To leave negative rep or not what say you INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I guess it would be the buyer's fault if the ad had read; "May back out on deal if I get a better offer after we already agreed, but I won't tell you unless you outright ask...so I caution you against giving me benefit of the doubt of actually honoring my own words... Or at least not driving too far before you contact me on the date of our meet-time."

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I guess it would be the buyer's fault if the ad had read; "May back out on deal if I get a better offer after we already agreed, but I won't tell you unless you outright ask...so I caution you against giving me benefit of the doubt of actually honoring my own words... Or at least not driving too far before you contact me on the date of our meet-time."
    Hey. The seller might run across someone else on the way to the meet while buying a slurpee at the convenience store that offers them more.

Since no money has changed hands yet per the original verbal agreement with the original buyer then the deal conducted over a round of slurpees with another buyer is all good. Right?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Maybe I am out of line here... but until cash and product exchanges hands, there is not much of a 'deal'.
    Any number of things could come up between initial agreement and the above (including the quality of the product up close and personal). Not so great to have happen, but not sure it requires neg rep or neg feedback.

1) There will ALWAYS be another deal coming along if you haven't reached 50 just yet, don't have the money just now, or whatever.
    2) in light of the above, there will ALWAYS be another buyer if your price is right.
    3) In light of the above, If one is getting bent out of shape over 'deals' in the classifieds, they're forgetting or ignoring much of what INGO is really about.

The purchase or sale of a gun is not the 'end all, be all' of INGO. My 2cents.

I do agree that the deal was not completed until the money and gun changed hands, but a deal was made. People have committed to make a deal with someone and because they are a standup person they consider it is going to happen. They agree on a day and time to meet. Then the buyer finds a better deal or a gun he wants more, but he can't afford to buy both. He has to pass on the second deal since the first is pending. Then at the last minute to first guy backs out and you lose out on both.

It is just a gun and their will be other deals out there as you say, but my time is important to me. It is about respect for others.
    I'm not getting bent out of shape because people are just people and some are never taught respect for others.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    per the original verbal agreement
    Why even call it an "agreement", then?

[h=2]Definition of agreement (n)[/h]Bing Dictionary

• a·gree·ment
    • [ ə gréemənt ]

• formal contract: a contract or arrangement, either written or verbal and sometimes enforceable by law
    • situation or act of consent: the state of having come to the same opinion or having made the same decision as somebody else, or an expression of this state
    • consensus of opinion: a situation in which everyone accepts the same terms or has the same opinion

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Unless you are standing in front of him, he doesn't know if you are really going to show up on Monday. He doesn't know you anymore than you know him.

He was asking for a certain price, you are not willing to pay that price. You are also not willing to jam over to him pronto to conclude the deal for your lowered offer with cash. You wanted to maybe meet a day or two later. You can't leave the guy hanging on for your call.

If you want a serious seller to sell to you at a reduced price, you need to be a serious, eager buyer.

I don't think negative rep is appropriate unless you had showed up with cash in hand and he then chose to back out.

You are correct that he doesn't know that I am going to show up unless he looks at my feedback and see what others have to say about me. Did you look? I would have to say that you didn't.

Did you even read my original post? I will have to again say that you didn't or you have a comprehension problem. I did contact him Via: INGO, text and phone call. One of the calls to him was while he was working and text me to let me know he was at work and unavailable. He said that he work nights and weekends. So out of RESPECT is asked him to call me when he was available, so that I didn't interrupt his sleep patterns.

As far as running right over there that is a little difficult since he was five hours away. I was going right through there on Monday and could meet him within walking distance from his house (he said he passed on deals due to them being too far away).

I do thank you for posting on this thread because it has let me know to add you to my don't deal with list. I prefer to deal with people that have higher standards. (I hope others are taking note as well)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    he can leave you retaliatory negative i trader feedback even though you don't deserve it.
    ^^^+1 on that..Some sellers, Myself included REALLY take pride in having 100% Feedback. I know of a few Members on INGO that have lost their 100% due to an AssHat's negative feedback, that they received..That's the chance you take..Bill.

I understand what the risk is of me leaving neg iTrader feedback is, but when do we take a stand to let others know so they know what to expect. Do we just think about our own little circle or the betterment of the group?

I have had some deals with people that had some hiccups along the way but they contacted me right away and said they would make it right to keep from getting neg feedback. They brought up the neg feedback issue not me. It wasn't a big enough issue that that I would have left neg iTrader feedback.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I know I'm in the minority, but I would probably just move on. I wouldn't neg rep him. I'm not saying forget about it either, I certainly wouldn't deal with him again, and would probably just look at it as he wasn't the kind of guy you wanted to do business with anyway. Like they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I don't like the whole concept of neg rep. I am more of the philosophy that if you can't say something positive, just don't say anything at all.

Agree.........just let it go

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Why even call it an "agreement", then?

Definition of agreement (n)

Bing Dictionary

• a·gree·ment
    • [ ə gréemənt ]

• formal contract: a contract or arrangement, either written or verbal and sometimes enforceable by law
    • situation or act of consent: the state of having come to the same opinion or having made the same decision as somebody else, or an expression of this state
    • consensus of opinion: a situation in which everyone accepts the same terms or has the same opinion
    You're right. I guess any kind of agreement is'nt necessary then. Just throw caution to the wind and anything goes by both parties until money and goods actually change hands.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You're right. I guess any kind of agreement is'nt necessary then. Just throw caution to the wind and anything goes by both parties until money and goods actually change hands.

I really don't think you picked up what I was laying down.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And whose fault is it if that conversation did not take place? I fault both buyer and seller if this important detail was not mentioned. Again, the deal was to be concluded some days after the offer was made. The seller doesn't really know if the buyer is real or not.

I always assume that a better offer trumps my discounted offer. That is just me apparently.

Sure a better offer trumps a discounted offer. But once that offer becomes a deal, it should be final regardless of what else comes along.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The guy still hasn't even marked the ad as "sold". Definitely the negative iTrader rating at the very least. If I were in your shoes I'd probably do the negative rep as well.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have had a couple of sellers flake on deals, I did not leave negative feedback simply because if they were such a flake to not honor a deal they would likely be the kind of flake that would give retaliatory feedback.

However, now that my feedback rating is in higher numbers I am not going to be as concerned about it if it happens again. If they give retaliatory feedback I will just torment them till they cry like a little girl.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have had a couple of sellers flake on deals, I did not leave negative feedback simply because if they were such a flake to not honor a deal they would likely be the kind of flake that would give retaliatory feedback.

However, now that my feedback rating is in higher numbers I am not going to be as concerned about it if it happens again. If they give retaliatory feedback I will just torment them till they cry like a little girl.

That right there is funny. Rep inbound :):

Edit: Im out of Rep for now some one Rep Diesel for me.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    OP, so you text the seller if you was still on for the sale? sounds like your were a little unsure urself. You got an answer that you didnt agree with and you wanna send neg rep. Cmon man!!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There are some very good points in here. I had a similar deal go south where we both agreed to a trade + cash deal and the very day I was to meet him for the trade he backed out and offered up some sort of lame excuse. I didn't want to receive negative rep back in response to mine so I opted not to give it to him...but in retrospect I wish I had. We had both agreed upon the deal so there was no gray area there and had both agreed upon a place to do the trade that was about equal distance between the 2 of us... and if it weren't for me checking my INGO in box I'd have driven about 25 miles just to find out he'd backed out.

I think you do Negative Rep somebody for that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had to let sellers know my plans had changed. Medical issues. Trans went out of my truck. Brakes went out of my Van....real world stuff. I always informed.

Top Bottom