Today's Woot Deal: Patriot Pantry Survival Seed Vault, $14.99. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apparently down from $40. Any thoughts on this?

Patriot Pantry Survival Seed Vault - Woot

Included Seeds:

Blue Lake Bush Bean - over 150 heirloom seeds
    California Wonder Bell Pepper - over 70 heirloom seeds
    Marketmore Cucumber - over 150 heirloom seeds
    Scarlet Nantes Carrot - over 800 heirloom seeds
    Parris Island Cos Romaine Lettuce - over 900 seeds
    Golden Acre Cabbage - over 530 heirloom seeds
    Detroit Dark Red Beet - over 260 heirloom seeds
    Lincoln Shell Sweet Pea - over 100 heirloom seeds
    Black Turtle Bean - over 70 heirloom seeds
    Beefsteak Tomato - over 180 heirloom seeds
    Champion Radish - over 320 heirloom seeds
    Green Sprouting Broccoli - over 500 heirloom seeds
    Waltham Butternut Winter Squash - over 100 seeds
    Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach - over 260 seeds
    Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion - over 145 heirloom seeds
    Golden Bantam Sweet Corn - over 250 heirloom seeds
    Hales Best Cantaloupe - over 70 heirloom seeds
    Snowball Cauliflower - over 285 heirloom seeds
    Black Beauty Zucchini - over 50 heirloom seeds
    Crimson Sweet Watermelon - over 60 heirloom seeds

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hahaha I beat you to it!! Pizza onions haunted me in the middle of the night and I had chug a 7-Up and read the internet before heading back to bed. The thing I like about this offer is the seeds are ALL heirloom seeds...meaning you're getting a potential lifetime supply of seeds for $14.99 plus meager shipping. I ordered a couple of them and won't be planting everything but we really like to stick to non-hybrid varieties. Monsanto hates me for that. I think for the $14.99 it's a nice collection of heirlooms. Kinda disappointed there is only one tomato...would have preferred the Brandywine heirloom over the beefsteak.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think it's a good deal, but remember one thing. Heirloom seeds have value because they are open pollinated varieties. What this means is that those varieties can be perpetuated in a garden by someone who knows how to grow them and who knows how to save seed.

Seed saving is easy for some plants. I started with pumpkins, keeping a few seeds from pumpkins that I grew and planting them the next season. I grew those pumpkins for ten years until the one year that I decided not to grow pumpkins. Beans are the same way, just let some of your green beans dry out and shell them for the next year. Tomatoes are a little harder, since you really need to ferment the seeds for a few days before you wash them out. Then you get into the bi-annuals, like carrots beets, and turnips, where you plant them one spring, let them grow for the summer, then you have to over-winter them and let them sprout again the second spring and they ultimately go to seed that fall. And, that doesn't even mention the fact that, you must allow a certain number of plants to go to seed so that pollination provides sufficient diversity to sustain vigor in your strain. Some plants don't require very many, but with others, unless you allow several dozen to go to seed, you will see your plants losing vigor with each successive season. Do you know how many plants you will have to allow to go to seed for each vegetable that you grow?

If you want to have a vault full of seeds, thats great. But I would hope that you don't wait until SHTF before you learn to grow stuff and learn to save the seed. Because if you don't learn how to save seeds, then growing heirloom varieties is really of no consequence is it?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is a really good deal, but I second the motion of putting into use as soon as possible, not keeping the can of seeds on the shelf like a fire extinguisher with the intent of figuring it out when the SHTF. Might not be bad to have an extra can in case of a crop failure, but not as a first line.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It WAS a very good deal...you can still buy the same product on Amazon but it was $29.99 the last time I looked. I'm glad I got my order in. Ready to start the tomatoes.

Top Bottom