To clear snow or not to clear snow, that is the question....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    We will get the massive snow. I will pick up the shovel have the heart attack and the only way to the hospital will be a snow mobile. Darn you all.

Had to go for the trifecta instead of a double.
    If we get that much snow, I'll plow your drive for you. My son lives up that way, so if we get that much, I'll already be up there. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Snow blowers in Indiana. My early childhood in the finger lakes region of New York makes me laugh at the idea. I can see the northern part of the state that gets lake effect. Here in central we get what a foot a year normally. What makes me laugh more is snow machines (what we used to call skidoo’s ) in Indiana. What they can run a week a year of late?

Most of which a nice strong leaf blower would handle. Where I grew up 20 inches in a night was normal. There you had two snow blowers. Here just drive over it a few times back and forth. Makes a nice little path to get in and out. Guess my standards are lower than most. I have two shovels and while it takes longer to shovel out it is not all that bad even if the drive is not perfect one does not get stuck in it often.

Go go ahead and buy those machines. Makes the weather turn to the north or south.

Im either lazy or smart. I could have shoveled it. First snow I did. This one was so damned heavy I ran and got fresh gas. Glad I did. Thanks to the salt I put down to keep it from freezing solid it was HEAVVVVVVVY! I did my neighbor's first who has a bad back. No trouble, it threw the snow far.

Went to do mine, and the snow was so wet and heavy it went about 5'. (24" two stage capable of flinging it 25' on a good day)

Im smart enough to use my money for a useful tool. THough I typically dont get it out for less than 6", or a bit less if its really heavy. I dont think I got it out for 2 years.

And I do 2 more driveways when it gets REALLY bad. There comes a point when nobody needs to shovel THAT much snow. Since I have the tools its the least I can do. All I have to do is walk behind it and steer.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've done our house, shop, and church with our snowblower. Do it at the peak of the sun and quite a bit will melt off pretty quick.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Snow blowers in Indiana. My early childhood in the finger lakes region of New York makes me laugh at the idea. I can see the northern part of the state that gets lake effect. Here in central we get what a foot a year normally. What makes me laugh more is snow machines (what we used to call skidoo’s ) in Indiana. What they can run a week a year of late?

Most of which a nice strong leaf blower would handle. Where I grew up 20 inches in a night was normal. There you had two snow blowers. Here just drive over it a few times back and forth. Makes a nice little path to get in and out. Guess my standards are lower than most. I have two shovels and while it takes longer to shovel out it is not all that bad even if the drive is not perfect one does not get stuck in it often.

Go go ahead and buy those machines. Makes the weather turn to the north or south.

I agree with driving over it! HOWEVER; the GF insists on a clean drive and walks and I'm NOT going to shovel and I feel kind of guilty watching her out there shoveling by hand. I don't feel near as guilty watching her run the snowblower!:rockwoot:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Got the wife a new snow shovel for Christmas just because of the long range forecast. I usually get her a new starter rope for her lawnmower but her birthday is this month so I'm still good.

Our snowblower has electric start. It cleared snow and the slush created by the ice melt we spread before the snow fell. Whoever says snow blowers aren't needed in Indiana, call me back when you're 72, have had a hip replaced, and are waiting to have the other one done. Until then, shovel away kid! :):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    .What makes me laugh more is snow machines (what we used to call skidoo’s ) in Indiana. What they can run a week a year of late?

Many people that have them either do, or used to, go north to ride the trails. Indiana have over 200 miles of public access snowmobile trails in the northern part of the state, and while that may pale in comparison to our northern neighbors, it sure makes for a convenient ride when we do get snow.

Also, regarding clearing the snow. It depends on the driveway, but at my old house I would never make it up the driveway if it was slick. Therefore it was mandatory for me to clear snow asap so the residual could dry off. If I didn't clear, the snow would be ok, but then we would get one of those half-way warm-up days and it would melt into slush and refreeze into a sheet of ice, making it impassable. So my rule was always, clear the driveway before any car drove on it (packed snow was hard to shovel off the drive).

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    The NFA FAQ by Bardwell has the following quote on Flamethrowers:

Flame Thrower - not a DD, nor even a firearm. Unregulated
    as to possession, under federal law. Great way to clear snow off
    the driveway.

MH

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I just leave it. I've got four wheel drive. If I can't get out of the driveway, then I don't have to go to work.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I always shovel to cut down on mess and avoid accidents. If I get most of it off the driveway the sun takes care of the rest. Even last week when it was crazy cold it still slowly melted away.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Summer will come. Used to live in MI, WI and upstate NY...nothing IN has shown me seems much like serious winter. I'll crank up the snow blower if I have guests coming and they are old and infirm.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've opted to let it lay. There is a solid sheet of ice under the snow and with vehicles parked in the drive and the position/design of my house the sun isn't going to thaw much of it. No ice and I'd clear it but I think it's best to leave it for now.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I have some family that lives a handful of miles SE of Lake Skaneateles. What an unbelievably beautiful part of America. The Adirondacks, too. Simply gorgeous.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'm off today. I'm sitting here looking out the window debating whether to go put the plow on the ATV and clear our half mile lane. (It's 3F out.) I can get up and down the drive with no problem in an SUV so it's not an issue of getting out.

So far I've worked up a pretty good rationalization to not do it. I figure it's going to warm up later this week and the snow will melt faster and more evenly if I don't pile it up along the edges. :)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm off today. I'm sitting here looking out the window debating whether to go put the plow on the ATV and clear our half mile lane. (It's 3F out.) I can get up and down the drive with no problem in an SUV so it's not an issue of getting out.

So far I've worked up a pretty good rationalization to not do it. I figure it's going to warm up later this week and the snow will melt faster and more evenly if I don't pile it up along the edges. :)

Plenty of day-time thawing forecast over the next several days. But the freezing overnight is gonna make the bottom half of your driveway fun. :D

Top Bottom