• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    ...is there any way to identify a 4 year old thread that is resurrected by a newbie trying to reach 50 posts? I'm glad the info is still here if searched for, and I'm glad newbies are using the search tools. But at least 3 times today, I've opened a thread, just to find out it was a 4 year old question that somebody with less than 50 posts decided to answer. Any way to tag old threads that have been resurrected but no longer relevant? Thanks :ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As far as pure identification, simply look at the timestamp in the upper lefthand corner of each post.

As far as "tagging older threads that are no longer relevant", who decides that? Even if that was possible, such a task would be daunting-- we have over a quarter million threads here. And who's to say that my idea of "irrelevant" isn't different that someone else's?

Now, as far as posts by those under 50, keep in mind that the "fence" is that it is a 'quality post'-- there is no rule against bringing up an old thread. So as long as their addition to the older thread passes our "quality" standard, it's acceptable.

Last edited:

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    I will take the dead thread bumps over the (surprisingly few) worthless question new threads. I'm surprised the forum isn't full of "which caliber is best" threads.

We were all new members at some point and I still have a very low post count for the amount of time I've been here and I admittingly read many posts without commenting and spend alot of time in the Classifieds. But what really concerns me the most is the number of Classified posts from members with the required post count but a join date of Dec 2012. If you click on the posts for those members, you see 15+ posts per day until the Classified Ad was posted then nothing new but bumps to their ads.

Once all the craziness blows over I have a feeling that the numbers of active members will drop. Hopefully not.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I can see both sides of this. Newbie resurrects old thread to ask a question. Newbie is slammed for doing so. Newbie starts new thread to ask the same question. Newbie berated by seasoned member posting "don't you know how to use the forum search feature?" Esrice is correct, how do you determine if a thread needs to be moved to "Archive" status and closed? Guns and ammunition do not reach obsolescence as electronics do for example. A 100 year old firearm can still be in use VS a 25 year old VCR, not likely.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    it always amuses me when nub post counts go down, and they wonder why.

as far as i've noted from people *****ing enough, the mods stay pretty tight on the shenanigans.

Top Bottom