• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should we move forward with getting this dog?

• Total voters

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Okay INGO'ers here's the situation.

My wife and I have talked about getting an outdoor dog for about 6 months now. This dog would be used to protect our children, chickens, future hogs and keep other riff-raff (preditors, stray dogs, and people) off of our property. Originally we were looking at a great pyrenees however in order to get one that was raised on a farm and would know how to protect our property and farm animals, it would cost us around $800.00 just for the pup. Oh and they tend not to be good pets for the kids and protectors of the other farm animals...

Recently, a neighbor (1/4 mile down the road) stopped by and brought a few pups that she was willing to give away if we were interested. These are American Bulldogs (a mix of a bulldog and mastiff)

This is the mom and dad of the puppies

5973_1199447513021_1433532264_579275_5820893_n.jpg

After doing due research I've found that these dogs are in-fact working farm dogs and very protective of both their owners as well as the livestock, oh and the best part, the puppy would be free.

It seems as though this puppy would be a good match for us, as it can stay outdoors (except when it's below 30 - until it's an adult), is a great protector of it's owners (i.e. great guard dog for the kiddos and wife), a great protector of livestock/farm animals that they grow up around, etc.

Here's a picture of the puppy (it's the girl on the left - Dark Brindle with white on nose)

15768_1300147510458_1433532264_856493_6521809_n.jpg

So, what do you say?

Yea or Na

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my niece runs a american bulldog rescue program. she has 2 and they are great dogs. one is really protective of her. my niece is 20 and lives in ohio where you have to be 21 to get a permit. she will get a permit when she can but we joke saying "most folks carry a gun meagan carrys a dog"

they are just great dogs and was my second choce when recently looking for a dog. my first was a rottweiler and thats what i got from her rescue but if a american bulldog had came through her rescue first thats what i would have got.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    What is the temperate of the parents? What is the tendency of this breed to interact with small children? I know it is as you raise them but a little extra research may not hurt. Once those questions are answered I think a dog would be perfect for you situation

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    What is the temperate of the parents? What is the tendency of this breed to interact with small children? I know it is as you raise them but a little extra research may not hurt. Once those questions are answered I think a dog would be perfect for you situation

GREAT Question!!

The temperament of the parents is great and as expected. They bark at us as they do not know us that well but once owner are around they are quite and well mannered. As for how they do with kids... The breed itself is great around young kids (as are the parents)

Top Bottom