• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    181   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am looking for a side by side UTV, several out of state ones have no titles. I don't plan on ever running one on the road.

Seems like quite a scam that the BMV is requiring something that is going to be run on exclusively on private property to be "titled & registered". Appears that they saw an opportunity a few years ago to squeeze more $.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I am looking for a side by side UTV, several out of state ones have no titles. I don't plan on ever running one on the road.

Seems like quite a scam that the BMV is requiring something that is going to be run on exclusively on private property to be "titled & registered". Appears that they saw an opportunity a few years ago to squeeze more $.
    I believe Indiana Code 9-18.1-14-1 requires it.

The scam belongs to our elected legislature.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Hm, now that I think about it, I bought an atv for my son at rural king in KY a few years ago and never did get it titled. I wonder what the penalty is for that.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    181   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I do not consider it a scam to have a title on such an expensive item. They also may be necessary for some lenders in indiana to do a loan.

For a loan & if it is optional otherwise I understand. To make it mandatory to title & REGISTER annually something that will not hit public property is an issue for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hm, now that I think about it, I bought an atv for my son at rural king in KY a few years ago and never did get it titled. I wonder what the penalty is for that.
    You'll pay all the fees due back to when you purchased it, I assume. I know if you let a boat or travel trailer registration lapse because you move it to a private lake and it never is on the road they will hit you for the years you skipped when you decide its time to move it again.

And dont get me started on them double dipping. When I bought my boat there was still 6+ months left on the sticker. No credit given. I had to pay those 6 months again that had already been paid for when I registered it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The state did this years ago with trailer titles. I suppose trailers at least get used on the roads. But off road equipment? No. To the point mentioned above, tractors and mowers and golf carts don't get titled (yet). An atv/sidebyside/quad/etc shouldn't require this. Money grab.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Bought a sxs in KY no sales tax. Never titled it. Then 3 years ago they made ATV and SXS street legal in my County. So I titled it and paid sales tax on it so I could get the permit for roads. You won’t back pay since you you just got it registered, only a late fee. I got a 3 wheeler and sold a 1999 quad I never registered either, never did dog tags either when I had dogs.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    The process to get a vin or title is pretty easy but if I was going to only operate the machine on my own property...I think I'd just skip the formalities.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've always gotten tags for my dogs when I get their yearly shots at the vet or clinic. You don't do the same?
    My bad, poor explaining on my part, meant dog taxes. Neighbor back in the day that was a law breaking hoodlum threw a hissy fit when he found out I didn’t report my dogs for taxes. He had and told him that was his own fault…lol. Haven’t had dogs in many years but yes they had dog tags and vet. Back in the 60’s and 70’s we never did though.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I run mine on the road as most do around here and completely ignore the registration thing.
    If you don’t agree with it, the it’s your civic duty to begin with some civil disobedience.
    Besides, if it’s only on private property how are they ever going to know?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I run mine on the road as most do around here and completely ignore the registration thing.
    If you don’t agree with it, the it’s your civic duty to begin with some civil disobedience.
    Besides, if it’s only on private property how are they ever going to know?
    It is all fun and games until someone gets a poke in the eye, as my mother said. Got hit by a hit and run driver and LEO impounded the rig until ownership could be proven. We had no registration but thankfully the seller had a copy of the receipt for the rig we were driving. It only cost $800 for towing and impound fees.

The moral of the story is if you ever are on a public right of way, have your ducks in a row or be ready to pay the piper…

(What a collection of cliches) :lmfao:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It is all fun and games until someone gets a poke in the eye, as my mother said. Got hit by a hit and run driver and LEO impounded the rig until ownership could be proven. We had no registration but thankfully the seller had a copy of the receipt for the rig we were driving. It only cost $800 for towing and impound fees.

The moral of the story is if you ever are on a public right of way, have your ducks in a row or be ready to pay the piper…

(What a collection of cliches) :lmfao:
    You’re not wrong, definitely some liability issues.
    I have bill of sale, just never bothered registering any of them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't know how much of a difference it might make, but ORV accidents are called in to the DNR to investigate on private property frequently. Dunno if it causes any legal or liability or insurance issues in relation to registration?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Am I correct in thinking that I don’t have to register, say, a farm truck, if it was to solely stay on the farm, no public road? That’s how it used to be so unless something changed…

Just thinking ORV should be the same.

Top Bottom