forces. These are self-inflicted wounds.

Now the NRA is molesting priests?

My God! It's worse than I thought. :runaway:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The NRA survives off fudds who won't question gospel it's the reason WLP still has a job.

I would tend to believe its more the folks who take classes, seminars and shoot events that The NRA plans, supports, keeps score of said events than the average fudd.
    A huge amount of shooting events would fade away if The NRA wasn't around.
    And I wanted WLP gone 30+ years ago.

Top Bottom