• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I think the manner in which he presented his case could have been handled differently. I don't think dressing like Rambo and marching around the park is the proper way.

I don't have a problem with people that attempt to change things in a lawful manner...but they need to use means that don't draw negative attention to the cause. Win their hearts and minds... Present yourself as being educated and knowledgeable...rather than as some redneck hill-jack just out to stir the pot. :twocents:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Wow. Now that they have said basically that their only complaint is that it was a "sawed-off AK47" (whatever that is) then I'm sure they won't have a problem with tennesseegunowners.com's open carry walk, in which all those who own them will be carrying their AR-type pistols, FN57s, and lots of cop-killer hollowpoint bullets.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hey Farva! Whats that place where they have all the goofy **** on the walls?

p27484-Tacoma-C__I__Shenanigans.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I think the manner in which he presented his case could have been handled differently. I don't think dressing like Rambo and marching around the park is the proper way.

I don't have a problem with people that attempt to change things in a lawful manner...but they need to use means that don't draw negative attention to the cause. Win their hearts and minds... Present yourself as being educated and knowledgeable...rather than as some redneck hill-jack just out to stir the pot. :twocents:

Tried to rep ya but you know!! very well said!!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i agree he could have handled himself differently. this just gives them fuel to spin the story in any way they wish and make guns look bad. the problem i have is that i think his intentions for doing this were wrong.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The guy with two posts to his name (including this one) is going to weigh in. This sounds very much like "loud pipes save lives" vs. "loud pipes loose rights" in the motorcycle world.

I believe in loud pipes, but I don't run straight headers either.

I support the right to open carry, but sometimes it can go to far...

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Don't we just love how the media seeks out the morons in the firearms crowd to 'represent the average gun owner'?! Such daring and hard-hitting journalism is sure to get these rubes promoted.

Seriously? A sawn-off AK? That would be hilarious.
    From 'minute-of-soldier' accuracy to 'minute-of-houseboat' accuracy with just a few hacksaw strokes!

Best way to handle this situation? Ignore it.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

I've read his posts regarding this. He was dressed in hiking boots, a knit cap and a camo jacket. Don't see how that qualifies as military dress. He also wasn't trying to change anything. The laws making what he did legal are already in place.

Wow. Now that they have said basically that their only complaint is that it was a "sawed-off AK47" (whatever that is) then I'm sure they won't have a problem with tennesseegunowners.com's open carry walk, in which all those who own them will be carrying their AR-type pistols, FN57s, and lots of cop-killer hollowpoint bullets.
    The weapon he was carrying is in fact a pistol. He bought it that way from the manufactorer. I think the only change he made was to add a sling.

I think most people are missing the point and focusing to much on what he was carrying when this is really about the fact that he was carrying. Yes I imagine an AK pistol would look scary to some people. But this could have happened just as easily had he been carrying a Glock,S&W, Kimber or whatever.

The problem here is that he was detained at gunpoint by a second officer after he had been released by the first officer that stopped him. He was held for 2 1/2 hours. Way longer than it takes to determine that he was legal. The second officer who stopped him at gunpoint has talked with this person before regarding carry laws. The officer knew he was licensed to carry and that he carried regularly while walking the trails.

You guys can sit here all day and say stuff like he didn't need to be carrying that type of pistol, or there is no reason for it. That's the same talk that has brought about magazine capacity restrictions, unloaded carry, weapons bans etc. etc...

While it may not be my choice or yours to openly carry that type of firearm in public I fully support his decision to do so if he so wishes. What hurts our rights more? Him carrying his AK pistol or other 2A supporters bashing him for doing what is legal and giving the anti crowd more ammo to use in their endless pursuit to ban all things that go boom? After all if other gun owners are against it then it must be bad and should be made illegal.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    David Codrea had something to say about this, too. His article has links to a couple of other forums where there's some discussion and a first hand account. The comment from the "person" at Officer.com is rather inflammatory, but to be expected from what I've seen of the members there.

While his weapon of choice might not be mine, I support the guys right to carry it. He broke no laws and last time I looked "keep and bear arms" didn't have unConstitutional and immoral qualifications on it.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    What hurts our rights more? Him carrying his AK pistol or other 2A supporters bashing him for doing what is legal and giving the anti crowd more ammo to use in their endless pursuit to ban all things that go boom? After all if other gun owners are against it then it must be bad and should be made illegal.

No kidding. He didn't break any laws. Which is less tactful? Carrying an AK-style pistol in a park where it is legal or catering to the whimpering of soccer moms?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Beau;742301 [SIZE=3 said:
    While it may not be my choice or yours to openly carry that type of firearm in public I fully support his decision to do so if he so wishes. What hurts our rights more? Him carrying his AK pistol or other 2A supporters bashing him for doing what is legal and giving the anti crowd more ammo to use in their endless pursuit to ban all things that go boom? After all if other gun owners are against it then it must be bad and should be made illegal.[/SIZE]

Good point! I agree!:ar15:

Top Bottom