• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    OK. My son goes to Taekwondo a couple times a week. I often sit and watch. Anymore, if its legal, I'm either semi-cc under a jacket with a 9mm or full cc with a 25acp pocket carry. A couple times I've cc'd into the Taekwondo academy. I've not been able to figure out if really is legal or not. I suppose its a "school" but its private, not state.

Is there anyone that can give me any advice in this case?

Thanks!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    From IC 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

[Several sections omitted.]

IC 35-47-2-23
    Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
    Sec. 23. (a) A person who violates section 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, or 16 of this chapter commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who violates section 7, 17, or 18 of this chapter commits a Class C felony.
    (c) A person who violates section 1 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony:
    (1) if the offense is committed:
    (A) on or in school property;
    (B) within one thousand (1,000) feet of school property; or
    (C) on a school bus; or
    (2) if the person:
    (A) has a prior conviction of any offense under:
    (i) this subsection; or
    (ii) subsection (d); or
    (B) has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.
    (d) A person who violates section 22 of this chapter commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if the person has a prior conviction of any offense under this subsection or subsection (c), or if the person has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.16-1984, SEC.20; P.L.140-1994, SEC.9; P.L.17-1997, SEC.7.
    (emphasis added)

As I understand the law (but IANAL & TINLA), if the taekwondo class takes place at a school, and you carry your handgun while there (except, of course, for picking up and dropping off you child), then you would be committing a Class C felony.

That said... concealed means concealed.
    As Gandalf told Frodo, "keep it secret; keep it safe!"

Other INGOers, feel free to comment as well!

ETA - Okay, so actually, when I read that... it looks an awful lot like you commit a Class C felony by carrying in or on school property WITHOUT a license. I think I missed the part that actually makes it illegal to carry at a school.

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    K-12 type of schools or licensed day cares are what are effected by the law.

Generally speaking; you are legal to carry (as long as they are not a licensed day care or Kindergarten through 12th grade type of facility).

A Martial Arts academy is not the type of "school" the law is referring to.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ

Generally speaking; you are legal to carry (as long as they are not a licensed day care or Kindergarten through 12th grade type of facility).

This was my take also, however, I often run things by INGO because I believe there is an intelligence pool here that is simply incredible.

It is the "Yada Yada Taekwondo Academy". I have always assumed that the "school" mean a K-12 school or licensed day care but I was never able to find the legal definition under the law.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My synagogue has plans to rent a room for a montessori school. I assume it will be accredited. What about cc there on the weekend during Sabbath services?

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana

That is correct.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Here is the IC definition of school property:

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Top Bottom