• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Picked up a Tingle Manufacturing Co. Hawkin believe to be .45 Cal Cap lock. Have heard multiple stories as to what it is worth. It is for sale, by the way. I got as payment for a debt to me. The Gunsmith, FFL dealer that cleaned it up for my friend said it should be worth $2400 in present condition.

He then took it to two different appraisers and they each told him around $600 but that they would do him a favor a and go a head and take it off his hands for full appraisal value. Sounds fishy to me. I need to get as much out of it as I can and whatever I get for it comes off his repair bill.

I can not find a date on it. But it says it is number 600 and it was manufactured in Shelbyville, IN. It was made by Bob Tingle between 1958 and 1970. I will be taking it to the 1500 for sale but would like to know more about it first. Thanks any info would be awsome.

yotewacker

Expert
    Feb 25, 2009
    I knew old man Tingle. Had friends that worked for him. He custom built every gun. Some were really wild. I have shot a few of them and the shoot really sweet. But I have no idea what they go for. If it has a the really fancy Burlwood, I think it would have a high resale, otherwise maybe just a little more than a new high quality muzzy. His death was a surprise to us all.

Last edited:

steif

Sharpshooter
    Feb 8, 2009
    Tingle

Being in the area, I have run across several tingle guns over the years. I can't find any valuations that are consistent, but if the appraiser offers full appraised value, either they collect them, or they are trying to pull a fast one. That would be like a car dealer appraising a car that would sell on the lot for $10,000 and offering $10,000 for it. Sounds fishy to me as well.

I have several rifles and handguns made by him, the pistols are single shot inline black powders that appear from a distance to have a contender look. I have noticed on all items that they are top quality, and very accurate. I believe his rifles were a favorite and still are at the Friendship shoots.

That could be the place to find out about it, when the spring shoot is going on, or possible someone that advertises in the NMLRA (National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) magazine.

Rocket

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Thanks very much to all. My father and I used to belong to the NMLRA when I was a teenager. I will try that route. Fortunately I am not in a hurry to unload it, it is always a good when the family in the safe multiplies. It looks good next to the .50 cal Hawkin I built as a kid. I am going to get some pics of it and post them. I will keep looking for info.

yotewacker

Expert
    Feb 25, 2009
    Yes, Please show us a pic. I remember one he built that looked like an old Kentucky rifle, except it had a cylinder where the hammer is. Basically it was a six shot rifle. Very cool looking.
    Mr. Tingle walked out to get the mail one day when it was very cold out. He set down on a stump next to his mailbox and froze to death. Cars would go by an honk to say hi, thinking he was ok. I think he was in his 80's then. He was a very nice man. He don quite a bit for the Muzzle loader industry. Around he he is well known like Lee Jurras and Super Vel ammo.

jim b

Marksman
    Nov 12, 2008
    I watched a Tingle left handed ML on gunbroker for a long time but did not purchase it. Here is the link to the auction:
    Tingle 45 Cal Black Powder Rifle, Left hand : Muzzleloading Collectibles at GunBroker.com

It ended up selling for $400 which was probably a really good deal, I just didn't need another hawken style percussion gun. I could not find much out about the Tingle guns either while i was looking at this one. Seems like he was know more for his target blackpowder pistols. As someone else suggested you should be able to find a lot more info from NMLRA.

Rocket

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Lets see if this pic uploads. Nope I discovered I do not know haw to get a pic from my computer. It is asking me for a url, it is not on a site. It was a nice thought I will ask smokingman if he knows how. He will be here at one then lunch then 1500

yuma93

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2012
    Hello, I just happened along this cite and found you guys, I read a question about Tingle and thought that I may be of some help...The Tingle Target Rifle of 1961 was and still is an extremely accurate Black Powder Rifle. It is not a Hawken simply a half stock rifle. I worked for the Tingle Family in the shop from 1967-1968 while I was in school there in Shelbyville Indiana. When John Jr was killed in a car accident in 69 at Friendship In . John Sr shut the shop down for a while. After his Death in the 70s I believe no one kept it open. and the cabin and shop was closed and eventually sold to the American Legion. The Logs were cut up for firewood and a new Legion Post was built on the site.I own a few of these Tingle Model of 1961. I built them there when I was a kid.Most of them have serial numbers but the earlier ones did not. The only sought after ones that I know of were the heavy bench model, model of 1961BR that had false muzzles on the uncrowned barrels for shooting mini type balls or silk/paper patch balls. They came with Lyman front and rear sights but was considered a special custom piece since he made all of his own barrels it was time consuming. at least. The Special BR versions had longer flatter fore ends to accommodate bench shooting.The Shelbyville area is saturated withe Tingle guns but he never went National due to Val Fornegett of Navy Arms and Kirkland Turner of Dixie Guns. Most of the standard models of 1961 sell for $250-375. in Pristine shape. The Model of 1961BR brings closer to $700-850. But do to performance and sadly not the Tingle name. His Uncle Mr. Brady Meltzer supplied the walnut there in Shelby County for the stocks. That Farm and Woods is still in the Meltzer Family.
    (Additional) The cabin that the Tingle MFG. was in in was the Balser Brent Family out of the locally famed book by Thomas Hendricks; The Bears of Blue River. Was reconstructed on Miller Ave. in Shelbyville In after WW11 from the original Family Site seven miles West from Shelbyville on Blue River. I hope this helps some.
    Yuma

Rocket

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Thanks for the information. As soon as I have time I will dig it out of the sAfe and look at the stock better to see if it has a flat fore grip.

sclemenson

Plinker
    Dec 10, 2013
    North
    Hey All!
    I have been searching high and low on my father's behalf for any information regarding a Tingle .40 cal. carbine. It's as though they never existed, although he broke out an old catalogue proving they do exist!

Has anyone out there ever heard of it? Better yet, anyone happen to own one? Although my dad would LOVE to own one, he would be happy enough with some good pictures, as he likes to build replicas of all makes and models.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    The only "Tingle"firearm of any configuration,that I saw bring high dollar,was a O/U shotgun(2500.00) -----single shot pistols=$250/300 ------half stock rifles=$400/$600"mint"----The "Tingle"firearms show up frequently at Friendship(spring and fall matches)

I have owned about every style "Tingle" firearm(started ML,1966)that was made,except the O/U(would like to have one)---- the only Tingle I have now is a "Mule Ear"11ga single.

If the 2 barrel(O/U) is worth 2500.00---then my 1 barrel ought to be worth 1250.00????????---maybe not..

tallend

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom