• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I held a CW9 again today and it felt great. The dealer said he was getting 2 CM9's in next week and sugested that I wait and see if I like the CM over the CW. Uses would be target shooting, and CC. I really don't have enough cash for multiple guns right now. I was thinking of the Springfield XD but think it may be to big for CC.
    So if you have a CW9 or CM9 (or both) give me your oppion on using for CC. I know the obvious that the CM9 is smaller but can the CW9 be used almost as easy for CC? Spending a few hours at a range, which one would be a better shooter? What if my wife wants to shoot it would both work for her?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've owned and shot both. If you like one, you will like the other. You are right in that the key difference is the magazine/grip size. That little difference in grip size to handle the larger mags makes the following differences:
    1- The larger grip area allows for an easy three finger grip. Some people shoot fine with a two finger hold. I do much better with three.
    2- Both can be pocket-carried, but the CM9 is much better for that purpose. The CW9 can only realistically be carried in jeans or cargo pants pockets.
    3- One more round may make a major difference in a very bad day. Compact guns are always a compromise on capacity.

If you don't intend to pocket carry, then just go with the CW9. It is easier to control and better capacity. If you do want to pocket carry regularly, then lean towards the CM9.

A couple of additional details since you mentioned your wife shooting it. She should also handle them and make sure she is comfortable with the feel. Since the Kahr has a smaller grip, she will probably be fine with it. The other thing is that the Kahr is designed to use strong springs. That can make them fairly difficult to rack. The good news is that this can be overcome if you use the right technique.
    http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY

Last edited:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I carry a PM9 and my wife carries the CM9. I have carried larger and smaller pistols and for me the PM9/CM9 guns strike the perfect balance. My wife moved from a Ruger LCP to the CM9 and likes it a lot more but it has been considerably harder for her to carry it concealed. She thinks it was a worthwhile trade off because she can shoot it considerably better than her LCP.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for the input. That is a great video. My wife actually tried to rack it and she could not do it. I ended up buying her a ruger 22 which was much easier to rack. I will have her try that racking technique though.
    I was thinking as she got practice that she could move up to the CW or CM for target practice. I could get a full size 9 later. I had not handled a CM9 yet so knowing that the CM grip only has room for 2 fingers makes me think that the CW would probably fit my hands better and be more comfortable target shooting. When I CC I would probably use a CC motorcycle vest. I usually do not wear baggy pants for a gun to fit in.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have both and I like them for different reasons. I did carry the CW concealed for a while but found it to be bulky. However, it is a great range pistol, with the full grip and slightly longer length.

The CM carries more comfortably and it's forte is CC. It's, in my opinion, a much better carry pistol. Therefore, it is fired evey few months so I can recycle ammunition and maintain my operational comfort.

If you can only manage one, go with what you and your wife find most comfortable. Good luck.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It depends on whether you want a larger pistol or a smaller pistol. I personally have been carrying around the more expensive PM9 (the CM wasn't invented when I bought it) and it hides nicely in my pocket using a Desantis Nemesis Holster. I am a skinny thing and have had many people talk to me about carrying, not realizing that little guy was with me.

Again, it depends on whether you can hide the slightly larger CW9, but if it feels good in your hand, that is a very important factor.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I love my CW45 and carry it all the time. I wanted it for warmer weather in lou of my full size 1911. I think the CW is cheaper and virtually the same gun. I would go for the CW.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Haven't shot a CW model, but I do have a CM40 and find it to be, for me, pretty much a perfect balance in size for carry between the LCP and a Glock 23. It is quickly becoming my everywhere, every dress, every weather gun.

With all that in mind, while I can shoot it all day, I don't know that a lot of people would find it an all day range gun. However, one could go to the range and throw a couple of boxes of ammo through it and be just fine, which is what I see most people do anyway. The CM9, I would think (I haven't shot one) would be quite pleasant to shoot.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have the cw9, perfect balance between CC and range. Little longer grip and barrel. Either some of you have really small hands or I have very large hands. The cw is not a full sized grip at all. The grip is more like a 2.5 fingers. Plus the cw has a extra round. The slide spring will loosen up with time. Get steel base plates for all of your magazine and it will shorten the grip up.

image-5.jpg

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I bought the CW9 today. Looking forward to getting out and shooting it. I have heard different options for the gun as far as making it unique for the individual like the post above. If anyone has further idea please share. Thanks

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Take your magazine/s apart. Clean and check proper spring direction. Sometimes the springs are installed backwards. Also clean and lube before taking it out.

Kahr pistols are made very tight so shoot it before you start questioning it. Kahr says 200 round break in time. Here are some pictures of my cw9.
    Stainless guide rod
    image-7.jpg

image-3.jpg

P9 slide stop
    image-4.jpg

Front trijicon sight. Factory one is plastic.
    image-8.jpg

Bravo magazine carrier
    2013-01-05_13-12-48_65.jpg

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for the pics. I will put atleast 200 rounds through it before making changes. I am all over the clean and lube. New to magazines so if the spring is in wrong will it be obvious to me? What should I be looking for?

The video that Pudly posted was a great help for my wife as she was able to rack CW9 without a problem. Last Saturday when she tried at ZX she could not do it.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    The spring should hold the follower up when you remove it. Actually one of my springs was installed backwards. The single cheapest and best upgrade is a Wolff 5# trigger for 4.00$ buy it!
    Correct. (Sorry don't mind the dog hair :/)
    2012-12-22_21-07-07_851.jpg

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Thank you addictedhealer for the pics. I will take a look at the mag spring. I assume the trigger spring is to make it easier to pull the trigger. I have read that the Kahr trigger has a longer/harder pull than many other handguns.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Thank you addictedhealer for the pics. I will take a look at the mag spring. I assume the trigger spring is to make it easier to pull the trigger. I have read that the Kahr trigger has a longer/harder pull than many other handguns.

Longer? Maybe. Harder? Not on my Kahr or any other I have picked up and fondled. The trigger is the reason I bought one.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I've been debating these choices as well. I currently carry my sp2022 but that will change when things heat up. I'm skinny so it is hard to find a cc that won't print in an IWB, but the catch is I have large hands so I would appreciate any extra real estate in my grip. Choices, choices.

Top Bottom