• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I drive by a certain food pantry very often. They provide their services only on certain days of the week. On those days, it is common to see lots of very expensive cars lined up for blocks down the street to take advantage of what they can get for free. I don't say this to discourage anyone from helping. I say this in the hopes of encouraging those that can to help more. Losing resources to those taking advantage is an unfortunate cost of helping those that really need it. If a family that is truly in need, especially if they have children, can benefit from our efforts, isn't it still worth it? Surely a country as wealthy as the great USA can afford some abuse of the system to help the truly needy.

Catching and stopping those abusing the system is very rewarding as well. I just hope it won't stop the efforts towards a good cause. :twocents:

I'm sure there are some that take advantage.

However, there are probably also families that have expensive cars because they signed up for a loan they now can't afford, or they have lost their job. Of course, they should be selling their expensive cars but that's not so easily done if you are upside down. Even if they have made mistakes, the need for food may be very real at that moment.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    There are soooooo many ways one can help out on a local level. I've volunteered with children with disabilities for more than half my life, and it's heartwarming to see that they can thrive with some direct attention from someone who cares. Parents of disabled children have A LOT on their plate just navigating the system to try to get the best for their child, and children without parents can end up in very unfortunate situations if people don't step up. It's easy, and even if you don't have a penny in your pocket, give some time and you'll be put to work.

It's the holiday season. Step outside the comfort zone like Skulldaddy did, and you'll get to feel what it's like to real, actual good.

Good for you and your wife Skulldaddy. Virtual man hug incoming.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Did you hide your scary looking biker's tattoos in order not to scare those poor kids??? :):

You're the kind of person who makes America ('merica **** yeah!) great.:patriot:
    After reading about horrible things in the news (highschool shooting and stuff) it's nice to see that there are badass bikers out there doing good things to restore our faith in humanity.
    Too bad the news wont talk about that.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    SD it's not often that I see a serious post from you that doesn't involved midgets or buttholes.

This was an awesome thing to read. That's an amazing thing for you guys to have done and I'm sure those kids are more grateful than you can imagine. Things like this make the world seem a little less awful and always brighten my day.

Disclaimer** midgets and buttholes are awesome to read about too. But this is a way higher level of awesome.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Midget and buttholes are both necessities! We can't live without either. But those kids melted me. What was sad and broke my heart was the older kids. After a certain age these kids will have to leave. And it saddens me that with all the money being spent on the crap that Washington spends it on. That these kids will most likely end up on the streets. Billions of $$ to illegals, and not a dime to help our own kids. These kids gave me far more then I gave them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Midget and buttholes are both necessities! We can't live without either. But those kids melted me. What was sad and broke my heart was the older kids. After a certain age these kids will have to leave. And it saddens me that with all the money being spent on the crap that Washington spends it on. That these kids will most likely end up on the streets. Billions of $$ to illegals, and not a dime to help our own kids. These kids gave me far more then I gave them.

Wow. So they can't stay there till adult age at least? Are there any other programs for them? I know we have programs in our area for adults with developmental disabilities.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It is getting a bit dusty in here.
    I have no answer to the issues these kids will be facing but I know in my heart they found a new champion today.
    Text me some info please.Mrs. Mouse and my family my put something together if there is time.

Damn dust.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did you hide your scary looking biker's tattoos in order not to scare those poor kids??? :):

You're the kind of person who makes America ('merica **** yeah!) great.:patriot:
    After reading about horrible things in the news (highschool shooting and stuff) it's nice to see that there are badass bikers out there doing good things to restore our faith in humanity.
    Too bad the news wont talk about that.

It does not sell ratings.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    This is one of those times that I wish I could do more than offer you a thank you. You deserve a heart felt handshake ! Can someone close please do that for me!!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Wow. So they can't stay there till adult age at least? Are there any other programs for them? I know we have programs in our area for adults with developmental disabilities.
    My understanding is they are there till they turn 18. Then I believe they try to find jobs and housing for them afterwards. But by what I hear, there's not alot of funds for these children with autism after they become adults. Most will end up homeless, or in institutions.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Some times, we forget that giving a gift or helping out in some fashion (working at a 'soup kitchen' for a day, or whatever) isn't really for those in need, it's really for ourselves. The feeling of satisfaction is huge compared to the small price expended in time and / or dollars.

Thanks for sharing. The memories you created for yourself will pay 'dividends' for the rest of your life. You're a good man, and we can always use another good man in this world.

Merry Christmas!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My understanding is they are there till they turn 18. Then I believe they try to find jobs and housing for them afterwards. But by what I hear, there's not alot of funds for these children with autism after they become adults. Most will end up homeless, or in institutions.

That is really sad. Makes you want to take them all in and adopt them. My husband always accuses me of bringing home all sorts of strays. I wonder if he would notice some kids in the spare room.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am ashamed of myself for not living up to the bar you've set.
    I feel greedy, selfish, and cold hearted for not stepping up and helping out more.
    Thank you for reminding me that I am capable and obliged personally to do for those less fortunate than myself.

Top Bottom