To train or not to train with your carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you subscribe to?

• Total voters

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If at all financially possible, then having at least 1 backup is preferable. Set them up identically. Carry one, train with the other. Shoot the carry gun enough as to gain/build confidence.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    How often do you “train”? “Train” with your carry gun. Another thing to consider, no two guns no matter how identical, are identical POA/POI is generally not going to be the same. Some will not like ammo the other does, etc.

That's exactly correct...no two guns, identical models or not, shoot exactly the same! I have a buddy who has a G-43, as do I, and mine is a 3" tack-driver to POA at 15'! His G-43 is a bit 'wild' when it comes to shot placement...even though we changed up his carry ammo to a lighter round to adapt to the shorter barrel...same distance.
    I've recommended to several individuals, especially with new pistols, to get several boxes of different manufactured, different grains, different configurations such as JHP vs FMJ's, etc. and see which ammo your pistol shoots the best...and then buy that ammo.
    My Ruger Commander 1911 shoots Hornady 200 grain JHP XTP's the best...so whenever I find that particular ammo, I tend to pick up a box or two.
    It's amazing how many individuals have no idea that different brands of ammo can shoot so differently out of different pistols...and are amazed at how well their gun shoots after they find the 'correct' ammo for their particular handgun.
    Handguns are a bit like life...don't just go to the range and 'bang-out-100-rounds', it's an experience that can be learned from every day, take advantage of it and keep learning!

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Train with carry gun, maintain gun fanatically, log round count, replace parts per regular maintenance schedule based upon round count.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I might just reconsider my thoughts on cleaning. This video has some very interesting points...

[video=youtube;cQboSsTAomk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQboSsTAomk[/video]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I carry a different pistol depending on the season. Fall through most of spring I carry a full size high capacity 9mm. When it warms up and I'm wearing lightweight clothes I switch to the Shield 45. I practice with both year round. However, I usually shoot the carry pistol more depending on the one I'm carrying at the time.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    I might just reconsider my thoughts on cleaning. This video has some very interesting points...

[video=youtube;cQboSsTAomk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQboSsTAomk[/video]
    I based my comment upon the contents of this video. I trained with him and trust his judgment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    My main carry gun is a 1911. I have a few of them...have carried most of them at one time or another, and train will all that I carry. I vote shoot your carry gun and carry ammo and do it as often as possible---every week at a minimum.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't think there's a real right or wrong as long as you rotate your carry gun into your training. I think a more compelling reason for having 2 pistols of the same model is that if you have to use it, it starts collecting dust or rust in the evidence room and you'll need to replace it ASAP

Gaterboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2019
    Bloomfield
    I have fired tens of thousands of rounds in my life time and only had one weapon break and that was not really broke but a pin on an AR backed out and I wore out a gas key. The most important thing is to shoot and shoot some more. Be proficient with every weapons platform you have.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like to have a duplicate of my carry gun. Shoot one, carry the other. I hate having a good range day with a carry gun and then needing to do a deep clean before putting the gun back into rotation. With two identical guns, it’s easy to shoot one a bunch while carrying the other.

As a plus, if one ever gets lost to an evidence locker after a good shoot, you can just go home and slip its twin into the holster and carry on with what you know works for you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like to have a duplicate of my carry gun. Shoot one, carry the other. I hate having a good range day with a carry gun and then needing to do a deep clean before putting the gun back into rotation. With two identical guns, it’s easy to shoot one a bunch while carrying the other.

As a plus, if one ever gets lost to an evidence locker after a good shoot, you can just go home and slip its twin into the holster and carry on with what you know works for you.

Yes, and thanks to our good friend Tom, I am now looking for a second 2.0 Compact.:xmad:

That breakfast last week is going to cost me way more than the $14 or so I spent!:):

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I didn't see this thread the first time around! I have multiple of my carry gun and wouldn't mind adding another 1 or 2. However, I put a dot on one of them and it's what I've moved to carrying. So now I am only shooting it proportionally more as the rest are iron. i should probably throw a dot on another but it just makes barrier to entry that much higher. It'll happen eventually I'm just not in a big rush. I'm not to concerned with carrying the current gun dirty after a range trip until I can clean it, and so long as I don't run the round count crazy high without changing out certain springs and things as recommended I don't think a whole lot about it. Even if I have one to train with and one to carry, I still like having that carry pistol broke in with several cases to "smooth things out" per say.

TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    I think you have to train with your carry gun. Police qualify with the gun they are issued or bring to the department (tracked by sn). It doesn’t do much good to train with a gun that’s different than the one you carry.

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    I train and shoot the same gun(s) that I carry. One is significantly lighter but the heavy one carries more cartridges.

Top Bottom