• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    That is the question: When you carry, do you cant? Or level carry?

Follow-up question: how do you determine how much cant you use when the holster is adjustable? (I need a new holster and the only option seems to be to set the cant when it is made). No idea how much cant i use as my current holster has a single point attachment to the clip, allowing rotation.

Curious.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't.

The weapon isn't canting from #1 to #2 in the drawstroke so why carry at a cant?
    1)a forward cant helps prevent the pistol butt from printing when concealed

2)Personally, I lean forward a bit when I draw and for me, the pistol is coming straight out of the holster from #1 to#2 when it's canted

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I had a holster made by INGO member HPClayto. Definitely get with him, and he can help you a lot. I ordered mine with an FBI cant, but it is adjustable. I messed around with the adjustments when I received it until I got it where I liked it. I like it to be in such a place that when I put my hand at my side, my hand is naturally aligned with the grip so I need to change the angle of my wrist as little as possible. This will depend on a lot of things: your body type, the angle of your pistol's grip, etc. Someone around you might have some old holsters you can mess with to get an idea of your preference.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The FBI cant is 15 degrees.

I'm sure there are many other opinions, but thats the most comfortable for me.
    1) I can still draw and reholster while sitting without too much difficulty.
    2) I have some unresolved rotator cuff issues that make positions other than the FBI cant more difficult.
    3) There isn't a CIA cant, or I would use that. Because the CIA is cooler than the FBI.

Oh, and I don't have any custom holsters... so I've only tried whats available and easily doable with mass production holsters.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Depends on you and what's comfortable and your concealment needs (i.e. cant can help match the palm to the grip in certain positions and/or helps tuck the grip in for others). Generally, I don't use any cant from 12 to 3, and use the std "FBI" cant from 3 to 5. Also generally, the farther back you carry the more cantt may be useful - all the way back to SOB carry where the gun is usually horizontal.

Support side carry is a different animal depending on which (or both) hands you're setting up the draw for.

No hard and fast rules though. Adjustable cant holsters let you experimant a bit.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

2) I have some unresolved rotator cuff issues that make positions other than the FBI cant more difficult.
    3) There isn't a CIA cant, or I would use that. Because the CIA is cooler than the FBI.

Oh, and I don't have any custom holsters... so I've only tried whats available and easily doable with mass production holsters.

The "FBI" in "FBI cant" stands for "forward body index", as in the holster cants toward the front of your body. 15° is pretty common, but there's no set standard and it has nothing to do with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    It depends on the weapon. Most people describe the degree of cant as an angle of deviation, of the barrel, away from perpendicular to earth. Generally acceptable if your goal is to building a product for the broadest audience. And the measurement I'll use if someone only understands that method.

However, when I build, I try to use the grip as a reference because that is a variable that differs between most firearms. It is also the contact element, between the user and weapon, that is nearly consistent once it relates to the balance between comfort of carry and comfort of draw.

I usually have the customer, and the target firearm, together and try to find their sweet spot and build from there.

Having said all of that, I prefer the "FBI" cant (about +10-15 degrees) for 2 to 4 o'clock because it's more natural on the draw and helps keep the butt of the weapon closer to the body for less printing. I prefer neutral (perpendicular to earth) for appendix carry.

Your comfort zone, and the limitations to your holster if adjustable, is how you determine "how much cant you can use".

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

CIA cant is cool, but if you're really cool like me, you'll rock the Operator Cant: put that pistol in a drop leg. Alternatively, put it up high on your plate carrier, and your operator beard will conceal it. That's typically only for my blacker ops, though.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My holster doesn't have a cant :(
    So instead, I always lean way forward like this
    main-qimg-8a44374653cfde430f5d30fceaac2cdc

Seriously never gave it much thought.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    CIA cant is cool, but if you're really cool like me, you'll rock the Operator Cant: put that pistol in a drop leg. Alternatively, put it up high on your plate carrier, and your operator beard will conceal it. That's typically only for my blacker ops, though.

You convinced me.
    I'm switching.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I find that a cant for full-size guns is helpful and not needed (for me) with compact/officer-size.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The "FBI" in "FBI cant" stands for "forward body index", as in the holster cants toward the front of your body. 15° is pretty common, but there's no set standard and it has nothing to do with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Thanks Denny.

Top Bottom