• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Yah, that road used to cross there at the old state mental hospital. I've seen deer in all four quadrants but never shot except once. Opening day of gun season usually has them moving around but then you won't see many after opening weekend.

Ahhhh nice, I've looked at that spot and it looks nice from Google. Was going to head out there Monday morning probably after work and check it out. Being near the river is convenient for sure.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    going onto public land can be nerve wracking... and not growing up hunting makes it even harder without any guidance. I started hunting 5 years ago... I know a couple hunters but no one I would go out with. So I bought a house on 10 acres near state land*30 second drive* , and have had great success on my little plot. *after two years of rookie mistakes and no deer* Would like to give my deer a break so I went out on state land last year for the first time, and had wished I didn't wait so long. Everyone is nice and if you can hunt on weekdays you practically have the land to yourself. I am still unsure if I want to go out opening weekend of gun...

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I don't have much time to hunt, but when I do, I hunt deer the same way I hunt squirrel. Move slow and do a lot more listening than walking. You will see more with your ears tuned in than if you just go out to a spot and plop down. Our eyes, like those of the prey, are tuned for movement. When you see it, look away slowly and then back to it and disect the area. Sometimes it will be branches playing mind tricks, other times it will be an ear twitching and the entire deer will pop out at you.

When I hunt squirrel, I have the best time. Stalk, listen for cutting or chatter, move to a spot that offers a safe shot and take the game home. I have jumped deer and turkey within 20 yards hunting this way. Best advice I can really give though is to just get out there.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    Best tip you can get it to get in the woods, be still and quiet. The more time you spend hunting the more you will learn. There are a lot of public sites in Indiana that have some great hunting. I have a public spot I go to and see deer nearly every time I go, it did take some time to figure out where to set up, but thats the fun.

Top Bottom