• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Conceal if at all possible. The Greyman philosophy is one I was living by for years before I knew there was a name for it. I always have my Glock 22 on me, and I can hide it well. When the weather's cool out, my favorite concealment trick is an LLBean cardigan. It hides your weapon, and chicks totally dig it!
    You know you are good at Greyman when you can wander around in public OC'ing and nobody notices... ;)
    Sidebar: Indianapolis --> Wabash? 80 miles. If you've lost your vehicle, you would be more than lucky to do 20 miles / day, 4 days in a row. Realistically, plan for at least 5.5 days.
    5.5 days really?!
    I can do it in 2, but I would not be trying to be overly stealthy about it. Also Wabash had better be the end of the line for like 3-4 days to recover... :):
    I disagree with you to the extent that "long distance" can be a relative term. In the city, "long distance" can be the end of the block or across the street - if it's out of your immediate line-of-sight. Seems to me that the solo evader probably needs to be thinking in terms of immediate action drills: "take fire, take cover, assess the threat, drag out the rifle - if necessary - or engage with your secondary weapon, break contact, continue to evade" or something along those lines. Projecting a relatively harmless image may deflect attention away from the evader - or it may attract jackals who think they can take what they want without consequences to themselves. The solo evader had better cultivate the ability to notice the other guy first and be able to assess his intentions - get inside HIS decision cycle; it gives the evader more options than armed confrontation.
    Ask a LAPD SWAT Sniper what a Long Range shot is, I bet he says 2-300 yards. Now ask a Sniper from the Military what a Long Range shot is, I bet it is a little closer to 4 digits... ;)
    There is the gray man approach but if moving through the city for whatever reason it would be difficult to go totally un-noticed.
    Awareness and practice doing it. It is not easy, but with LOTS of practice it can be done.
    I have to disagree on your wolf pack thought assessment, I think even if you show that you are armed, the human approach of the wolf pack is to take what ever they want, from who ever they run across, they have no concerns or cares, they want what you have.
    Yes and no, my experience has shown to me that if you show your weapon as a type of deterrent make damn sure it looks like you no how to use it and you are not afraid to kill someone with it...

Gangs of thugs are looking for the easy target in the places I have been. I do not think the gangs here would be any tougher, smarter, or more deadly than the gangs in turd world countries...

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I would lean toward concealing my weapons as much as is feasible without compromising access to them. Also, the way that you carry yourself can convey what type of target you are (hard or soft).

Just my :twocents:

Sling

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Again, a pack of thugs may be emboldened in a lawless scenario and come straight at you but through some personal experience standing your ground, picking out and advancing on the alpha and his Lt. taking them on first (if you are going to get it, go after it) it will disrupt and scatter them to a point. If they are all armed and likely will be, situationel awareness striking first with accurate targeting and finishing up the work. Do to them as they were about to do you.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Oh, i'm pretty sure i could do two forty mile days hauling butt (and bum tired at the end.) Still 15-20, loaded down with all the gear folks talk about bugging out with, not too mention that there are a LOT of people in here who would need three-four days rest after ONE twenty mile day carrying only water. ;)

Hybrid bike? 6 hours. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, i'm pretty sure i could do two forty mile days hauling butt (and bum tired at the end.) Still 15-20, loaded down with all the gear folks talk about bugging out with, not too mention that there are a LOT of people in here who would need three-four days rest after ONE twenty mile day carrying only water. ;)

I would need hospitalization............:D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Sorry I cannot overcome the thought of the Swiss Army mounted on bikes...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry I cannot overcome the thought of the Swiss Army mounted on bikes...

You see them rollin', you be hatin'. ;)

You know? I just got out of the shower and was thinking about it... I don't think I could do two 40 miles days anymore in a row. I'm thinking I would be into the third day on an 80 mile. Dang... getting old sucks.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You see them rollin', you be hatin'. ;)

You know? I just got out of the shower and was thinking about it... I don't think I could do two 40 miles days anymore in a row. I'm thinking I would be into the third day on an 80 mile. Dang... getting old sucks.
    I done a 40 miler a year ago with a 45 pound ruck...

To say it sucked is an understatement...

The sad then is that 20 years ago I could do that, with a trip to the bar before and after the walk... :(

Yeah getting old sucks....

Creeper26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Columbia City
    Secondary pistol that accepts the same mags as your primary. The compact version of your Glock. I have Kimber full size & Commander, same rounds and mags.

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This has been an enjoyable discussion to follow. In the scenario where government becomes the enemy, does anyone have concerns of the paperwork trail when purchasing new guns? I'm trying to figure out if it is just my over active imagination and paranoia. I realize there is a paper trail from my hunting license and LCTH so I'm starting to think my avoidance of new guns for this purpose is irrational.

TO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has been an enjoyable discussion to follow. In the scenario where government becomes the enemy, does anyone have concerns of the paperwork trail when purchasing new guns? I'm trying to figure out if it is just my over active imagination and paranoia. I realize there is a paper trail from my hunting license and LCTH so I'm starting to think my avoidance of new guns for this purpose is irrational.

TO

If the SHTF scenario was as George Orwell's 1984 then the paper trail would be an issue as are all other tax documents such as your LTCH. That is, for the most part, a tax receipt as I see it. Another fee of sorts so Big Brother (Orwell) can charge you for the rights you already have.
    Of course, I lost all my guns in a huge boating accident in 89. Sad, just sad.

Lilboy1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Only one good answer here: conceal. Get and use an IWB holster (check out N8 squared) immediately. Also get and use a non tacti-kool bag for the AR (like a bat bag). Remember: CC gives you more options. PS I like your weapon choices, if you also carry a Benchmafe knife i'll adopt you.

I second the N8 squared. I love mine for my glocks. The most comfortable cc holster I have and even friends that know I carry have been fooled by me carrying with it.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    If the SHTF scenario was as George Orwell's 1984 then the paper trail would be an issue as are all other tax documents such as your LTCH. That is, for the most part, a tax receipt as I see it. Another fee of sorts so Big Brother (Orwell) can charge you for the rights you already have.

Were we on the same boat? I seem to have lost all mine the same way! Maybe they need to worry more about boat regulation than gun regulation.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed

Were we on the same boat? I seem to have lost all mine the same way! Maybe they need to worry more about boat regulation than gun regulation.

Its not suprising that we lost all of our weapons/stuff that day with ALL of us being on that boat...I think it went down just from being overloaded. What were we thinking anyway?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I just finished reading this thread and one thing sticks out as being overlooked; the OP said he had a BOB, which to me means a backpack. All the good backpacks that I have ever seen use waist belts to keep the weight off your shoulders. How, pray tell, are you going to conceal using an IWB holster with any comfort and still have access to the firearm while wearing the backpack?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I just finished reading this thread and one thing sticks out as being overlooked; the OP said he had a BOB, which to me means a backpack. All the good backpacks that I have ever seen use waist belts to keep the weight off your shoulders. How, pray tell, are you going to conceal using an IWB holster with any comfort and still have access to the firearm while wearing the backpack?
    Rectal Carry?! :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rectal Carry?! :dunno:

Perfect.

My BOB is integrated into a vest that carry's all of the mags for pistol and AR. It has a cross draw holster built in and it also works with my belt. Everything ties together and the drop leg holster allows for a second handgun if I choose to carry it. The vest and straps on the BOB spread the load out nicely for me.
    The vest has areas for power bars etc. as well and the cross draw can be used as storage if I choose to. Takes me a second to get it all on and I am not running much but it is all there.

Top Bottom