• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Late Merry Christmas Longbow! Hope all is well with you and yours and just wondering, well, you know, huh......oh, and Happy New Year!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Does anyone know how to pull a submersible well pump? That was the only question asked at the morning meeting.

Shaking heads and several no answers confirmed that we did not have anyone who had even observed a deep well pump being pulled and replaced. None of our books in the maintenance library had any pictures or instructions to help us identify what we needed.

Over the last five days, the pump flow had dropped from nine gallons a minute to just about one. Water was not a pressing issue, but the water from the lake still needed to be purified. Well water was easier to treat and drink. Carrie, who is now in charge of logistics, informed us that no pumps were on the inventory logs and no one has any equipment to pull a well.

Most of the homes have wells in the area, but the depth and condition of the pumps were unknown and without the right equipment, they were out of reach. So until we find a new pump, we are stuck with a well that flows one gallon a minute.

Four groups headed out to the burned out or abandoned homes to locate the any well casings and see what else they could discover. No one had much hope they would find anything that would help us out in the near future. Most likely some other group in the State would have the equipment and we would trade them for the gear and services.

Up at the rock quarry, several of the lathes and milling machines were being used to repair or modify some old car parts. We need to repair the cars and trucks that have been sitting around for too long without fuel. The first few runs to relocate holes, build some new brackets and change some shaft sizes on parts has allowed us to get three more vehicles running. Every job is a custom hand fit job, but everyone is learning. Alternators have been the easiest to change with starter motors taking much more time. The push has been to work on the vehicles with diesel engines. Those are less complicated and diesel fuel is much safer to work with. New cars and trucks are also on the top of the list, since they are in better shape and should not break down as soon as the older vehicles.

My wife walked over to me and took my hand to go on late morning walk. With her other hand, she gave me my rifle and we strolled down the potholed county road. Our walk took us to the home of one of the stranger characters before the disaster. Several had said, he was a sex offender, but none of those records exist to check. What we discovered while poking around was the basement that was flooded the last time we were at his place, is now empty of water. We had to take a look.

The normal smells and trash filled the basement, but what stood out was a heavy metal door on one of the basement walls. The door reminded me of a ships door I had seen in some of the navy books I had in the loft. The handles were rusty but the two of us were able to forcibly rotate them. With a four foot iron pipe we found on the floor, I was able to force the door open to see what special things were on the other side. Past the door was a stairway that leads up into the hill that the house was built up against. With both our flashlights on we walked into the long narrow room that had three levels of tables and what looked like growing lights hanging from the ceiling. To the side were filled boxes of growing light bulbs and extra light fixtures. We had discovered a pot growing site built into the hill. Farther into the room we found about a dozen gallon bags of pot, jars of seeds, a scale and a metal box filled with cash. Deeper into the room, we found a opening into the exposed rock.

In the cave were several cots with trash and other items littering the floor. The cave was bigger than our dimming flashlights could explore. What was left of three bodies were on the floor and one of the cots. The room did not smell of death, and remains looked like many we have found that have been laying around for a year or more. The bugs got them, with the tell tale dark stains on the floor around them, but no larger animals were able to tear the body apart and spread it around. Everything of use to use was either broken, used up or rusting away in this room. It looked like they were trapped when the basement flooded and they had no other way out. They either froze or starved to death. My wife’s guess was they starved to death, and she is pretty good at making those calls. We did not find any unopened food during our search and that confirmed how they died.

The flashlights were getting very dim and that was the cue to leave. Everything was left in the room and we walked back home. Our talk shifted to the use of the growing lights for winter growing of food and how to dispose of the pot. Neither of us liked knowing that drug was in the room, but it could come in use for some future illness or making hemp ropes. I also said when the cave is cleaned out; it might be of use in many other ways. It looked like the biggest cave we have discovered in the area. But first, we need to dig a new entrance into it so our people will not get trapped in a flood or collapse.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Hi,

Things are crazy on my end, but I'm hoping to have something you can order on Amazon this summer (two years late) ..........it all depends on how much time my wife needs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bump. :)

Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Steve shouted to come in and look at the TV. Fox was reporting the new super volcano that exploded a few days ago on the western side of Australia erupted again with tremendous force. They were showing an image taken from the space station showing the plume reaching the edge of space and debris falling back to earth. The earthquake we felt was the ground shock from that explosion. I turned on the dish earth channel and in the lower left of the image you could see a orange red spot and the distinct glowing plume that matched what the space station took. The plume was visible from 22,500 miles up.

The image refreshed, and a new glowing spot about three times larger was about an inch and a half or so above the first plume. Another 15 seconds and the spot was about the same color. Looking at the globe, this spot was closer to the equator and look like it was well past the horizon of this image. Another refreshed image and it didn’t change in size or color.

Fox news broke in again and said another eruption near Indonesia has been detected and it is massive! Data shows the eruption area is near Krakatoa and readings are off the charts. I stared at my wife and said, the second eruption we saw is thousands of miles past the horizon and we are seeing the top of its plume.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html

https://news.vice.com/story/volcanoes-are-erupting-across-the-pacific-ring-of-fire

Didn't realize this thread had been in stasis for so long. Longbow, I know you've had more on your plate than any one person deserves, but if this writing offers any sort of respite for you, many of us would love for you to indulge in it. :)

Top Bottom