• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brennend08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    Im looking to acquire a piston driven 556. Whats your opinions on fully built piston 556. and what direction would you go on building a 556. Really digging the sig 516 but building is so much more rewarding. GO

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I opted for a factory built piston gun, the Ruger SR556. Im not going to sit here and tell you that the reason i wanted a piston gun because its so much more reliable and clean. I just plain and simple wanted one. Mines been 100% reliable to this date. The Rugers weigh a little more and use some propietary parts but i went into the purchase knowing that. Just my .02

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The sig piston driven guns are nice. Don't think you can go wrong there. Those would be on my very short list if I was looking for a piston ar.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I bought a piston too, went with a Gen 4 P415 POF.

You can build them but for a piston, I wanted to just get a factory gun.

For the price of the 516 (or cheaper) POF makes the Puritan. Melonite barrel, accepts mid length handguards, E2 chamber, tensioning screws on the lower, and they keep their $200 drop in trigger which is pretty good IMO, I have 2 of them and they're crisp and have a really short reset. Plus they're fairly light for a piston. Fit and finish on the receivers is pretty nice too (they come with Magpul trigger guards now)

http://www.pof-usa.com/_specsheets/Puritan P-15 Spec Sheet.pdf

Kind of want to pick up a PWS one of these years just to have one basically

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    On the POF puritan pof admits there is an issue with the rod that moves the bolt carrier not coming out of the weapon when the gas block is disassembled forcing you to remove the hand guards and pull it out that way. While they admit that this is a common issue they dont have a fix for it and they gave me the feeling they are not working on a fix or care to. For a 1300 dollar gun that is absolutely unacceptable.

The sig uses a simpler more adjustable gas block as well as having a single piece to removed to get all the components of the piston system out of the gun. Beyond that they use much better quality bolts and carriers. Sig Sauers flagship for 5.56mm piston guns is the 516 which is what they have dumped their money into perfecting where as POF just released their "lower end" line to appease the masses and doesnt seem to have any where near the quality of the higher end more traditional POF rifles.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It really all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Either a factory built one or convert a gas system to a piston via something like the osprey

Brennend08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    i actually have the ruger sr556 but im not to fond of the piston system and have been heavily considering getting the sig 516. I have also heard good things about the POF. I just dont know if building a piston gun is worth the money or just getting a factory. I do like how easy the sig piston is to adjust, clean, and just operate. The ruger does shoot very well. ill have to take a look at the POF.

Brennend08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    yeah im feeling the same way, as far as field break down or taking apart its ridiculously hard! the 516 and th 716 are so easy to just pull out clean and stick back in. I think sig is looking like the gun.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    On the POF puritan pof admits there is an issue with the rod that moves the bolt carrier not coming out of the weapon when the gas block is disassembled forcing you to remove the hand guards and pull it out that way. While they admit that this is a common issue they dont have a fix for it and they gave me the feeling they are not working on a fix or care to. For a 1300 dollar gun that is absolutely unacceptable.

......where as POF just released their "lower end" line to appease the masses and doesnt seem to have any where near the quality of the higher end more traditional POF rifles.

I noticed that too, but if that's the only complaint, it wouldn't affect me any. It's a piston AR, what's the point in cleaning it constantly? (not like I baby my DI ARs either).

Besides, if you lock the bolt back, take the plug out, push the piston all the way into the receiver, then release the bolt, the rod pops right out.

As long as the piston being stiff inside the receiver to the point it effects reliability, it doesn't bother me any.

I personally think POF made a good decision in making the Puritan: same great quality receiver extension, same trigger, E2 chamber, melonite barrel, great finish on the upper and lower, tensioning screws, same BCG and piston, etc. To me, for the price of it, and the weight, it's the best buy in a piston AR for the money.

True, it's not the billet highly machined gen 3 or 4, but that's what drops the price a lot.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Same experience when I had the Sig and Ruger side by side. Ruger makes some nice firearms, but I'd go Sig over Ruger in this case.

I would say the ruger SR556 piston design is definitely a worse design than the 516. I have been pretty unimpressed by the ruger.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The biggest concern I have with the piston system is the lack of standardization. Everything is different for each manufacturer. So parts and repair support is spotty at best.

But if I was going the piston route, I will go with the Rock River Arms PDS....

[video=youtube_share;2S7hQ9ggtw4]http://youtu.be/2S7hQ9ggtw4[/video]

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I am using a adams arms upper which seems to work pretty well and is offered as an upper, whole rifle, and conversion kit for existing uppers. I am very satisfied with mine.

Top Bottom