• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This morning I spoke with the attorney for the Tippecanoe County Parks Board. He advised he that: 1) the rule prohibiting the carrying of firearms in Tippecanoe County Parks has been abolished, 2) the signs at park entrances have been modified in an ad hoc manner, new signs will be forthcoming.

Have any INGO members been to a Tippecanoe County park recently?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This morning I spoke with the attorney for the Tippecanoe County Parks Board. He advised he that: 1) the rule prohibiting the carrying of firearms in Tippecanoe County Parks has been abolished, 2) the signs at park entrances have been modified in an ad hoc manner, new signs will be forthcoming.

Not recently...but I will make it a point to check some out. Thinking the amphitheater area might be good...wife likes to hike there.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Okay...Saturday I took the wife for a hike in the Amphitheater park. they had the park rules sign posted...and NOTHING posted about the prohibition of carry firearms.

And yes, I was OCing...ran into a lot of hikers.....mountain bikers......and some parks department folks. All smiles and hellos.

I was in Columbian Park on Sunday for a baseball game. Wasn't carrying....though I probably should have been. I didn't seen any signs prohibiting weapons...but then, I was only at Loeb Stadium.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Allen County Parks never had any signage prohibiting carry, so that has not changed. But the state nature preserves located in the county parks used to prohibit carry. Now they merely prohibit discharge. But the signs still say carry is prohibited in the state nature preserves. Those are not likely to be changed anytime soon due to budget constraints.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But the signs still say carry is prohibited in the state nature preserves. Those are not likely to be changed anytime soon due to budget constraints.

Where are these nature preserves and who administers them?

I believe the signs WILL BE changed very soon even if the supervisors have to put duct tape over them.

Please tell me where they are and I will handle that corner.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Where are these nature preserves and who administers them?

I believe the signs WILL BE changed very soon even if the supervisors have to put duct tape over them.

Please tell me where they are and I will handle that corner.

The signs are provided by the DNR Division of Nature Preserves to all dedicated state nature preserves in the state, whether the state owns them or not. They are all pretty much the same design. I don't know about Tippecanoe County, but in Allen County they are located at Metea and Fox Island County Parks, along with a number of ACRES properties. The DNR DNP website has been updated to eliminate carry prohibition.

List here:
    DNR: List of Nature Preserves

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, apparently we have "nature preserves" in Tippecanoe County. Huh, learn new stuff every day!

And "sand barrens" at that. So, what does one do at a nature preserve? Bird watching? Scout trips? Drum circles and outdoor yoga? Just what goes down at a nature preserve?:dunno:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So, apparently we have "nature preserves" in Tippecanoe County. Huh, learn new stuff every day!

And "sand barrens" at that. So, what does one do at a nature preserve? Bird watching? Scout trips? Drum circles and outdoor yoga? Just what goes down at a nature preserve?:dunno:

Nature preservation (got to have a few relatively undisturbed places somewhere!), nature study (birdwatching, wildflower study, habitat comparison, a roll in the dry leaves or wet grass, hiking), school and scout visits, basic research (with proper permits), naturalist activities (no, not naturist activities, unless no one is around) - you know, non-consumptive uses.

There is still resource management to favor the habitats of interest - controlled hunts, prescribed burns, exotics removal, etc.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Kirk, got a question for you. Loeb field is part of Columbian Park I do believe (though won't swear to it). Yet the Lafayette School corp basically runs the ball field. So it would be my understanding that any event there is somehow attached to the schools, making it off limits for carry, yet carry in the rest of the park would be okay. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Top Bottom