• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just ordered this for grins...

Had a G2 Millenium and actually liked it. I don't remember why I sold it (probably to buy something else), but the price is right for a knocking around backup gun.
    P226 18rd mags fit it. The mec gar mags. Look on ebay they have sleeves that fit the mag perfectly if you want to go that route.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    P226 18rd mags fit it. The mec gar mags. Look on ebay they have sleeves that fit the mag perfectly if you want to go that route.
    No kidding? I never would have thought that SIG mags would fit a Taurus! What do you mean by "sleeves"? I know ebay doesn't carry any mags over 10 rounds.

Ah, nevermind. I found them.

I don't think I'm going to go that route, just because it would kind of defeat the purpose of a small 9mm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No kidding? I never would have thought that SIG mags would fit a Taurus! What do you mean by "sleeves"? I know ebay doesn't carry any mags over 10 rounds.

I don't think I'm going to go that route, just because it would kind of defeat the purpose of a small 9mm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I did it because my entire little finger hung off the bottom of the grip. Not fun to shoot like that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I did it because my entire little finger hung off the bottom of the grip. Not fun to shoot like that.
    I've got pretty small hands so it wasn't a problem with the one I had before with the standard 12 round mag. Still, 12 rounds is nice in a little compact 9mm. Would give me more capacity than my Shield 45 (but of course you only have to shoot the bad guy once with a 45... ;) ).

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've got pretty small hands so it wasn't a problem with the one I had before with the standard 12 round mag. Still, 12 rounds is nice in a little compact 9mm. Would give me more capacity than my Shield 45 (but of course you only have to shoot the bad guy once with a 45... ;) ).
    I have this method of how many times the bad guy needs shot minimum for incapacitating them :). That is 1200 ft lbs of energy. So if it's a 22lr pistol that would be a minimum of 12 rds.
    9mm +p 4 rds,.
    10mm 2rds
    5.56x45 2 rds
    308 Winchester 1 rd

:ar15:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have this method of how many times the bad guy needs shot minimum for incapacitating them :). That is 1200 ft lbs of energy. So if it's a 22lr pistol that would be a minimum of 12 rds.
    9mm +p 4 rds,.
    10mm 2rds
    5.56x45 2 rds
    308 Winchester 1 rd

Or 45-70... ;)

The 325gr bullet has an advertised muzzle velocity of 2,050 feet per second and a muzzle energy of 3,032 foot pounds. Buffalo Bore produces one of the hottest .45-70 loads available with a 405gr jacketed flat point bullet propelled at 2,000 feet per second for a tooth rattling 3,597 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

Almost enough for 3 bad guys with one shot! :):

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    All i remember is when taurus had an issue with one of their semi auto pistols and refused to warranty them. Took a class action lawsuit to get them to move on the subject.

Something about guns firing even when the safety was engaged?

Never touched em.

Google-fu to the rescue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All i remember is when taurus had an issue with one of their semi auto pistols and refused to warranty them. Took a class action lawsuit to get them to move on the subject.

Something about guns firing even when the safety was engaged?

Never touched em.

Google-fu to the rescue.

Eh, it happens. Even SIG was not immune.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    9mm +p 4 rds,.
    10mm 2rds
    5.56x45 2 rds
    308 Winchester 1 rd

Never use the 308. You won’t be able to see the fear in the ba___rds eyes and watch him suffer a bit!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I have a Taurus 905. It's currently my only revolver. It's clunky and has a bad habit of light strikes (is it called light strike in revolvers?). It will leave a dimple on the round and go boom the next time around the wheel, but.... Click. is a gut wrenching sound. I paid next to nothing for it and figure it's worth even less. So I keep it for the novelty of 9mm in a revolver.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Almost enough for 3 bad guys with one shot! :):
    Deadpool_AtomicFiction_VFX_21A.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Taurus 905. It's currently my only revolver. It's clunky and has a bad habit of light strikes (is it called light strike in revolvers?). It will leave a dimple on the round and go boom the next time around the wheel, but.... Click. is a gut wrenching sound. I paid next to nothing for it and figure it's worth even less. So I keep it for the novelty of 9mm in a revolver.
    You can contact Taurus and get it set to them to have it fixed or go to your local Gunsmith.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    OK, I will admit I am a Taurus fan, primarily because they are inexpensive AND I have never had any issues with them. My first .38/.357 was a Taurus with a 4" barrel. It shot wonderfully and was the most accurate revolver I owned. The only reason I traded it off was because it was ported, and VERY LOUD. I wanted to use it as a backup for deer hunting but was afraid to shoot it without lots of hearing protection. I now have a Ruger GP100 that fills the same role, and it has become my favorite revolver. I also own the model 85 (.38 snub) and do not plan on letting that one go.

I have had several Taurus pistols too. My favorite, that I wish I had not traded, was a 24/7C in .45 ACP. If I saw another one for sale now, I would seriously consider grabbing it. I cannot speak about Taurus's customer service since I have never needed to use them.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    How much do you like recoil? If high-fiving a sledgehammer gets your loins stirring, get the .454 Casull. In a 4" Redhawk, hot .45 Colt loads are plenty for me. It's more like high fiving a framing hammer. I would suppose if I had a T-rex charging me I wouldn't be as inclined to notice it, but "Ruger Only" loads at the range aren't fun to me and a cylinder full is plenty.

Keep in mind any revolver that shoots two things shoots one or both of them worse because of it, especially if shot from the same cylinder. Sights can't be regulated for two different loads. One bullet will have to jump a wider gap before starting to be stabilized. Maintenance requirements will increase with the shorter cartridge creating carbon deposits that make the longer cartridge sticky. How much those things matter to you depend on what you intend to do and what you value. For *me*, I wouldn't bother with .454 until I got into longer barrel lengths, say 6" and up if I bothered with .454 at all.

Also, do you reload? When shooting the bigger bore revolver cartridges, return on investment is *very* quick due to the cost of commercial loads. It also lets you make those "Ruger Only" loads if you just need to shoot someone hiding behind your neighbor's refrigerator or feel like your palm hasn't been sufficiently punished by your other available options.
    Eh, just get an X frame .460 S&W. I can shoot .460, .454 and 45 Colt and the 45 feels like a .22 with that heavy ass frame. Lol

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Fact is, most of us have limited personal experience with various samples of various firearms products, and small sample sizes from which to draw conclusions.

In my personal experience, almost every time I've been out shooting with someone who has had a Taurus, they always ended up apologizing/rationalizing for it when it malfunctions (i.e. "it doesn't normally do that," "it must be the ammo," etc.). Others in this thread have had Taurus xyz and haven't had any problems with it.

So much for the anecdotal feedback.

That said, I've consulted those that have worked in gun stores for some time, and gunsmiths and am told that Tauruses (Tauri?) are returned for warranty work more often than other more reputable brands.

The other folks that have opinions worth listening to are trainers who see thousands of guns of various types every year and how they perform during their classes when used by a variety of shooters (large sample size). Have talked with several, some occasionally they write articles on this. None that I know of recommend Taurus handguns for serious purposes.

For a plinker, range, or fun gun fine, but I wouldn't trust my life to one unless I had no other choice.

Taurus is not alone in this assessment.

YMMV. :twocents:

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I have probably had 12-15 taurus revolvers over the last 30 yrs and never had a problem with any of them. I actually like them alot.. .most were jframe size 38 or 357's.
    I have 3 currently, two of the 856's in 38 special, and one 942 in .22. They have been fantastic for me.

Top Bottom