• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I've bought a few sets of tires at Tire Barn in the past, and they've always treated me right. I took the wife's Buick in for a new set of Michelins today, and...lets just say I left wondering if they'll be getting my business in the future.

I'm sitting in the lobby, waiting for them to finish on my car and chatting with the manager, when the kid working on my vehicle pokes his head in and tells the manager there's something they need him to take a look at. Sure enough, the manager comes back a couple minutes later with one of my lug nut in his hand (I know, I know, insert joke here). He tells me that this lug nut is stripped out and won't go back on the lug bolt. I ask him if he has any on hand, and of course he says no. Not surprising, as even the O'Reilly next door had trouble coming up with one, as it is threaded on both the inside and outside for the plastic wheel cover caps to screw onto.

Anyway, I bought one at O'Reilly and took it back to them. At this point, the manager has taken over the job and tries threading the new nut onto the same lug bolt, while I've decided to hang around the bay door and watch. He can only get it started by hand, when it sticks again. He tells me that the threads on the bolt are damaged as well, so he grabs a re-threading tool to clean it up. However, since the kid had said they had all gone on rough, the manager proceeded to re-thread all five bolts.

At this point I've decided that the kid had cross-threaded the nut to begin with, trying to just spin it on and crank it down in one action with the impact gun. This is based on the fact that a) I had rotated these tires by hand with a tire tool just a year ago, and b) the lug nut was only stripped over the first 3/8 inch or so. This doesn't bother me so much - a new lug nut and cleaning up the bolt, and I'm good. People make mistakes, right? And this one wasn't really a big deal. However, the manager continues running the lug nuts in and out on the bolts, not satisfied with how they were going on. He actually pulled the tire back off and continued running the nuts all the way into the rotor, commenting that metal shavings that were making for a poor thread mating.

Now I'm getting the distinct feeling that I'm being set up for the old "pad the mechanic bill" con. Then comes the kicker. After hammering the lug nuts into the rotor with the impact gun, he says, "Look, metal shavings are even coming off the outside of the lug nut." 0_o

I told him point blank, "That's because you're grinding them against the rotor! Put the tire back on, where the rim has the properly beveled sink, and that won't happen." I told him it seemed to me they were fine at this point, so he put the tire back on and wrapped it up.

Finally, I get back to the front counter to settle up, where he proceeds to tell me about his 16-year-old daughter, who he was able to recently "straighten out" by threatening to call the police on her for teenage disobedience and disrespect....let's just say I couldn't get out of there quickly enough.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Something I've learned early: Don't ever take your car somewhere to get work done on it unless you are positively sure you can't do it yourself. Even these places that just change oil can't do the job right most of the time. Youtube is full of videos of very angry people who came out of an oil place and promptly got a seized up DRY engine.

Screachin93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Bluffton
    Yes cant agree more im going to school to be a mechanic and have worked at shops where the people they hire dont have any experiance in the field. What really gets me is when a female walks in thats when they try to feed them a load of BS just to milk them of there money lets just say when they tried that with my wife they will be double thinking doing that again

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I had HUGE problems with a new set of wheels and tires from Discount Tire. A different set of wheels and two different sets of tires later they finally got it right. The owner even gave me some cash for gas. I won't go anywhere else.

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Been in the tire business all my adult life. Pull the brakes and rotor possibly the hub bearing. Replace tbe wheel stud and new nut. Total parts under five bucks. Satisfied customer priceless. I get folks sent to me from walmart all of the time. They don't even attempt to repair damaged studs. Stuff happens. Not going to bat with someone over this kind of problem. Fix it and let them leave happy.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Needs new studs & nuts............

.....................:):

TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael1.jpg

:lmfao:

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Looks like you were right by my house since you are from fishers and I assume walked to O'riley's. I have been to that one on allisonville a few times with no problems. They have also always treated me right. Unfortunately humans work there and we can't be perfect.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Never had good experiences with Tire Barn. They took two weeks to get the tires for my parents' car this summer and didn't bother to call and tell them when they finally did get them (a week after they had said they would). I have always preferred Discount Tire, they are much more friendly.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I had the Tire Barn on e. washington st refuse to price match a buy 3 get #4 free ad from orschlins. I called their corporate office the next day and had the store manager on the phone 5 minutes after I hung up with corp. Needless to say they matched the ad, as it was a no rebate, no gimmicks buy 3 get #4 free ad.

I'm still up in the air about buying any more there.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Bought tires at the local one, on Christmas Eve, and had two flats on Christmas Day!
    Aired up with my small compressor(carried in the trunk for emergencies), went to Christmas Church, and family dinner.
    Held air till next am. Reaired up again, and returned to Tire Barn after Christmas Day.

They checked and found 3 bad electronic air-sensors/ valves and would need to replace them. These worked fine till their guys replaced the tires! How much? $500.00. I was appalled, told them put in rubber stems like old style, and then the tire symbol,on my dash, won't go off, due to the sensors not functioning.
    If the feds had not enacted the electronic warning systems on a vehicle as mandatory, what a scam this is?

Well, end of story is a working set of four new tires, an extra light on my dash(refuse to give up $500.00 on top of new tires bought(another $500.00), argued with their Mgr, who should be selling something else, not tires.

Really think I will look around before buying another "Tire Barn" item.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Having to have someone else do any work for you is an expensive and dangerous proposition. No one will take the care and time that you will to ensure the job is done right. This goes far beyond just car maintenance.

My tire/wheel story was with Discount Tire in greenwood. I had some painted wheels balanced by them and when they were done all 20 lug holes had the paint scraped off them due to some carelessness with an impact wrench. Had to go back and forth with the manager before he offered to have them refinished.

While I haven't had the same trouble with the Tire Barn in greenwood, I haven't had stellar service either.

Since I have family in South Bend my next tire replacement adventure will likely be with Tire Rack.

Top Bottom