• ...and so much more!
  • 7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    :+1: To the Tippecanoe Co. Sheriffs Dept.

As most on here know, I'm home a lot of the time, as Bills works about 2 counties over and usually works a 24 hour shift, sometimes more. I keep "Betsy" with me when he's not home (I tend to name things, so "Betsy" is my PK.380) just as a bit of added protection. Especially since I'm not exactly mobile at the moment. I'm gimpy and still hobbling around with a Moon Boot on my foot, for at least the next 4 to 6 weeks, till the bone heals up.

I had laid down for a nap, mostly because 1)wearing this thing tires me out, (it's rather heavy) and 2) because our daughter saw fit to give me a raging case of Bronchitis, adding insult to injury. Literally! We had all 3 of the dogs, and as usual, they were all on the bed, snoozing with me. All of a sudden we had a heavy pounding on the front door, as well as a constant ringing of our doorbell. This went on for several minutes. Thinking something was terribly wrong, I got out of bed as fast as I could (the dogs jumped over me and were already at the door and kitchen window, which I'd had the presents of mind to partially close the blinds on) and started to hobble as fast as I could to get to the door. When I got to our bedroom door I stopped dead in my tracks, I didn't like what I was looking at!

There stood a young man (at least as far as I could see he looked young), pounding on the door, twisting the knob, and banging on the window trying to get someone's attention. Normally I'd have at least gone to the window to see what was up and if I could help (I NEVER open the door, unless it's a friend or neighbor that I recognize), but this guy gave me a weird feeling, and he was "scruffy" meaning disheveled, with wild hair and a really angry look on his face. I took Betsy out of her case and put her in my bathrobe pocket, and my Kimber Pepper Spray gun in the other.

The dogs were going ballistic, and the harder he pounded, the more aggressive they got, and the more creeped out I got! I wasn't expecting anyone, no delivery person, no express mail, and it was a bit late in the day for that anyway. I stayed where I was, because altho I could see him, he couldn't see me, the line of vision is at an angle, which hides me quite well. After about 10 minutes of this, the "scruffy" guy left. I did get a good look at him, called Bill and asked his opinion on what I should do from there.

He advised me to write down as much as I could remember, and then call the Sheriffs non-eme # to report it, and possibly have an officer come out and check out the rest of the property. Our backyard has a 7 foot privacy fence, but it can be hopped if one is agile enough, so I opened all the doors to the bedrooms, giving the dogs access to the whole house, in case someone tried to break in that way. I did call the Sheriffs office immediately, on the non-eme line, explained what was going on, and asked if they could please send a Deputy to check things out, since I had no intention of setting foot outside of either the front or back door, and the dogs were still stalking around the house, growling, even the dispatcher remarked that I mush have some pretty big dogs, cuz she could hear them in the background. She said she'd send someone out as soon as possible.

While waiting I called a couple of our neighbors, 2 of which I couldn't get a hold of, and them being elderly (early 80's) I got a bit worried. I called our neighbor across the street, and found out that there'd been a rash of car breakins, and some attempted home invasions as well. With very little outcome, as someone was home each time, except for the cars, they got hit in the middle of the nite. She'd also seen the guy, and he'd done the same scenario at several other people's houses. He'd plead poor and homeless, and ask for any spare $$ that you could give him. To me that's up there with "my car broke down, can I come in and use your phone". NOT A CHANCE! I'll call for them, but I don't allow anyone in the house if I'm here alone. Oh, and she told me that the police had informed her that there was a suspected "Meth Lab" somewhere within our subdivision. Great, just what I needed to calm my nerves!

Anyway, a Deputy showed up about 10 minutes later, and I had to motion him to the garage, so I could hear him over the din of the dogs, who were still on "full alert" status. He was one of the nicest gentlemen I've ever had the pleasure of meeting! He was very caring and concerned, especially since I was rather laid up, and we chatted while I gave him all the info regarding the man. The Deputy said he's been seen in the neighborhood before, and was considered a "person of suspicion" already. He had me go back into the house, close the garage door, and he checked out the rest of the property, from one end to the other. I even had him come in, and go out the back door, to check out the shed and the little spaces between it and the regular fence, in case someone was hiding in there. He did a very professional and totally through search of the property, then went and paroled the neighborhood, just to make sure he was really gone.

When he finally came back to the house, he reassured me that the problem was being addressed, the Dept was aware of it, and they'd send some extra patrols for the next several nights, just to make sure the guy didn't come back. And he did this with the utmost kindness, consideration and a total sense of relief on my part, that no matter what, Deputy Black would be there to help me out.

He gave me his business card, and told me to call him, anytime I needed help and he'd be right over. I rested more easily that nite, knowing there were people out there who were watching over my safety and well being. I also called back to dispatch and asked for his supervisor. Apparently he's a rookie, and hasn't been on the streets that long. I gave him a glowing review I also told his Supervisor that with as gorgeous as he was, if he could guarantee Deputy Black would be the one responding each time, I could manage at least 2 to 3 non-eme calls a week. He is gorgeous! LOL His supervisor laughed and said he'd see what they could do, and thanked me, cuz they don't usually get calls like mine. As Bill and I both say, "we're married, not dead!"

So thank you Deputy Black, for taking the time necessary to rid me of my fear, to reassure me that all was well, and I'd be protected while I slept, with no worries about someone breaking in. He was funny too, as I turned to go inside after our chat, he remarked "well, I see you have a bit of protection of your own". I then realized that "Betsy" was sticking butt first out of my bathrobe pocket. I smiled and asked him if he'd like to see her and he said sure. I pulled her out gently by the grips and handed it to him. He looked her all over and remarked that she looked really sharp, how was I at firing it? I said "great", and flipped on the laser pointer. He laughed! Then I pulled my Kimber Pepper Spray gun out of my other pocket and showed him that. He laughed and asked "and you called me why"? I told him "because you make me feel safer and not all alone".

I had him check on our neighbors, who were fine (apparently Mr. Scruffy had missed their house) and they were grateful that someone had decided to check on them. That's the way we are in this neighborhood, one for all and all for one. We all look out for each other, there's strength in numbers! So all was and still is well, and Deputy Black is (IMO) the BEST DEPUTY on the Dept!

But as a side note, those are usually the experiences I've had, and continue to have with LEO's, I'm nice and helpful to them, and vice versa. I've never had one even attempt to bully me or belittle me, they just come out to where ever I am, and help me with what ever I need them to help with. We have the best LEO's in this county, bar none!

Thanks!
    7th Stepper

Last edited:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Glad all is well. Heal up and get well.
    Also a big "Thumbs Up" to Tippecanoe Co. Sheriffs Dept.

Great post. Heal up fast, it's bummer being "down".

Thanks to both of you, I'm hobbling pretty well, but totally going against Drs orders. I'm supposed to be "non weight bearing" but the crutches only trip me up more, the house isn't set up for a wheelchair, and a walker would work, but it's a PITA, so I hobble and try and stay off it as best I can. Besides, I've got to have a bit of stamina, I fully intend on going to NFA day and having some fun shooting things I've only seen in TV shows and/or movies.

The guys are being great, and very supportive of me, so I'll be able to have the fun I've been dreaming about for about a year and a half. I missed last year, I was in CA having major back surgery. Our daughter refers to me as her "Mrs. Potato Head" mom. I come with interchangable parts. :): And she decided today that I'm no longer allowed to pick my own wardrobe for going out in public. It's not hot, but it's not really cold, and I'm in one of those "inbetween" stages where if I wear shorts, I'll get chilled and probably sicker, and if I wear long pants, they won't go over my "moon boot". So I totally embarrassed her and wore midi pants, tube sox, a TShirt, 1 tennis shoe & a Moon Boot. She about died of embarrassment! She was mortified the whole time we were at the Drs office. <evil grin>
    Hmmmm, payback for when she went thru her weird stages of dressing when she was a teen? We parents can be SOOOO unruly at times, there's just no controlling us! :laugh:

I'd love to bring her to NFA day with us, but ironically enough, she HATES guns! Won't even touch one.......yet. We're working on that one, little by little. And kids think THEY have the market cornered on sneaky! HA!

But anyway, I digress, thanks for the warm wishes, and a definite +1 to the Deputy, and the whole Dept!

7th Stepper

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Good to hear.

Deputy Black is a personal friend of mine and we've had the privelage of being able to work together a lot on the Fire/EMS side as well.

He is a stand up guy if there ever was one and is just great at all aspects of public safety (fire, ems, police).

We tried to snag him for the County EMS service but he decided that becoming a Sheriff's Deputy was something he wanted to do more.

He will probably have me arrested for posting this picture, but it was printed in the local paper so I guess it's fair game.

33991101001121092590781.jpg

33991101001121092590781.jpg

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Good to hear.

Deputy Black is a personal friend of mine and we've had the privelage of being able to work together a lot on the Fire/EMS side as well.

He is a stand up guy if there ever was one and is just great at all aspects of public safety (fire, ems, police).

We tried to snag him for the County EMS service but he decided that becoming a Sheriff's Deputy was something he wanted to do more.

He will probably have me arrested for posting this picture, but it was printed in the local paper so I guess it's fair game.

Oh God, you know what you just did, don't you? You jinxed him! Now he has to buy Pizza for everyone his next shift on! Shame on you!:D Curiosity, do you know Dan H (aka Dan Summers), he's our neighbor across the street, and I think Terry Ruley still lives down the road from us as well. Just as I was telling Knupnuff14, we're a good neighborhood, with some GREAT LEO's! I still say I wish my daughter had been home! She'd have needed a drool bib! <giggle> And you're right, he's one HECK of a nice guy, he can answer my eme and non eme calls anytime he wants to! He's a real sweetheart! Please tell him I said HI, and if it's allowed, I'm going to give him a big HUG for making me feel so safe while he was here and after he left!!

7th Stepper

Curiosity clone, are you with TEAS?

Last edited by a moderator:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Great little story, and I'm glad you're OK.... and feeling 'safer'.

Don't know Deputy Black, but kudos to him for both his manner, and for serving. :yesway: :yesway:

Top Bottom