• ...and so much more!
  • theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    Hey folks,
    I just got a Sig .357 semi (SP2022). I've never shot semi's before, just revolvers of various calibres.

Any tips or suggestions for a guy new to semi-auto handguns?

:scratch:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    First off are you sure what caliber it is chambered in? I could be wrong but I believe those are chambered in .40 and 9mm.

Edit, never mind. They are chambered in .357 Sig.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Martin County
    Ah...read the directions? Sorry to sound flippant but I don't know what your level situational awareness is concerning mechanical devices.

To avoid the costly mistakes of others, remember that removing the magazine does not necessarily render the weapon safe. Unlike a revolver where all you have to do is empty the cylinder to unload it, the semiauto pistol requires drawing back the slide to confirm an empty chamber.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, you can't really hold a pistol the same as you hold a revolver.

Be sure that when gripping the pistol that both hands and all fingers are out of the way of the slide.

You do NOT want to have that slide slice you open or break a finger.

-J-

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Search around on youtube and research about how to properly clean and lube your semi-auto. They require a little more attention than revolvers, but can be just as reliable.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Put your ammo away and practice manipulation of your gun, go shoot with a friend, take a basic pistol class. You are new only once but be a Student of the Gun for life. Be Safety Minded At All Times! Have fun!

theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    others, remember that removing the magazine does not necessarily render the weapon safe. Unlike a revolver where all you have to do is empty the cylinder to unload it, the semiauto pistol requires drawing back the slide to confirm an empty chamber.

I do know that slide kicks to the open position after the last round is fired. I did check some Youtubes about the gun, but many seem to be jsut people firing it and no real directions.

I appreciate all the input. :yesway:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I do know that slide kicks to the open position after the last round is fired. I did check some Youtubes about the gun, but many seem to be jsut people firing it and no real directions.

I appreciate all the input. :yesway:

the slide sticks in the open position. it ALWAYS kicks. remember that and you'll keep yourself from a lot of pain.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Dry fire practice with a plastic dummy round found on most firearm websites. Once familiar with the weapon, practice shoot safely at a range with one round loaded in a magazine. Follow all the basic safety rules. Once familiar with the recoil and behavior of the weapon, load up and shoot, and most of all- have fun. You're already familiar with shooting revolvers, it's just another type of gun to learn.

dswanso1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Fishers
    I am also new to shooting, I went shooting at the Eagle Creek range and the guys out there are really helpful and gave me some tips on proper technique, safety, etc. After one trip out there, I felt much more comfortable. Congrats on the new gun and good luck!

theblackhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Bremen
    Went to the range Tuesday and put about 60-70 rounds through it. Didn't do half bad after watchiing some youtubes on firing a semi-auto handgun. Did have problems with ammo which I wrote about in another post. Something about the nickle casing my gun just doesn't like. All the brass cased Fiocchi and AE went down beautifully but not the Speers.
    Wierd... :scratch:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    1) Avoid introducing the web of your hand to the back of the moving slide
    2) Practice working the slide while paying attention to the muzzle direction
    3) Don't damage the magazine lips
    4) Be Safe and Have Fun

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Keep clear of the slide! Seen too many people cut open. Thankfully I've always been fortunate and kept clear.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Went to the range Tuesday and put about 60-70 rounds through it. Didn't do half bad after watchiing some youtubes on firing a semi-auto handgun. Did have problems with ammo which I wrote about in another post. Something about the nickle casing my gun just doesn't like. All the brass cased Fiocchi and AE went down beautifully but not the Speers.
    Wierd... :scratch:
    Bet you had fun picking up all that brass.:D Probably not used to that.

Top Bottom