• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Got to chime in here as well..

I have missed the chance or not taken the time to coyote hunt since I was younger, much younger but I will also say death to them all..

A friend of mine enlisted my services in some lighting when I was younger. He was fortunate to be born with a God given eye and steady hand and could put a .223 round in a dime at 400 yards cold bore.. I watched him do it once.. with an old Remington saddle rifle and a 4x tasco…

Anyway, the kid got hired by a local sheep farmer who had lost 9 head of sheep, newborns in 5 days… His herd was lambing and he had lost the first 9 new lambs, the longest took 3 days to get eaten but they were all taken, eaten, etc by coyotes..

The method used to attract and exterminate these creatures is nothing short of the complexity of a chess match by a skilled player..

I can remember an infrared lit area, it’s hard to explain but it is so simple it’s hard to pull off. Which alerted you to where they were approaching from.. Key in setting up on them..

But in one evening, this young shooter decided to sit on top of this farmer’s barn with his little rifle and with a remote controlled tape recorder player called in and took out 13 coyotes who were all suffering from malnutrition. Two with only three legs having eaten their way out of a leg trap. Two very good trappers tried to solve this farmers problem all pulling good numbers but not stopping the slaughter.. And two traps found with legs in them..

The few that got away were taken out the next night except for one wounded who was still trying to hunt the third night.. He was probably the oldest of the pack.. He had taken a round in the tail which dropped his lieutenant. They have ahierarchy which is interesting..

So they may make good Coydogs or pets but heck my Dad had a pet raccoon that was awesome until one day she decided to lash out and ended up as BBQ for Sundays after church feast…

If the state thought we were over harvesting them they would change the season or limit..

I have heard that the lighting is all the difference when hunting these dirtbags..

It's a game of checkers, not chess, do not over think it. Don't figure out a way to turn the ladder when changing a light bulb. Just turn the bulb itself.

When you call in a pack of coyotes, most likely the first one to your call will be the Alpha male. If you kill him, you have upset the nature of the pack. Now two males will fight over the top spot. The one who looses will go off and and never come back. Almost always a female will follow. Now you have two packs instead of one to get rid of. This is why coyotes spread so quickly.

Now when you go hunting and call in a coyote. If you see one, don't get buck fever and hurry up and shoot to kill it. Then jump up and high five your buddy. Wait till he gets really close to your call. Most likely in the distance you will see another coyote watching. This is probably the female waiting for the Alpha male approval to come closer. The first one in is usually the Alpha male, second usually the female. Shoot the female first. Then with a quick follow up shot, you can shoot the male as he runs away. As he is running, make a WOOF or BARK sound at him. Most likely he will stop, turn sideways and look at you for a second or two before he dispersers in the brush. This is your only time to get a second shot without trying to see how well you shoot at a moving target. This will start to eliminate the pack rather than to split it into two packs.
    A coyote is not that smart. They just learn from us very quick.

Make sure your call is 75-100 yards up wind of you. This way the coyote will circle around to get downwind. When he does, he is not looking at you but at your call. And this will give the female time to get in gun range.
    I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    @green607 - I read it all, I was agreeing with you for the most part, where they need to be taken, take them, if they aren't harming anything they rid the world of some other nuisance animals so leave them alone and I guess hunt them for sport. All I was saying it is a case by case basis.. As for "You are just a figment of your imagination" your not the first and probbably won't be the last to say that.. Hope you are well and have a good day..

@yotewacker - I wasn't overthingnking anything, I was taught how to easily exterminate the threat to livestock by a person who was very skilled at doing so. All I did was setup "light trip wires" to gain info on exactly what you described, how many, from which direction. If you setup an infrared light with narrow beams across paths leading into the live stock area, you easily could see a shine when something would walk through the beams and thus let you know what, how many and from which path they were coming. I thinnk the guy used different wounded animal recordings, rabbits, etc to call them in and he would take a few out and then they would run off and then waited for hours for them to come back.. I would like to learn more from someone who is curently sucessful at hunting them.. Hope you are well and also have a good day.

And as an "oh by the way" I am not a professional hunter, I haven't hunted in years and never claimed to be any good at it..

TJ

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I met a guy who was giving me the coyotes he killed a few years back.
    He had a pretty neat set up that worked very well.

He had taken some dead pigs out about 150 yards or so from his house. he bought a cheap driveway sensor and mounted it on a wooden stake driven in the ground facing that staked downs pigs , the other end of the sensor was placed in his house.
    Part way between his house and the pig pile he had mounted a set of flood lights on a 6x6 post about 10 foot in the air and had replaced the bulbs with red bulbs
    he also had a switch in the house.
    he had some type of mount where he could open the window and shoot to the dead pigs.
    Once the coyotes came to feed , his driveway sensor went off , he walked to the window and slid it open , turned on the red flood lights and dropped the hammer on the coyotes.
    for a while he was giving me 5 or six coyotes a week.

at first he brought them to my cuz's house for me but i soon stopped by and witnessed the setup and dead coyotes still where he shot them for myself.
    Now that was a slick setup

just wish I lived in the country and could have a similar setup

Top Bottom