• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Okay so I have decided that I am planning to purchase a reloading press after Christmas is over ( won't have the money until then or I'd get it now ) and I am just wondering. I was thinking about casting my own lead bullets for my handguns but had some questions. It seems like a very easy process to cast them and seems like it would save me even more money that way versus buying them. I'm just wondering what are the pro's other than the cost savings? What are the con's to casting your own? I have a couple sources for used lead mainly used wheel weights. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am contemplating this as well, but I might just compare already cast bullet orders in bulk to save myself the time and investment in casting equipment. Also, I'm fairly certain that the lead I can acquire would have loads of junk in it.

A major point to casting, is being able to shoot very accurate, fully custom loads specifically tailored to your firearms chamber.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The only con to casting is the time involved. Let me offer this advice if you do plan to cast- go ahead and go all the way upfront. Get a 20lb furnace and 6 cavity molds. I'm currently using a 4lb pot and 2 cavity mold and will upgrade this winter.

The money savings is significant. All money put towards casting will easily and quickly be paid for if you shoot any amount at all. Other than that, you just get the satisfaction of having control over one more aspect of your loads and shooting.

ETA: Just as an example on the money saved, I normally buy lead in 70lb lots from ebay (already fluxed and in ingots, little time saver). An order like this generally goes for $1/1lb plus $15- so, about 85 dollars. If I'm casting a 230gr bullet that gives me a tad over 2100 bullets for $85. I don't know what that compares to buy factory made lead bullets (been a looong time since I've bought bullets).

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    The only con to casting is the time involved. Let me offer this advice if you do plan to cast- go ahead and go all the way upfront. Get a 20lb furnace and 6 cavity molds. I'm currently using a 4lb pot and 2 cavity mold and will upgrade this winter.

The money savings is significant. All money put towards casting will easily and quickly be paid for if you shoot any amount at all. Other than that, you just get the satisfaction of having control over one more aspect of your loads and shooting.

ETA: Just as an example on the money saved, I normally buy lead in 70lb lots from ebay (already fluxed and in ingots, little time saver). An order like this generally goes for $1/1lb plus $15- so, about 85 dollars. If I'm casting a 230gr bullet that gives me a tad over 2100 bullets for $85. I don't know what that compares to buy factory made lead bullets (been a looong time since I've bought bullets).

Thank you, very helpful information.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Other considerations

I do cast my own handgun bullets. It is definitely a cost saver if you have access to reasonably priced lead and alloying materials.

I only cast outdoors. Lead fumes are not healthy. I prefer to use 2 cavity molds because I find that I can keep them at the right temperature easier.

Sizing is another consideration. Lee has bullet designs that only require you to tumble lube. You can then size them in their economical dies for this purpose. Otherwise, you will be looking at additional investment in sizing and lubing equipment.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Another huge advantage to casting is you can size your bullets to fit your gun thus drastically reducing leading. Most 9mm is sold as .356 and I found this leads like the dickens. I size my own to .357 and the leading is all but gone. More accurate to boot since it "fits" the rifling better.

Same thing with other calibers.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I just started casting this summer. If I stock up on primers and powder, I am good to go for a long long time. I have several hundered pounds of lead in the form of wheel weights, dive weights, dental xray foil, roofing jacks, ect... I pick up pewter junk at yard sales for tin and a turkey fryer to smelt in with a big old cast iron pot for $10 at a yard sale.

Use cast iron cornbread pans (from yard sales too) to make ingots. Lee bottom pour pot and molds picked up here and there, small gunshows and castboolits.com are good sources. I picked up two Hensley and Gibbs (the best of the best) molds at a gunshow for $75. Each one is worth over $100.

The moral of the story... used is good. Deals are out there. Paitence is the key.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I love it when a newbie wants to start casting, as it takes me back in time to when I started over 40 years ago. Dad and I cast together to supplement our shooting piggy bank. You can't go wrong by starting with a simple basic Lee bottom pour pot, a Lee two cavity mould, and a Lee push through sizer .You can always move up from there.

Safety is a major concern.... molten lead hurts !! Protect yourself ! Use gloves, long sleeves, and a good pair of eye protection. Most of all... eye protection!
    Enjoy and learn.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I love it when a newbie wants to start casting, as it takes me back in time to when I started over 40 years ago. Dad and I cast together to supplement our shooting piggy bank. You can't go wrong by starting with a simple basic Lee bottom pour pot, a Lee two cavity mould, and a Lee push through sizer .You can always move up from there.

Safety is a major concern.... molten lead hurts !! Protect yourself ! Use gloves, long sleeves, and a good pair of eye protection. Most of all... eye protection!
    Enjoy and learn.

and a quality p100 rated respirator. Especially when smelting wheel weights. Not so much as the lead poisoning you, but the arsenic and asbestos and other chemicals in brake pads that get on wheel weights.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I started casting a year ago and love it and I can shoot 3x as much from the savings.
    Steady lead supply is the key, which I don't have but I hit a big score a few months ago that will last a whIle. I smelt outside on a windy day so I don't worry about fumes.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Neighbor kid came over the day after I smelted down some plumbing pipe and advised me he didn't know what I had grilled but was glad I hadn't invited him over for dinner.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    oh, and keep any water as far away from the pot as possible. Dont want a visit from the tinsel fairy. And dont eat or drink without first washing your hands and face with soap.

chasinfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    NWI
    Lots of good information in this thread. The questions I have been meaning to ask pretty much answered. Does anyone know the ballpark savings in casting vs store bought lead rounds?

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Casting is a fun hobby just like reloading. I used to cast all the time but I find it easier to just order from Indiana Bullet company or Missouri bullet for no more than I shoot now. I still have all the stuff to do it but lead is not as easy to come by as it used to be. 20 years ago most tire shops around here would gladly give you the wheel weights for hauling them off. You will need a sizer and a melting pot and a mold so there is some investment in equipment. I am just too lazy to do it much anymore it is easier to order and load. I always liked casting but always dreaded sizing. I have a Seaco sizer that I bought used back in the late 1970's and it still works fine just takes longer to size them than to load them :):
    I vote for go for it it is always good to have the stuff to do it just anther part of the shooting hobby.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Lots of good information in this thread. The questions I have been meaning to ask pretty much answered. Does anyone know the ballpark savings in casting vs store bought lead rounds?

Really depends on what your going for. Just a good plinking round or a really accurate bullet?
    Reference 7000 grains per pound
    So you can get 35 200 gr bullets from a pound of lead.
    Depends on how you get your lead bought. Probly best source is wheel weights form tire shops. So if you get it bought for $.50 per pound. So it will take you 14.28lbs to make 500 = $7.14 in material that is if you use just wheel weights. Compared to $39.50 for 500--200 grain 45s at Missouri bullet.
    If you flux wheel weights like recommended to they will do a fine job for several different applications. If you want a little harder bullets then you need to add material (Antimony) to up the hardness I generally use lynotype.. I would reccomend that you get Lymans book on casting also. I forgot to add lube into the price too but thats really not that much if you going to use lee tumble lube..

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/867465/lyman-cast-bullet-handbook-4th-edition-book

Another great source of info http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

Last edited:

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hey Water63,
    Care to seel your stuff?? I may be interested. I have access to lead.
    thanx......

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    If you are looking into casting as just a money saving source of bullets you will be disappointed. Time, money, and equipment cost can add up quickly. Any body can melt lead into bullet shaped objects, but it takes a little skill and practice to make good bullets, bullets that shoot good. I do not make bullets just to blast into a backstop, I make precision projectiles for serious paper punching .
    Just a matter of perspective.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Hey Water63,
    Care to seel your stuff?? I may be interested. I have access to lead.
    thanx......

No I may need it some day I still cast some just not all of them anymore. It is nice to have that option. I have a few hundred pounds of lead so I could go back to casting if needed.

Top Bottom