• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Melensdad said:
    LINK TO BAK INDUSTRIES Revolver rolling covers ==> https://bakindustries.com
    This! I dont have one of these because I didn't want to spend the money but these are very nice covers. Tuxedo also has a version like the revolver x. One day I will get one.

I currently have a cheap tuxedo cover. Think I paid 230ish on Amazon. It's not the best but keeps the bed pretty dry and stuff out of sight for people walking by.

One thing that I may have missed in the thread but I don't know if the original poster is looking for a SECURITY cover. As for the Truxedo rolling security cover, when I looked at them they used Velcro along the side rails, so really not all that secure. The BAK Revolver covers physically are locked down the entire length of the side rails.

The BAK Revolver and BAK tri-folds are SECURITY covers that not only hide, but protect. Of course you pay for the armor and security. I think the Truxedo was only about $50 cheaper than the BAK Revolver when I was pricing them for my truck. Seemed like an easy decision to pay the extra $50 to eliminate the velcro sides and get a higher level of security.

I have a tri fold. Have for about 2 years. I love it. Easy to use and keeps things dry.

I priced around auto parts stores and bought it at rockauto.com and was about $200 cheaper shipped..
    Most people I know have tri-fold covers of some type. Some are soft covers that simply hide but provide no security. Some are rigid plates of composite, aluminum, etc that provide a true locking compartment with security.

Not all 'covers' are the same either. If only looking for a cover, I would personally avoid anything with "snaps" and look for "Velcro" instead because the snaps are a PITA to use. Some have a way to lock the cover down, and even if not a true security cover, at least some do have simple locks that can only be opened after the tailgate has been dropped. Its better than no security.

Some of the soft tri folds have cross braces that require tensioning or come loose that don't fold as easily as some others. Some others have secured & tensioned braces, and even though they are soft, they form easy to fold panels.

As with everything, you pretty much get what you pay for, and some features may be worth paying for, others, depending upon your needs, may not be worth the cost.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've had the Truxedos on the last two trucks, and as long as they continue to make them, I'll continue to buy them. It gives me the option to use the full length of the bed, with out removing it. It's just a matter of your preference.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have a BAK Revolver roll up cover and love it.

Waterproof, armored, secure locking along the entire length of the side rails, simple to use. 6’ model cost me $775.

Looks like a vinyl cover but it has heavy duty interlocking aluminum slats for security, locking cams every 2” along the side rails, and rolled up it does not block the view out the rear. Honest takes 60 seconds from locked to completely open and ready to drive. Less than 60 seconds to reseal from open. You can unlock it from either side and because it’s a rigid rolling cover you simply roll it from either side, or even push it back from the center (but you won’t get it all the way open because you can’t reach far enough to completely roll it open. Simple enough for my wife to use without complaint:)

Very secure, it would be easier to break the tailgate lock than to go through this cover. No Velcro than can be pried up along the sides like other brands to give false security.

Took me about 30 min to install myself.

You can add an optional under cover tool box from BAK that folds out of the way when you need full access to the bed, the bed cover acts as the tool box cover too.

Sits flush with the bed rails instead of on top of the rails for the lowest profile of any top I’ve seen.

If you prefer a Tri-Fold then look at BAK for their folding tops. Same aluminum backed security as their Revolver covers with your choice of 2 different vinyl covers.

FWIW, any of the rolling or folding covers have issues in the winter with snow. Snow must be removed. Not a real big deal for me because mine is parked in the garage year around, but any brand of roller or folder needs the snow cleaned off.

LINK TO BAK INDUSTRIES Revolver rolling covers ==> https://bakindustries.com

I have the BAK Revolver on my truck as well. I think it's the best roll up on the market. I can stand on the top(along the edges) with no damage. I believe it is rated to hold 400 lbs spread out over the entire cover.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone for taking the time to chime in.

I did a little shopping over the weekend at a place that installs caps, hitches, tonneaus, and other truck and camping accessories. Name of the place is Toppers and More, they're in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

They had several on display, including BAK and Extang brands, and a few others. I debated between the BAK and the Retrax.
    I ended up ordering the Retrax, very similar to the BAK revolver but without the vinyl appearance, just a matter of cosmetics but otherwise very similar in quality. Strong, secure, nice looking. Easy to operate.

I'm scheduled for a Thursday installation. Will take some pics when it's done and post a few.

I have bed rails installed on the truck now. I'm going to take them off and list them in the classifieds. Retrax makes an optional side rail for their tonneau cover with cutouts for bed rails, but I think the new tonneau would look nicer without the bed rails, just thinking it might look too busy with the bed rails and the tonneau. And will probably be easier to sell the tonneau in the future without the stake pocket cutouts.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Here's what the new Retrax Pro-MX looks like installed:

20180612_174710_zpsqkdjqfq0.jpg

20180612_174800_zpsurbuhuqe.jpg

20180612_205122_zpsk0dbqnbx.jpg

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    It will be interesting to hear your feedback after you have had the rollup model for awhile. I looked at those too.

We we ended up buying a colormatched Undercover Elite LX model. I liked the fact that the ABS plastic is less than 1/2 the weight of fiberglass. It has quick release hinges so that it can be lifted off easily by a pair of people (60lbs I believe). It came with hooks to hang it in the garage. Also came carpeted underneath and has built in LED lighting.

Mans another cool feature is the fact that it keys direct to your ignition key. Very happy so far.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here's what the new Retrax Pro-MX looks like installed:

Its a nice clean install. But that is expected from any of the premium covers.

I looked at those too.

The one thing I was concerned with was losing bed space as the top rolls into the rear portion of the bed as its opened. The was the main reason I opted for the BAK Revolver as it rolls onto the top and leaves me with the full bed capacity. But I can certainly understand the attraction to the system you chose too.

Hope it does everything you need it to do.

Curious to hear your snow/ice issues during the winter.

I also wonder how it works with the ice and snow.

That is the bane of hard roll up covers. Mine is parked in a garage so its a minimal concern for me. But any hard roll up covers that lock or slide in tracks has issues with freezing when snow melts into the tracks and then it re-freezes into ice.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I also wonder how it works with the ice and snow.

Its a nice clean install. But that is expected from any of the premium covers.

I looked at those too.

The one thing I was concerned with was losing bed space as the top rolls into the rear portion of the bed as its opened. The was the main reason I opted for the BAK Revolver as it rolls onto the top and leaves me with the full bed capacity. But I can certainly understand the attraction to the system you chose too.

Hope it does everything you need it to do.

Curious to hear your snow/ice issues during the winter.

That is the bane of hard roll up covers. Mine is parked in a garage so its a minimal concern for me. But any hard roll up covers that lock or slide in tracks has issues with freezing when snow melts into the tracks and then it re-freezes into ice.

I'm hoping that the days when freezing is a concern will be few. Will have to see how it goes when winter gets here. The truck spends the nights in the garage, at least when I'm at home, so hopefully that will help. My main use of the bed during the cold months is for deer hunting, for that I would typically leave the cover open. I've given it some thought, but I'm sure, like anything else, won't actually know how it works out until it actually happens.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm hoping that the days when freezing is a concern will be few. Will have to see how it goes when winter gets here. The truck spends the nights in the garage, at least when I'm at home, so hopefully that will help. My main use of the bed during the cold months is for deer hunting, for that I would typically leave the cover open. I've given it some thought, but I'm sure, like anything else, won't actually know how it works out until it actually happens.

If your garage is anything like mine then it will rarely freeze solid overnight. But it probably won't thaw if it is already frozen solid during the day.

Thawing and re-freezing will be your enemy. Doubly so because your track system is designed to drain through the roller system. But if you watch the weather and know you will need the bed open, just open it in advance of freezing rain/snow when you park it overnight in the garage. The next day it will already be open and you won't have to worry about it freezing closed during freezing rain/snow.

I'm going to be curious if the "roll inside" type of armored cover is more/less problematic in freezing ice/snow than the "roll on top" type of armored cover.

As both you and & both park our trucks inside, neither of us will face most of the well documented problems faced by people who park their trucks outside in heavy snow areas.

Top Bottom