• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My daughter came over last night saying she needed air in her tires. I was getting ready to air one up a bit but checked it before starting. It was at 38psi. I told her it had plenty at 38. She said it's supposed to be 70-80psi. I checked on the tire and it did say that was the proper range. I've never seen these kind of pressures on regular car/truck tires. Is this something new or are these some special tires or something?

Just curious, Matt

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If she has factory rims/tires there should be a door sticker on the drivers door jam that will state the MFG's recommended pressures.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daughter came over last night saying she needed air in her tires. I was getting ready to air one up a bit but checked it before starting. It was at 38psi. I told her it had plenty at 38. She said it's supposed to be 70-80psi. I checked on the tire and it did say that was the proper range. I've never seen these kind of pressures on regular car/truck tires. Is this something new or are these some special tires or something?

Just curious, Matt

Depends on what she is doing with the vehicle. What is the rating on it. Half ton or better.

My Chevy conversion van is a 3500 (1 ton) and the tires are sidewall rated at 70 plus PSI.
    Are those the proper tires for the vehicle.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I don't recall what it was, but it was an SUV a bit smaller than my wife's GMC Envoy. No idea if they are the proper wheels/tires for the vehicle. They appeared to be factory rims.

Matt

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I don't recall what it was, but it was an SUV a bit smaller than my wife's GMC Envoy. No idea if they are the proper wheels/tires for the vehicle. They appeared to be factory rims.

Matt

Generally 35-40 PSI is appropriate for that size vehicle. Check the placard in the vehicle for confirmation.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've always based tire pressures on the load the tire had to support. 35ish should have been plenty for her vehicle, that's why I was asking here.

Matt

You're pretty much spot on. I have a 1/2ton GMC that I run load range "E" tires on, because I tow. Not towing I'm @ 40 PSI, when I tow, I up the pressure to 45-50 PSI. Factory specs are like 37 PSI.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I remember seeing something like this when I was researching tires a couple of years ago. Looks like the rating has something to do with it. It can be an almost identical tire with different rating & pressure.

Here are some M/S tires on tire rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ear=2013&autoModel=4Runner V6&autoModClar=SR5

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ear=2013&autoModel=4Runner V6&autoModClar=SR5

Both of them are Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires and are the same size. Go to the charts under the pictures and look at the specs. First tire says 80 psi, second tire says 44 psi.

I'm not for sure what the differences are, or if it really matters. I don't tow anything or do any serious off road stuff. The occasional trip across our fields and down the creek behind them, usual snow. Satisfied with the MS/2 we have, but there are different versions of them.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I remember seeing something like this when I was researching tires a couple of years ago. Looks like the rating has something to do with it. It can be an almost identical tire with different rating & pressure.

Here are some M/S tires on tire rack.

Both of them are Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires and are the same size. Go to the charts under the pictures and look at the specs. First tire says 80 psi, second tire says 44 psi.

I'm not for sure what the differences are, or if it really matters. I don't tow anything or do any serious off road stuff. The occasional trip across our fields and down the creek behind them, usual snow. Satisfied with the MS/2 we have, but there are different versions of them.

The difference is in the load rating. The first one is "E" which has a heavy sidewall to handle loads. The other is "P" rated, which is suitable for most passenger cars and light trucks.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Someone mixed up those tires.With the anti skid/ traction control features newer vehicles have, I would not mix match them.If they are reasonably new,take em back.They should make em right.I run E rated and run em at 55 psi because they are on a lighter 4x4.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    They're not new tires or anything. The daughter bought the vehicle about 6 months ago with the tires already installed. I'd have to guess that for normal driving on this vehicle they should be more like normal pressures. I'd try to tell her they should be more like 35 but her genius husband would tell her I don't know what I'm talking about!!

Matt

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Somewhere around the left door jamb/door will be a tire information sticker. That'll tell you everything you need to know. 35 sounds about right. I don't see 70-80 psi needed for a small SUV. :twocents:

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Somewhere around the left door jamb/door will be a tire information sticker. That'll tell you everything you need to know. 35 sounds about right. I don't see 70-80 psi needed for a small SUV. :twocents:

Yep. PSI on the tire is the MAX pressure it's rated for. Each vehicle mfgr has a recommended PSI for the vehicle based on a whole host of different variables - usually listed on the door jam area. I'd trust and follow what the vehicle mfgr says - not the maximum the tire can take, especially if it's just for general duty driving on the road. Towing/hauling/off road/special tires are of course a different animal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    gvbndgf

Just curious, Matt

there is a sticker in the door jamb that states what the pressure should be. Go with that pressure. The PSI rating on the sidewall is max for the tire which shouldnt really be used.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Big difference between the max PSI on the tire sidewall and the recommended PSI on the vehicle's doorjamb. I'd guess the SUV is closer to 35 PSI. Tell us year/make/model, and the Google Machine will tell us the recommended PSI for the stock sized tires.

70 PSI will not only ride really rough, but is exceptionally dangerous, especially in this weather.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Big difference between the max PSI on the tire sidewall and the recommended PSI on the vehicle's doorjamb. I'd guess the SUV is closer to 35 PSI. Tell us year/make/model, and the Google Machine will tell us the recommended PSI for the stock sized tires.

70 PSI will not only ride really rough, but is exceptionally dangerous, especially in this weather.

Agreed. It would be extremely dangerous and bounce you all over the place. Even an E rated tire would not need anywhere close to 70. Those are max ratings. Generally in that 35 - 38 PSI range is good for street, and with an E rated tire you can air down as necessary for off road depending on the terrain. There is a chalk line test you can do to get a real test on it.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    If I knew make and model I'd have posted it initially. My daughter just turned 40 and mother of three. She stopped at my house because she didn't want to pay for air someplace else. I posted to find out if there were some kind of new tires out there that used higher pressure as normal.

Matt

Top Bottom