To sell or not to sell, I need opinions!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have a Bushmaster AR. Basically stock, but I have optics and a trigger on it. I recently bought a slidefire stock for it. Ive been in Zombie mode for some reason lately, cant really explain why. Ive had the AR for a few years now and use to hunt with it. Ive since been using my bolt guns for hunting. I am geared more towards long range shooting and accuracy. Im no pro and would love more training in it tho. I have a remy 700 in 30-06 that I can group 1" at 200 yds. Ive been debating on selling the AR and buying a 308 and decking it out. Any opinions or suggestions??

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I would keep the AR just so that I had a lower cost plinking option. If your just shooting 30-06 and .308, that ammo is much more expensive.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you can afford to keep it, then do. If you must sell it to obtain something you will actually use, then sell it. I can tell you that an AR is very versatile and is always a good rifle to have around, though.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you really want to get rid of it, you can always donate to the remman AR-15 fund! I'll even let you keep the optics! :D But seriously, I'd keep it. They're fun and cheap to shoot (granting, of course, that cheap is a relative term), plus you never know when you might need one!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Depends on how bad you want a new bolt gun and the funds to do it ratio. Me have a hard time parting and have had regrets on some but not all.

Long range shooting is highly addictive and does not burn a lot of ammo by nature. AR's sell well but I'd make sure, IMO.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Keep the 30-06, no need for 308, the difference in accuracy of 308 is negligable. 30-06 is better in some ways, like long distance I think. Some, though not many, claim the 30-06 is better all around Save your Bushmaster for the Zombies for god's sakes!

I am keeping my 30-06 because it is the traditional round for the Rem700. If it was good enough for Carlos Hathcock, then it is better than I. I also have an 1894 in 30-30, because that's what it was made for. And I keep my 6920 with 5.56!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    theres quite a few people i work with that has scopes on there ars for long distance and I always say you can never have too many guns

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I would keep the AR if you can and try to use the 30-06 for longer range. If you haven't tried working up loads for either, you may be surprised at what you can do with either rifle.

While .308 match ammo can be found for notably less than commercial 30-06 match loads, I suspect the cost per round is far closer when you are only buying primers, powder, and bullets.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    If you really don't see yourself using it, ever....
    Wait until the fall, just before the election, then sell it. Panic should have everything AR selling at a premium.
    When the election is done, give it 6 months and buy what you really think you'll use.

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    If you'd put a good quailty long range scope on your AR it'll be more fun than your bolt-actions. You can also deck out the AR more in different ways. I remember shooting my M-16 long range and I was scary accurate! :ar15:I currently have a RR AR-15 I plink with.

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN
    I have a Bushmaster AR. Basically stock, but I have optics and a trigger on it. I recently bought a slidefire stock for it. Ive been in Zombie mode for some reason lately, cant really explain why. Ive had the AR for a few years now and use to hunt with it. Ive since been using my bolt guns for hunting. I am geared more towards long range shooting and accuracy. Im no pro and would love more training in it tho. I have a remy 700 in 30-06 that I can group 1" at 200 yds. Ive been debating on selling the AR and buying a 308 and decking it out. Any opinions or suggestions??

My boyfriend decked his AR out and I absolutely LOVE it!! I know you said you have optics on yours but my bf has a holographic sight which is pretty sweet! There are also so many things that you can add to your plain AR!! I would definitely keep it! :D

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    If you absolutely HATE the AR, then by all means sell it.
    But if your main reason for selling it is to get some money to build another gun, you'll regret it in the long run.
    Someday, you'll look back and say "I never should have sold that AR. Now I'm going to have to buy another one!"
    I say keep it and just keep saving for your tricked out .308 :twocents:

Kory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    If you really don't see yourself using it, ever....
    Wait until the fall, just before the election, then sell it. Panic should have everything AR selling at a premium.
    When the election is done, give it 6 months and buy what you really think you'll use.

^Wise man^

especialy if going from evil back gun to sensible high powered sniper ri... er hunting rifle

Top Bottom