Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for asking. Quite honestly, I'm not doing very good. Had the first symptoms almost a month ago, still can't breathe very well, just sitting here my pulse will get up over 120, trying to cough up a lung regularly. And still no smell or taste so not eating much. Had an EKG yesterday that wasn't very good, Dr is thinking further cardiac testing may be in order if things don't improve pronto. Still got a mental fog and a good case of CRS. At least the headaches have subsided enough that OTC meds help out some. If this is a mild to middlin' case, I'd hate to see what a severe case is like.

And yeah, if a vaccine is available and is fairly safe and effective, I'll be first in line to get it. This isn't something I want to go through again.

This is my 4th week off work, and no return in sight.

Dang.

I am fortunate I guess to have never been sick that long with ANYTHING. I've had a couple of surgeries with weeks of restrictions, but the major pain was gone pretty quickly. I had a bad flu once that affected my ability to do vigorous exercise or long work days for a few weeks, but the actual noticeable illness was, at worst, a week.

I certainly hope you don't have any cardiac damage :(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You are being a literalist with this stuff. Memes are meant to convey a point, not be the source of data for a study.

With the caveat that due to the nature of the crime worldwide no one knows exact numbers, this is from USA Today on trafficking. Doesn't seem to be so far from a meme that makes a point.

There are more than 4 million victims of sex trafficking globally
    A study from the United Nations’ International Labour Organization estimated 3.8 million adults and 1 million children were victims of forced sexual exploitation in 2016 around the world.

So no the meme is not factually correct, but it still can make a valid point...

If it is not factual and is not obviously intended as hyperbole, it cannot really make a point. The example I cited used specific numbers and was clearly intended to be taken as accurate. It could have said "much more likely" and I don't even know if that is true, but it would be harder to show as obviously false. Further, just today I saw someone still passing the fake AOC tweet about shutdowns...as true.

As an aside, I wonder what the chances are that any of us will have to use a firearm to defend ourselves in our lifetimes...

...yet we carry guns.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If it is not factual and is not obviously intended as hyperbole, it cannot really make a point. The example I cited used specific numbers and was clearly intended to be taken as accurate. It could have said "much more likely" and I don't even know if that is true, but it would be harder to show as obviously false. Further, just today I saw someone still passing the fake AOC tweet about shutdowns...as true.

As an aside, I wonder what the chances are that any of us will have to use a firearm to defend ourselves in our lifetimes...

...yet we carry guns.

Can we quit the literalism?

The meme you describe accurately paints the situation that millions of kids are in sex slavery and few care while a few kids get covid and it is an overblown topic. You just need an interpreter to assist you in decerning the nuances you miss or do not want to see.

The antifa school teacher meme may be fake. Can we trust "The Heavy"? But would not be surprised if significant portions were public employees...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can we quit the literalism?

The meme you describe accurately paints the situation that millions of kids are in sex slavery and few care while a few kids get covid and it is an overblown topic. You just need an interpreter to assist you in decerning the nuances you miss or do not want to see.

The antifa school teacher meme may be fake. Can we trust "The Heavy"? But would not be surprised if significant portions were public employees...

No. Something that is stated as fact is either fact or not. If it was close, I’d say- no problem. If it was debatable, well, fine. Something is obvious hyperbole or humor, sure. Those are not masquerading as facts. What I very specifically object to are memes, or pictures or whatever that are presented as fact...and are not. If the meme isn’t that, no problem.

At best, whoever made that doesn’t know how to analyze data. At worst and I suspect this is the case, they made it up to “make a point”....but if you use made up numbers to make a point, you have not made a point.

There are plenty of memes that use humor to make a point. That is not one. Many state things as facts that are not facts. How can something that is false support a point? If the real number is 100 times or 1000 times, does that make the point less? Why make stuff up? None of us should trust anything that whoever made that meme is pushing. They will, obviously, lie to get the reaction they want.

One could even be trying to make a point that is valid and important, but if they use fairy-tales presented as fact, they are not helping.

I find it more than a little weird that all of a sudden more conservative people have taken up the “sex slavery” cause when the best evidence seems to show it is not significantly more of a problem than it was decades ago...but we can, what? Use it to dismiss the ‘Rona...make a political point? I don’t get it. 30 years of ignoring and issue and now: BLAM it’s everywhere...with made up pseudo-facts for support.

...but if anyone cares about the actual numbers from a respected source.... https://www.missingkids.org/footer/media/keyfacts

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You leave her personal life out of this.
    Eh, I don’t see the big deal. So she does Both waffles or pancakes. I dunno. Maybe she could do both at the same time. That might be a little weird. But hey, don’t knock what you haven’t tried.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No. Something that is stated as fact is either fact or not. If it was close, I’d say- no problem. If it was debatable, well, fine. Something is obvious hyperbole or humor, sure. Those are not masquerading as facts. What I very specifically object to are memes, or pictures or whatever that are presented as fact...and are not. If the meme isn’t that, no problem.

At best, whoever made that doesn’t know how to analyze data. At worst and I suspect this is the case, they made it up to “make a point”....but if you use made up numbers to make a point, you have not made a point.

There are plenty of memes that use humor to make a point. That is not one. Many state things as facts that are not facts. How can something that is false support a point? If the real number is 100 times or 1000 times, does that make the point less? Why make stuff up? None of us should trust anything that whoever made that meme is pushing. They will, obviously, lie to get the reaction they want.

One could even be trying to make a point that is valid and important, but if they use fairy-tales presented as fact, they are not helping.

I find it more than a little weird that all of a sudden more conservative people have taken up the “sex slavery” cause when the best evidence seems to show it is not significantly more of a problem than it was decades ago...but we can, what? Use it to dismiss the ‘Rona...make a political point? I don’t get it. 30 years of ignoring and issue and now: BLAM it’s everywhere...with made up pseudo-facts for support.

...but if anyone cares about the actual numbers from a respected source.... https://www.missingkids.org/footer/media/keyfacts
    This is a long post for Hough which means he’s fairly serious about it. I think I’ll need to go back and give this part of the conversation a more serious look.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is a long post for Hough which means he’s fairly serious about it. I think I’ll need to go back and give this part of the conversation a more serious look.

Don’t. There’s very little to no entertainment value. Plus, I’ve eaten now, so I’m calm.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    With or without the simultaneously implanted subcutaneous RFID 'health passport'?

Can't help but wonder where the Gates of hell will be after the dust settles on the bank bug.
    But, I know what Rev. 13 says so eventually they have their way with us.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I find it more than a little weird that all of a sudden more conservative people have taken up the “sex slavery” cause when the best evidence seems to show it is not significantly more of a problem than it was decades ago...

It's their new "satanic panic".:coffee:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    That's it, I'm going to the garage and taking sausage out of the freezer right now so it's ready for the pancakes tomorrow morning.
    And the buckboard bacon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom