• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have seen the conversation more than once and have even asked myself. Do you need a full length sizing die, or a small base sizing die. People have reported having issues with rounds not properly seating, getting stuck in the chamber. This is per Lee's instructions for their full length sizing die.
    "Screw the full length sizer until it touches the shell holder. Then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/3 turn more. Raise the ram and tighten the lock ring finger tight".
    There is slop in the shell holder and the ram. So you have to compensate for that. So, if you are having problems, I would first check to make sure your die is properly set up. I just loaded my first batch of .223. I followed the instructions and my brass was sized properly. I seated a bullet in a case with no primer or powder and made sure it properly chambered and extracted in my M4. I hope that this may prevent some headaches in the future for those new to reloading.

Patriot.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    That pretty much sums it up. I began loading .223 back in 1987 for everything from a TC Contender pistol to my AR. It's not hard but it is time consuming on a single stage press like I use (Lyman Orange Crusher). I did run a batch of 50 that wouldn't chamber and ended up learning from that. I highly recommend the L.E. Wilson case gage for anyone who loads .223/.556 ammo. It will ensure that the resized case will chamber correctly as well as show you if the case needs trimmed.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I agree with o'shark, get a case gauge I run every round I make through it to make sure. I found a hand full that we're no good and it saved me a lot of headache.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I do believe some people get excited and jump right in. My first time setting up I always read the instructions for each die.
    As you should.

When reloading.
    A tip for setting up a fls die for a particular AR/chamber is to screw the die in until it is just short of where you think it should be. Size/deprime the case. Separate your upper from your lower receiver and chamber the sized case. Attempt to close the bolt by putting pressure on the rear of the carrier with your thumb. Realize there will be some resistance from the ejector and the extractor. At this point you should not be able to close the bolt. Readjust the fls die by 1/8 turn clockwise until you're able to close the bolt in this manner. Once you are able to close the bolt, do another 5 or 10 before settling on your final adjustment.
    This method will prevent any unnecessary working of the brass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Litlratt has it correct. Overworking the brass will diminish its service life. The method he described will work fine. I went one step farther and bought Redding "competition" shell holder sets. Each numbered shell holder stops the sizing die a couple of thousandths shorter than the last one. You can repeat that perfect size by keeping track of the size in your reloading notebook. ie: the 26 inch spacegun needs the +.004" inch shell holder with the full length sizer die, the 24 inch spacegun needs the + .006" shell holder. Since the shell holder is a positive mechanical stop, you can repeat the measurement without having to remeasure and retest each time you reload.

If you have more than one rifle in the same caliber, that "perfect" setting probably will not be the same rifle to rifle. At one time I had several .223 semi autos and a .223 bolt action. To keep life simple, I just loaded everything to fit the tightest chambered rifle and threw away the brass after 4 or 5 times.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I made sure I read through all the paperwork that came with the dies and done a little research on line to make sure I did the right thing before I tried to shoot any out of my AR. An I also had no trouble at all with my first loadings:yesway:. Instruction sheets are a good thing, we just dont have to admit we use them;):D

Top Bottom