• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    if i enjoy hunting for meat, do you guys think i should do my part and go kill some coyotes? ive always thought id feel terrible about killing a dog (basically)..but id deffinelty go if it meant better hunting for us all....also..whats the best way to get the yotes, and where?:patriot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i do hunt yotes. to be honest im horible at calling them, however im pretty good at seeing them in my back field and shooting them from the porch. i usually kill 5 or 6 a year like that but ive got 0 like that this year

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    If you hunt any small game or deer you should kill as many as you can
    They are opportunistic hunters and can account for 75% of fawns killed in the spring
    If your in NE in idea be glad to show you n person

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    If you hunt any small game or deer you should kill as many as you can
    They are opportunistic hunters and can account for 75% of fawns killed in the spring
    If your in NE in idea be glad to show you n person

Sorry, but I don't agree with this, at all.

I have been an avid hunter for 35+ years now. I have hunted wolves, coyote and bobcats..... in four different states. But 95% of my hunting, has been done to put meat on the table; deer, rabbits, squirrel, pheasant, quail and so on.

I'd be a liar, if I didn't say I always feel "the adventure of the hunt" when taking animals like coyote or bobcat. But quite honestly..... most, if not all of my 'kills' on these animals..... has been in areas where they were taking down livestock, or were tremendously over populated.

Not all coyotes, deserve killing. And not all coyotes are filthy, vicious predators...... tho they are born predators. Many are fairly docile, and co-exist with livestock, and yes, even chickens, etc...... in the surrounding area. It all depends on how much 'man' has intruded on the territory where they have existed and hunted, for centuries. Once a majority of land in a given area that has always been populated by coyotes, gets "cleared and developed" by humans..... the less natural food source there is for them. When the rabbit, rodent and other small mammal populations are diminshed.... by either 'developement', or poison bait, or both...... the coyote will then adapt to taking chickens, ducks, and even cats and small dogs. This is partly because the coyotes have to now compete with hawks and owls for their dinner. But you will rarely see coyotes taking down a good, healthy deer; even fawns. The deer can out run them, for one thing.

Many. many people over the last fifteen decades..... have made domestic pets of coyotes; or one of the hybrid mix pups, where one parent was a dog and the other was a coyote. In 1989. my Dad and I had been observing the movements of a young female coyote, and her four pups. All the neighbors had cats, small dogs, even chickens and ducks. That mother coyote was teaching her pups to run the ditches between the cornfields and the paved roads... to hunt rabbits and field mice, etc. None of the people who lived in the area... ever lost a chicken or cat to that group of 'yotes.

One night, in the pouring rain, one little pup got seperated from her mother and the other pups. In looking for them, she ended up crossing State Rd 18, west of Galveston.... and took shelter under my Mom's Red Maple tree, in the side yard. She was maybe seven weeks old. Long story short.... we brought her in, dried her off, and fed her milk from a baby bottle. She never left. She became my Mother's best friend and we named her 'Precious'.... because that's how my Mom described her, right after we found her shivering in the cold rain. She was with my Mom and kept her company whenever my Dad was gone winning benchrest matches, from New York to Alabama to Texas. And when Dad passed away.... it was just Mom and Precious, there in the house. Precious got hit by a truck, in 2002. My Mom cried for weeks.

Here's a (albeit poor quality) digital pic of a 35mm photo.... that my Dad took of her in 1990. She's not laying in the grass. That's my Mom's ugly green shag carpet.... in their living room.

Precious004-1.jpg

And here's a pic of a coyoye 'hybrid' pup. His father was a full-out wild coyote who procreated with a family's female German-Shepard, in Missouri. The dam (mother) had four pups. Three were 'adopted' by neighbors in the rural area there, by the time they were 4 months old. This one stayed with his mother and the family.... and ate and slept indoors. Quite a family pet actually; fully 'domesticated', docile and even very loving.....

PupCoyote-Shepard.jpg

Last edited:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Sorry, but I don't agree with this, at all.

I have been an avid hunter for 35+ years now. I have hunted wolves, coyote and bobcats..... in four different states. But 95% of my hunting, has been done to put meat on the table; deer, rabbits, squirrel, pheasant, quail and so on.

I'd be a liar, if I didn't say I always feel "the adventure of the hunt" when taking animals like coyote or bobcat. But quite honestly..... most, if not all of my 'kills' on these animals..... has been in areas where they were taking down livestock, or were tremendously over populated.

Not all coyotes, deserve killing. And not all coyotes are filthy, vicious predators...... tho they are born predators. Many are fairly docile, and co-exist with livestock, and yes, even chickens, etc...... in the surrounding area. It all depends on how much 'man' has intruded on the territory where they have existed and hunted, for centuries. Once a majority of land in a given area that has always been populated by coyotes, gets "cleared and developed" by humans..... the less natural food source there is for them. When the rabbit, rodent and other small mammal populations are diminshed.... by either 'developement', or poison bait, or both...... the coyote will then adapt to taking chickens, ducks, and even cats and small dogs. This is partly because the coyotes have to now compete with hawks and owls for their dinner. But you will rarely see coyotes taking down a good, healthy deer; even fawns. The deer can out run them, for one thing.

Many. many people over the last fifteen decades..... have made domestic pets of coyotes; or one of the hybrid mix pups, where one parent was a dog and the other was a coyote. In 1989. my Dad and I had been observing the movements of a young female coyote, and her four pups. All the neighbors had cats, small dogs, even chickens and ducks. That mother coyote was teaching her pups to run the ditches between the cornfields and the paved roads... to hunt rabbits and field mice, etc. None of the people who lived in the area... ever lost a chicken or cat to that group of 'yotes.

One night, in the pouring rain, one little pup got seperated from her mother and the other pups. In looking for them, she ended up crossing State Rd 18, west of Galveston.... and took shelter under my Mom's Red Maple tree, in the side yard. She was maybe seven weeks old. Long story short.... we brought her in, dried her off, and fed her milk from a baby bottle. She never left. She became my Mother's best friend and we named her 'Precious'.... because that's how my Mom described her, right after we found her shivering in the cold rain. She was with my Mom and kept her company whenever my Dad was gone winning benchrest matches, from New York to Alabama to Texas. And when Dad passed away.... it was just Mom and Precious, there in the house. Precious got hit by a truck, in 2002. My Mom cried for weeks.

Here's a (albeit poor quality) digital pic of a 35mm photo.... that my Dad took of her in 1990. She's not laying in the grass. That's my Mom's ugly green shag carpet.... in their living room.

Precious004-1.jpg

And here's a pic of a coyoye 'hybrid' pup. His father was a full-out wild coyote who procreated with a family's female German-Shepard, in Missouri. The dam (mother) had four pups. Three were 'adopted' by neighbors in the rural area there, by the time they were 4 months old. This one stayed with his mother and the family.... and ate and slept indoors. Quite a family pet actually; fully 'domesticated', docile and even very loving.....

PupCoyote-Shepard.jpg
    The reason you don't know of them taking chickens, cats and other family pets is the exact reason that they are quite difficult to call in this part of the country...they have plenty to eat around here, rabbits, birds, field mice etc. They are just now getting well established around here relatively speaking, and they are doing major damage to the rabbit population, as well as deer. They are plentiful, and now that indiana haas a season for them everyone who wants to fill the gap between deer and turkey season should give coyote hunting a try, it is very challenging and much needed to be hunted to keep the population in balance.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    The only good coyote is a dead coyote. So yes, kill them. All the prey species will silently thank you. They are way over populated. Last year i had a friend trap/call in over 35 coyotes on a 600 acre farm.
    This year alone I have had another friend kill 22 coyotes off of a single farm.
    They are very effieient killers.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    The reason you don't know of them taking chickens, cats and other family pets is the exact reason that they are quite difficult to call in this part of the country...they have plenty to eat around here, rabbits, birds, field mice etc. They are just now getting well established around here relatively speaking, and they are doing major damage to the rabbit population, as well as deer. They are plentiful, and now that indiana haas a season for them everyone who wants to fill the gap between deer and turkey season should give coyote hunting a try, it is very challenging and much needed to be hunted to keep the population in balance.

So are hawks and owls. Let's be honest here. Those small mammals and birds, are their main source of food. God made it that way.

I love eating rabbit.... done so, for many years. And I get real disappointed when a 'hunt' is not very productive... in an area where the rabbits should normally be populous. But we (humans) have a multitude of food sources... and won't starve, if we can't find/kill/eat rabbits and quail. The coyote doesn't have the 'option' of driving to Kroger and buying 20lbs of ground beef and steaks. 'Nuff said.... IMHO. :twocents:

Edited to add: Owls, in particular, take thousands of squirrels yearly in the U.S. ....especially in the midwest. And I've heard alot of complaints about the squirrel hunting being 'meager' in some areas, the last few years. But I don't see anyone calling for a mass slaughter of owls.... or even proposing that we make it legal to hunt them. Just sayin'......

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    coyote may be hunted year round, there is a reason for this. they do pose a direct threat to livestock & to persons, hawks & owls do not kill people.. nor can they take down large game..
    overtime there has been a steady decline in the number of hunters taking coyote , both shooting & trapping.. the wild population is now very large...

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    anyone wanna show me how to kill some yotes down by lake monroe (i figure if im gonna kill em might as well do it near where i hunt)

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Armedindy.......Hope you don't think I was trying to hijack your thread, here. As I stated... I still hunt coyotes (here in Indiana) and bobcats too (in Misssouri), when I can.

Good hunting to you! :ar15:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    So are hawks and owls. Let's be honest here. Those small mammals and birds, are their main source of food. God made it that way.

I love eating rabbit.... done so, for many years. And I get real disappointed when a 'hunt' is not very productive... in an area where the rabbits should normally be populous. But we (humans) have a multitude of food sources... and won't starve, if we can't find/kill/eat rabbits and quail. The coyote doesn't have the 'option' of driving to Kroger and buying 20lbs of ground beef and steaks. 'Nuff said.... IMHO. :twocents:

Edited to add: Owls, in particular, take thousands of squirrels yearly in the U.S. ....especially in the midwest. And I've heard alot of complaints about the squirrel hunting being 'meager' in some areas, the last few years. But I don't see anyone calling for a mass slaughter of owls.... or even proposing that we make it legal to hunt them. Just sayin'......

Hawks and owls lay 2 - 3 eggs at a time with about a 20% survival rate, coyotes have 3-7 pups at a time with a 60% survival rate.
    And coyotes unlike predatory birds weren't driven to near extinction in the 60's and 70's by the use of ddt.
    Anyone who cant find squirrels just aint huntin!

nkantzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Rochester
    yotes should be hunted in areas that need it not in all areas. We have a bunch on some of the fields we hunt so we are now trying to thin the heard.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    i do hunt yotes. to be honest im horible at calling them, however im pretty good at seeing them in my back field and shooting them from the porch. i usually kill 5 or 6 a year like that but ive got 0 like that this year

So they are just getting smarter. Good job killing all of the dumb ones. Now that they are educated you may have to take some road kill out there and give them a reason to come back besides hot metal flying through the air:ar15:. Good job!:thumbsup:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Here is why I hunt the little bastar**.
    Tennessee put approximately 37 radio collars on newborn fawns. 31 was killed within the first week by coyotes. I forgot now, but, either North or south Carolina put 100 collars on newborn fawns and 84 were killed within the first week by coyotes. My cousin in Kentucky lost 4 new born calves to coyotes last year alone. Coyotes 4-5 in a pack will stand about 50 yards away from the cow hours before she gives birth. When the calve hits the ground, a couple of coyotes distract the cow and the others drag the calve off. The mother will cry for days when she looses one. The Quail Federation says in the Midwest, we are a down approximately 5 million quail. This is due to coyotes eating eggs. I get several calls a year from farmers loosing chickens and baby pigs. For the last couple of years I have been getting calls from people in housing additions loosing small dogs and cats.
    It seems the bulk of the coyotes are living within a few miles of town. They know which houses leave pet food out in dishes and the paths to get there. I have killed several just outside of the city limits in several communities.
    They are very easy to call in with a call. But new guys 90% of the time will call one in and make some small mistake. The coyote will see you way before the hunter sees him. Coyotes are very smart, that is how they survive and prosper. the hunter calls one and gets busted without knowing it. That coyote will never come to that particular call again. If he hears it, he will set and wait for hours before investigating it. By then the hunter is gone and says he never saw any that day.
    Today the coons are getting out of hand also. Not near as many people hunt them because the price of fur is down. I'm sure this is not helping the quail either.
    I'm not going to get into the fewer rabbits,ground hogs, and foxes we have due to the coyote.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    coyotes are the number 1 carrier of k-9 destimper and mange.
    They regularly eat domestic cats and dogs and and live stock and have even been known to attack small children.
    At one time there was a site with all these facts complied of these human and domestic animal attacks by coyotes. This site was made by a group of hunters and trappers from Indiana if my memory serves me correct.

Indiana has a law that will allow anyone to "take" coyotes year round with written permission of the land owner.
    My information sayas taking can be , hunting , trapping , shooting etc.
    these coyotes can not be possesed outside the regular fur holding dates.

There really isn't any reason to worry about over harvesting coyiotes and they will adapt to pressure.
    history has show us this out west where they are hunted from the air , poisioned and trapped all year long.
    they have larger litters when the mortality rate is higher

coyotes are the cockroach of the animal world

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Got to chime in here as well..

I have missed the chance or not taken the time to coyote hunt since I was younger, much younger but I will also say death to them all..

A friend of mine enlisted my services in some lighting when I was younger. He was fortunate to be born with a God given eye and steady hand and could put a .223 round in a dime at 400 yards cold bore.. I watched him do it once.. with an old Remington saddle rifle and a 4x tasco…

Anyway, the kid got hired by a local sheep farmer who had lost 9 head of sheep, newborns in 5 days… His herd was lambing and he had lost the first 9 new lambs, the longest took 3 days to get eaten but they were all taken, eaten, etc by coyotes..

The method used to attract and exterminate these creatures is nothing short of the complexity of a chess match by a skilled player..

I can remember an infrared lit area, it’s hard to explain but it is so simple it’s hard to pull off. Which alerted you to where they were approaching from.. Key in setting up on them..

But in one evening, this young shooter decided to sit on top of this farmer’s barn with his little rifle and with a remote controlled tape recorder player called in and took out 13 coyotes who were all suffering from malnutrition. Two with only three legs having eaten their way out of a leg trap. Two very good trappers tried to solve this farmers problem all pulling good numbers but not stopping the slaughter.. And two traps found with legs in them..

The few that got away were taken out the next night except for one wounded who was still trying to hunt the third night.. He was probably the oldest of the pack.. He had taken a round in the tail which dropped his lieutenant. They have a hierarchy which is interesting..

So they may make good Coydogs or pets but heck my Dad had a pet raccoon that was awesome until one day she decided to lash out and ended up as BBQ for Sundays after church feast…

If the state thought we were over harvesting them they would change the season or limit..

I have heard that the lighting is all the difference when hunting these dirtbags..

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Got to chime in here as well..

I have missed the chance or not taken the time to coyote hunt since I was younger, much younger but I will also say death to them all..

A friend of mine enlisted my services in some lighting when I was younger. He was fortunate to be born with a God given eye and steady hand and could put a .223 round in a dime at 400 yards cold bore.. I watched him do it once.. with an old Remington saddle rifle and a 4x tasco…

Anyway, the kid got hired by a local sheep farmer who had lost 9 head of sheep, newborns in 5 days… His herd was lambing and he had lost the first 9 new lambs, the longest took 3 days to get eaten but they were all taken, eaten, etc by coyotes..

The method used to attract and exterminate these creatures is nothing short of the complexity of a chess match by a skilled player..

I can remember an infrared lit area, it’s hard to explain but it is so simple it’s hard to pull off. Which alerted you to where they were approaching from.. Key in setting up on them..

But in one evening, this young shooter decided to sit on top of this farmer’s barn with his little rifle and with a remote controlled tape recorder player called in and took out 13 coyotes who were all suffering from malnutrition. Two with only three legs having eaten their way out of a leg trap. Two very good trappers tried to solve this farmers problem all pulling good numbers but not stopping the slaughter.. And two traps found with legs in them..

The few that got away were taken out the next night except for one wounded who was still trying to hunt the third night.. He was probably the oldest of the pack.. He had taken a round in the tail which dropped his lieutenant. They have ahierarchy which is interesting..

So they may make good Coydogs or pets but heck my Dad had a pet raccoon that was awesome until one day she decided to lash out and ended up as BBQ for Sundays after church feast…

If the state thought we were over harvesting them they would change the season or limit..

I have heard that the lighting is all the difference when hunting these dirtbags..

Let's be honest here...... that is, if you can read, and did read my posts.

I never said "Don't harvest coyotes." Just to be clear..... I hunt them myself, on a limited basis. Any place that they are a threat to livestock, domestic pets and especially children.... they should be harvested.

But some of the 'posters' here... have never even been within 400 yards of a coyote (at least not knowingly), let alone hunted and killed them. Lonnie and yotewhacker are for real.... I am sure. But for some others, putting up a fascade of 'macho' great white hunter is real easy.... from a PC keyboard.

Maybe, "You are just a figment of your imagination"!?

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Here's a site with some good coyote info and tips.

As already mentioned, get a note from the landowner saying you have permission to hunt coyotes depredating his animals/livestock/pets and hunt them all year. The notes I have all have open dates on them. Many landowners will allow coyote hunting; which can later lead to deer hunting on the same land.

An electronic call is possibly the easiest way to start. See the above link for more call info. Get a one-handed squeeker, too.

Top Bottom