• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i have a short temper. when i get angry, i say things.

coming up on 1 year ago, my father passed away. he had a will, which we could never find. my mother told me that his car (06 mustang) was mine, so i drove it from NY back here. i have the title (his name only) and a death certificate.

when i went to the BMV back in november, i was met with such disrespectful and condescending tones, that it took everything i had to not (in a fit of rage) throw various insults and derogatory terms at the woman "helping" me.

has anyone ever dealt with transferring a title in similar circumstances? i would much rather go to the BMV with what i need, and minimize the speaking, because of my short temper and tendency to say things that would get my face plastered all over the local news....

we do not have a will, as it was never located. i COULD (if need be) get paperwork saying it was a gift, but its not a gift.......so i would rather not do such a thing.

TIA, INGO

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If he had an estate I would think you could receive it from his estate. The executor of his estate should have the power to handle the transaction. If he didn't have an estate then someone needs to set one up. You'll need to talk to a lawyer.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'll add when my wife passed away she had (I still have) a 98 mustang. Titled in her name only. I asked the DMV about how I had to handle the situation. I said I had a copy of the will. That said all they needed was a copy of our marriage certificate and her death certificate to put it in my name. Your mom might need to do the same. I had the title in about a week. It wasn't nearly as hard to do as I thought.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought a boat from a widow under similar circumstances last year. To title the boat I had to get a copy of the death certificate as well as an affidavit from the widow.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yep...we bought a boat years ago from a widow that was titled in her husband's name. Same as Phylodog...death certificate and affidavit or something that showed she was the POA and could sign the title on his behalf. I think we may have needed a bill of sale as well, but we were buying the boat...not receiving it through an estate.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    It is my understanding that since there is no will, it is assumed that your mother inherits everything from your father. If this is the case, she needs to present the death certificate to the DMV in NY (if that is where it is titled) and have it transferred to her name. She can then sign over the car to you once she receives the amended title. (This is the procedure that I have had to follow in the past.)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You'll probably have to do the legalese in the state the car was titled and registered, NY. Get a NY title in your name and then problem solved. The BMV is a machine; input>process>output. By bringing a title, story and death certificate from out of state you've totally screwed up the input portion of the system. By default the estate typically goes to the surviving spouse without a will so with a death certificate, the title and your mom IN PERSON they probably won't hassle you over it and may not even charge you any fees. We went thru a very similar situation with my dads death last year and although it was in Oklahoma the narrative above is exactly how it went down for me! We didn't even have to have it transferred to the step mom and then me, they titled right over to me. Good luck!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It is my understanding that since there is no will, it is assumed that your mother inherits everything from your father. If this is the case, she needs to present the death certificate to the DMV in NY (if that is where it is titled) and have it transferred to her name. She can then sign over the car to you once she receives the amended title. (This is the procedure that I have had to follow in the past.)

No idea about NY, but in IN that the spouse received half and the offspring of the deceased received half when someone died intestate, if no kids and at least one surviving parent of the deceased then spouse gets 3/4 and parent(s) 1/4th.

I bought a car at auction from an estate, I needed a copy of the death certificate and affidavit that the person selling it was lawful to do so.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    i have a short temper. when i get angry, i say things...

...it took everything i had to not (in a fit of rage) throw various insults and derogatory terms at the woman "helping" me...

...because of my short temper and tendency to say things that would get my face plastered all over the local news....
    Sounds like you need to work out some issues. This is not normal adult behavior. I assume you also add firearms to this mix?

Top Bottom