• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Looking for info on a Tisas 1911 Manta Ray Duty B45B. I would like to hear from people who own how you like it and is it worth the money. Any gun shops in the area have one in stock? I you don't own or have owned one please keep your opinion to yourself.

I don't need your opinion about what I should buy! I only want the opinion of owners about the Tisas 1911 Manta Ray Duty B45B. I own several custom guns but need a beater for the truck!!!

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I like mine, quite a bit, in fact.
    Seems well built and finished, no slop, no malfunctions. Yeah, I think they mostly got this right, a lot of value for the money (all machined internals, undercut trigger guard, Ed Brown bobtail, etc.)

Now, what they got wrong.......
    (these are my opinions, your assessments may differ)
    Didn't like the feel of the grips. Swapped on the ones from my Dan Wesson V-bob and they were perfect...so ordered another set from DW.

Wish the "Novak style" sights used Novak spec dovetails, to make sourcing replacements easier. Should have been night sights, as well. Hell, should have been Heinie Straight Eights or Ledges. All fighting guns should have sights that help facilitate one handed racking of the slide.

No checkering/stippling on frontstrap and backstrap (YMMV).

Wish they'd ditch the ambi safety. Don't trust 'em.

All small personal peeves, and easily correctable.
    In short, I think it's a fine gun, and would have no qualms about carrying it, but it's not a Dan Wesson, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    I have handled a few Tisas (SDS Imports) 1911 GI but I haven't fired one yet. It is a fine 1911 clone. So fine in fact that I do not see any reason to spend the extra $200+ for a "Name brand" 1911 GI clone. 2 friends of mine have sung praises about the reliability of these guns. In fact they have had zero failures in the 150 round break in period!

So that being said. Tisas, Zig, SDS Imports are all names I would trust on the frame of a .45. If they can make a near perfect G.I. I'm sure the more deluxe models are just the same.

I cannot say the same about Turkish made shotguns, all my experiences and rumors have been negative in regards to those. For some reason Turkish made pistols seem to be excellent in comparison.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    As a noob to 1911 platform what causes the ambidextrous safety to be untrustworthy?
    Should I be concerned since my RIA 1911 10mm has one?

The standard safety lever is one solid piece of machined steel, and the shaft only aligns it, and defines its rotational arc. The ambi is two pieces, and the shafts are cut down to key into each other, creating a weak spot (well....a weaker spot).
    Some love 'em, some don't.
    To each his own.

I would criticize another man's wife before I would second guess his choice of firearm, and I don't criticize men's wives.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    As a noob to 1911 platform what causes the ambidextrous safety to be untrustworthy?
    Should I be concerned since my RIA 1911 10mm has one?

If you're a lefty, use an EGW ambi or a Wilson Bulletproof ambi. They're both designed without the weaknesses of the standard ambi safeties.

If you're right-handed, you don't need an ambi safety and would probably be better off fitting a standard single-sided safety.

In my experience, RIA ambi safeties are some of the easiest to break when shooting left-handed.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’m not a 1911 AARP fan BUT if I had the choice of any one I wanted, the Ed Brown bobtail version would be THE one for me. I had a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD which is the same frame but with a Commander length slide on it. Loved that thing but, a few years ago, I started shuffling guns off to the kids.

The Tisas line of 1911’s seems to be solid. Nothing bad to say about them.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Nobody wants an ambitious safety till they get their thumb blown off in a gunfight...

I'm always in favor of an "ambitious" safety, but i can work a traditional safety just fine with my trigger finger.

Besides, if my thumb is gone, things have progressed well beyond the "my gun is on safe" paradigm.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Seriously thinking about a Stingray in 45acp. Only draw back is no checkering on the front strap. Could easily get it cut and still be almost half the price of a Kimber or Sig.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I’m not a 1911 AARP fan BUT if I had the choice of any one I wanted, the Ed Brown bobtail version would be THE one for me. I had a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD which is the same frame but with a Commander length slide on it. Loved that thing but, a few years ago, I started shuffling guns off to the kids.

The Tisas line of 1911’s seems to be solid. Nothing bad to say about them.
    Really 1911 AARP fan! Seriously that’s kind of offensive. AARP is about as Liberal as they come.

while it will be a long while before I can retire it will be a cold day in… before I would ever join AARP . Right up there with NPR radio so good it has to be tax payer funded to exist.

And yes I have Two pow 1911’s

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Really 1911 AARP fan! Seriously that’s kind of offensive. AARP is about as Liberal as they come.

while it will be a long while before I can retire it will be a cold day in… before I would ever join AARP . Right up there with NPR radio so good it has to be tax payer funded to exist.

And yes I have Two pow 1911’s

All my steel and wood guns belong to AMAC. :coffee:

Top Bottom