• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Jason here is my response to your PM to me,
    We are not talking about 100 to 300 yard benchrest, F Class nor Creedmore or Wimbledon shooting here, these AR's are not going to shoot Perry.
    Its not a discussion on case life or case head expansion, its a simple topic on what dies are needed for the same cartridges to be used in different AR's.
    And to the general reloading public, Thats what SB dies are for and thats why at least 2 or more die companys make there standard dies on the small side of sammi spec. They will fit just about any chamber.

And yes i understand case head expansion, thats something that 99.99% of reloaders could care less about. And yes i am also one of those guys with Wilson dies but i use a Harrell Bros combo press.

You keep changing the topic, i asked you not to be a Kut. :dunno:
    OP sorry to derail your post, i would suggest that you read what rcbs says about there SB dies and then make a decision. :):

I sent you a PM to prevent derailing the thread, yet you chose to respond publicly and then have the cajones to apologize for it! :D

You seem to know what this word "Kut" means. Must be something you're personally acquainted with, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I sent you a PM to prevent derailing the thread, yet you chose to respond publicly and then have the cajones to apologize for it! :D

You seem to know what this word "Kut" means. Must be something you're personally acquainted with, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kutnupe ("Kut") is a guy who has never been in the reloading section of this site. Actually, I don't remember his ever having posted in the firearms section at all. And I've never seen you outside the reloading area. Wait, is this a Superman/Clark Kent thing?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    To quote Lazlo Bane, "I'm No Superman."

I figured it was meant to be some kind of a slam, but I guess I'm too old and out of touch with pop culture to even know when someone's trying to insult me. :dunno:

He's only got 60 posts or so, but you're right about me not going outside of the reloading area. I also check the classifieds a little, but not much. To be honest, I don't spend very much time on this site because there aren't many interesting reloading threads.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jason here is my response to your PM to me,
    We are not talking about 100 to 300 yard benchrest, F Class nor Creedmore or Wimbledon shooting here, these AR's are not going to shoot Perry.
    Its not a discussion on case life or case head expansion, its a simple topic on what dies are needed for the same cartridges to be used in different AR's.
    And to the general reloading public, Thats what SB dies are for and thats why at least 2 or more die companys make there standard dies on the small side of sammi spec. They will fit just about any chamber.

And yes i understand case head expansion, thats something that 99.99% of reloaders could care less about. And yes i am also one of those guys with Wilson dies but i use a Harrell Bros combo press.

You keep changing the topic, i asked you not to be a Kut. :dunno:
    OP sorry to derail your post, i would suggest that you read what rcbs says about there SB dies and then make a decision. :):

Here is my response to you over this post.
    1st.....this should have been in a PM in response not shared in open forum.

2nd....calling out Kut is not cool either.

3rd....your new guy status gets you a pass here "But" will not in future.

4th.... I usually do this in PM. How does it feel.

-CM-

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Well heres my response Church Mouse,

#1. I didnt post his PM to me, I just posted my response.
    If its a rule not to, i certainly havent read it.
    #2 . i most certainly didnt call kut out, i said dont be a kut. ( and we know what that is, is it good or bad? I did not define it. )
    Is it not the same as being or doing a " Denny "
    #3. I have no response.
    #4. It really doesn't bother me in all honestly. Why not be open and upfront here, are most of us here not big boys that have guns. I find it intriguing that so many new members here are told to get thick skin and join the fray. But yet like here right now some feelings have been hurt, by simply responding to a PM out in the open and saying dont be a kut.
    It seems like it depends on who is posting on what can and cant be said here.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

#2 . i most certainly didnt call kut out, i said dont be a kut. ( and we know what that is, is it good or bad? I did not define it. )
    #3. I have no response.
    #4. It really doesn't bother me in all honestly. Why not be open and upfront here, are most of us here not big boys that have guns. I find it intriguing that so many new members here are told to get thick skin and join the fray. But yet like here right now some feelings have been hurt, by simply responding to a PM out in the open and saying dont be a kut.

Someone is not going to last long around here...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Clay Pigeon,

Churchmouse was very generous, as is his habit. He was giving you his version of a gentle tap on the shoulder; let's call it friendly advice that you were treading on thin ice.

You should have heeded that advice. I'm less inclined to generosity when someone ignores what should have been clear.

Take a few days and think about it. If you're reading while you're taking your vacation, you might research VUPDBlue rule #1, which is also good advice.

Blessings,
    Bill

#3. I have no response.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    For me, I always let the press arm cam-over and reach its terminal range of motion. As you stated, I set the dies accordingly. I am not sure where all of this cam-over stuff started, but letting the press reach its final range of motion each time affords one some repeat ability.

Andy Cree

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

#3. I have no response.

OK here we go.
    Your post was reported to the staff by a member.
    I responded and read the post in question.
    I posted in the open just like you did.
    Keep it up. I really have no feelings one way or the other on this myself but in this I have discretion as to actions taken.

No, it does not depend on who is posting. It is a by case thing.

PM's are to be responded to with PM's. If the member wanted to be in the open it would be posted that way. That is the house rules.
    Now, anything else....????

Sorry it took a while to get back to this as I have been with out internet access.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Clay Pigeon,

Churchmouse was very generous, as is his habit. He was giving you his version of a gentle tap on the shoulder; let's call it friendly advice that you were treading on thin ice.

You should have heeded that advice. I'm less inclined to generosity when someone ignores what should have been clear.

Take a few days and think about it. If you're reading while you're taking your vacation, you might research VUPDBlue rule #1, which is also good advice.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill got this. And he was correct.
    VUPD's rule #1.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For me, I always let the press arm cam-over and reach its terminal range of motion. As you stated, I set the dies accordingly. I am not sure where all of this cam-over stuff started, but letting the press reach its final range of motion each time affords one some repeat ability.

Andy Cree

Exactly so. The press is designed to this, each and every time. What the OP was really asking was should the mouth of his die touch the shell holder just prior to the press camming over.

The rest of it has been covered, at this point, but yes...the full range of motion of the press should be used every time, as a rule.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The first time I set my Hornady AP progressive up for reloading .223, I followed the die instructions to touch the shell plate and the top of the press travel. This resulted in rounds that wouldn't chamber in my AR. I ended up setting the die to size .003" less than fired case dimensions which resulted in a little cam-over on the press, and now they feed perfectly.

I suggest using a case gauge and setting the die up to size a case so it properly fits the gauge.

Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    I started reloading 27 years ago and I too looked at cam over as another variable to explore. Consistency in everything is the key for the best ammunition. Camming over creates consistency in ram travel for every reloading process involving the reloading press. The degree of cam over does not need to be extreme but just needs to be felt. The degree of cam over someone puts on a single stage press may be more than what one puts on a pregressive press with a rotating shell plate assembly. As I stated, consistency is key regardless of your amount of cam over compared to someone elses.

Top Bottom