• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    There are basically three ways to cause trauma to the human body: burning, cutting, and crushing. There are basically two types of weapons, edged and impact. Even a bullet is a hybrid that goes really fast. The reason for this article is to talk about the bull**** and fairy dust about knife fighting. If you thought that some people were not very happy with my comments about firearms training, you have not seen anything yet.

First of all, I never want my name associated with “knife fighting”, as it conjures up a vision of two guys with bowie knives dancing around trading cuts and stabs. I think the notion is immature and silly.

A long time ago, when I decided I wanted to immerse myself in edged weapon training since it was the weapon I feared the most, I found there were basically two options. First a cultural martial art, or the seminar route learning from people who usually had various martial arts backgrounds, but decided to repackage it and sell it their way.

Cultural martial arts- this is where I started, mostly Tanto Jitsu, then I dug real deep into the OSS Applegate and Fairbairn type stuff. Then, some of the FMA stuff. The problem was that the military type stuff was based on battlefield rules, therefore not requiring you to justify your actions. The FMA took a long time before having any idea about which end was up.

Seminar route- in about 2001 I had to choose a career goal for my police department, and jokingly submitted that I wanted to become an expert in “edged weapons” for law enforcement. Much to my surprise they actually accepted it and began to send me to some very cool classes, many of them with names anyone in the edged weapon community would immediately recognize. I had a good time meeting and playing with these people.

The problem was that every time I was shown something I asked myself whether or not I thought that I could pull it off under the type of stress I often found myself in, and secondly could I teach it to other officers in a short amount of time to the point where they had confidence in it, and I had confidence in them doing it. I found little that passed that test.
    I basically found the same thing in the knife world that I found in the gun world; people who loved their specialized toys and were making grandiose plans to get their toys into fights, even where they may not be the best option.

You may have read before that when it comes to any tool I break it down to Selections, Carry, Deployment, and Use. In the knife world, much time is spent on the selection, the perfect knife, with the perfect lock, the perfect blade profile, plain edge or serration, and so on. A little time was spent on carry options. But the one thing that nobody seemed interested in teaching was the deployment. Most of the training started with the perfect knife in your hand. Learning how to use the knife got a lot of attention too. Most of it teaching the student to trade intentionally targeted cuts and stabs. This was usually done with the knife being the focus. Nobody was teaching that if you were cutting or stabbing someone who was trying to kill you that it is perfectly OK to bash their head into that wall at the same time.

We have all heard that you need to know how to use a knife to defend against it. I say bull****. What exactly does that mean; know how to use a knife? When I picture myself having to defend against an edged weapon attack, it is not against the skilled FMA practitioner, but rather the guy who will attack in a cyclic manner like a guy who in prison who is not motivated to take anything from you except for your life.

That meant that my love of cultural martial arts was going to have to take a back seat to understanding psychology, anatomy, and physiology. It also meant that I needed to know more about how these attacks happened. Here is what I found.

Most people who are cut or stabbed never knew it until afterward; they thought they were being punched. So, training that was predicated by seeing the weapon would fail at the most basic level.

Talking to my buddies in corrections and on the street, and looking at my personal toy collection from the street, showed that the average size of an edged weapon used by a bad guy in or out of prison was around 3 inches, or about a third the size of the size of most training knives.

Edged weapons are contact distance weapons, so the person has to be able to touch you with it to harm you. That means you need to be at contact distance to defend.

If you do not see the weapon before the attack, why would you have your own knife out? And if you both have your knife out at contact distance, isn’t the most likely outcome a mutual slaying?

I arrived at the conclusion that about 95% of edged weapon training needs to be open hand combatives vs a spontaneously deployed small weapon. Here is the gist-
    ·

Move to the outside when you can
    ·

Control the weapon arm (preferably fully extended)
    ·

Smash them into the ground or wall
    ·

Strikes to the head, especially the sides and rear

Train doing this against furtive movement and gradual increase of violence and change of conditions. The knife they don’t get out is the knife that will not hurt you.

Since I have been teaching this, I have to point out that the “if you are a knife fight you will get cut” mantra is more bull****. That is like saying if you are in a car accident you will get hurt. How the hell do you know?

In order use a knife for self-defense, you would first need to be in a position to do so, that means that you would have to be within arm’s reach of someone who is trying to kill you. It also means that you will have to deploy your weapon against them, and if you are, there is a good chance that they have a weapon you can see as well. If sage wisdom says you will lose if trying to draw a gun against a gun that is already drawn, you will lose; then how do you think drawing a knife against a deployed knife will work out for you.
    I
    n spite of so many experts on the internet that are quick to tell you exactly what they would do in a situation, I think very few people have the stones to stab someone in self-defense. And if you think you do, and have a loved one in your life carrying a blade, do you think they would?
    I believe that the average person is way more willing and likely to cut/slash to get someone off of them. This is a naturally defensive move, like swatting bees away from your face. The problem is that as you are defending you are usually going to be moving back or falling to the ground. As you go backwards, your hands go out to the sides in attempt to regain balance. This is called the Moro response. These wild attacks to the outside of your attacker’s limbs and across their chest are going to be superficial. That is why the only thing I teach for “defensive” use of the knife is Inverted Edge Tactics. It works for everyone, with no more motivation than trying to get away from the threat in every position, including the ground and sitting down. You do not need to invest in a special knife. But as previously mentioned, you need to learn to get it out under stress. Something besides someone trying to cut or stab you. I prefer headgear and boxing gloves. Just plain cardio exertion, or someone cutting you with a training knife, is not enough. You need the physical violence.

Because of the reasons listed above I will continue to personally train in traditional edged weapons training, as I do in fundamental marksmanship skills, but when putting together classes to teach other people edged weapon survival without knowing their background or amount of time to training I will teach Spontaneous Attack Suppression and Inverted Edge Tactics. They are intended to give the student the alphabet, the longer classes allow them to work on sentences, then at subsequent classes or on their own they can work on paragraphs and essays. None of which is possible without the alphabet which does not care about peoples feelings.- George

benkrebs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Great addition to part one, I like how you broke it down between guns and knives. One thing in this post I totally agree with, when are you going to find yourself in a West Side Story knife fight? The scenario you described seems 10x more plausible than anything EVER portrayed in the media/pop culture.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Don't think I am nitpicking George, because I like most of that. I do have a problem with this line though.

" Most people who are cut or stabbed never knew it until afterward; they thought they were being punched. So, training that was predicated by seeing the weapon would fail at the most basic level."

Do we have anything more than conjecture to back this up. It is sorta like the saw about, "Most fights will go to the ground." Sounds good if you a MMA or BJJ supporter.

Most knife attacks I have been a witness to, or a witness to the immediate aftermath of, were while I worked at the prison. IIRC, all of these people knew they had been cut. Granted, in that enviroment, you are fearing and/or expecting that type of attack, which may have something to do with it.

It might make more sense to believe that a stab would feel like a punch, then a slash. I cut myself a lot and never mistake it for anything but what it is.

btw. Definitely agree about the access issue. This is why I use a fixed blade as my go to knife. Still not a guarantee of access, but one step closer.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is past tense. His post is written in the present and future tense.

What the hell are you talking about. The tense of this doesn't matter. I am talking about first hand info from my past. I am asking George if what we always hear about people claiming to not know they were cut has any basis in fact. As he has studied this a lot, he might know if this is just one more thing that gets spread around as if it is true, or if he KNOWS this to be the case. What tense he writes his article in doesn't concern me in the least.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    What the hell are you talking about. The tense of this doesn't matter. I am talking about first hand info from my past. I am asking George if what we always hear about people claiming to not know they were cut has any basis in fact. As he has studied this a lot, he might know if this is just one more thing that gets spread around as if it is true, or if he KNOWS this to be the case. What tense he writes his article in doesn't concern me in the least.

His point is that the people didn't know until after the fight that they were cut and didn't see the knife cutting.

Of course you know after the fact that you've been cut when you're bleeding all over the floor. That's not much of a realization.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think he is talking about in the "heat of the battle", people dont know that they were cut/stabbed. The level of adrenaline present will mask a lot of pain until things settle down, THEN you notice the wound.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I have interviewed several people who have reported this. The folks in the last class got to see a picture of an officers I used to work with who got stabbed up in the leg, one stab hit the femoral. He reported to me that he thought he was being punched.

Another gentleman on another forum sent me pictures of his slashed back, and did not report that he thought he was being punched but also had no idea he was being slashed. It was all just a blur.

And because of gravity all fights do go to the ground.....even if it is just because of gravity:) The truth is that many fights go to the ground but that does not mean they are a ground fight. The idea is not to be the one on the ground. We teach a block on using vertical surfaces to stay on your feel. All the weapon we carry are best used on our feet. Although Inverted Edge Tactics excels on this level.- George

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Don't think I am nitpicking George, because I like most of that. I do have a problem with this line though.

" Most people who are cut or stabbed never knew it until afterward; they thought they were being punched. So, training that was predicated by seeing the weapon would fail at the most basic level."

Do we have anything more than conjecture to back this up. It is sorta like the saw about, "Most fights will go to the ground." Sounds good if you a MMA or BJJ supporter.

Most knife attacks I have been a witness to, or a witness to the immediate aftermath of, were while I worked at the prison. IIRC, all of these people knew they had been cut. Granted, in that enviroment, you are fearing and/or expecting that type of attack, which may have something to do with it.

It might make more sense to believe that a stab would feel like a punch, then a slash. I cut myself a lot and never mistake it for anything but what it is.

btw. Definitely agree about the access issue. This is why I use a fixed blade as my go to knife. Still not a guarantee of access, but one step closer.

I worked for several years on a hog farm using scalpels, my brother worked for several years in a meat packing plant, and we agree, that most of the time when we were cut, we didn't realize it until we saw the blood. Granted the knives we were using were extreamly sharp, but neither of us can remember a time when the knife going through flesh caused a memorable amount of pain. Genenerally it was the observation of the knife blade diappearing into flesh that brought on the thought of dang it, i'll bet this is going to hurt and bleed a lot, which it usually did, but not while the cut was actually taking place. :twocents:

:popcorn:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for the reply George. I have heard this many times, but have never quite known if it was one of this things that keeps getting repeated without any basis in fact. As I said, in my somewhat limited experience with violent, sometimes fatal knifings (6-8?), the guys knew they were being cut/stabbed. In prison though (max), that shank is probably always in the back of your mind, that mental picture ahead of time could be the variance from what we often hear about not knowing you were stabbed. I for one won't be volunteering to be stabbed in the kidney by surprise to see if it feels like a punch.:)

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    When we use the stun gun in training the first few times people face it they hesitate/freeze, I think this would also be true with edged weapons in real life. We do a lot of work with "flipping the switch" beginning a violent counter attack against furtive movement. You get real good at reading and reacting the preparatory movements of an attack.

BTW... looks like I am coming back to Indy:)

OH, and about the scalpel, I am terrified of getting sliced with a razor, probably because I have seen it so many times, a box cutter is such a common weapon, and the most probable attack is a high line slash (cousin to the roundhouse punch) and happens all the time.

Right after I got out of the Army I did security for a while for a hospital in Baltimore. DOC brought in an inmate who suffered one razor slash. It went all the way across his face and his lips were hanging off. Not even close to life threatening but it scared me to death, and still does.- George

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010

One thing to think about; an inmate's biggest fear is probably that of being stabbed to death. That is the type of attack they expect in prison, because other than our natural weapons (fists/feet/elbows/knees/teeth/etc), a shank is the most common type of deadly weapon in the prison.

Upon being attacked, an inmate is probably going to naturally assume he is being stabbed, rather than punched, because he is already subconsciously anticipating this to happen any time he is attacked.

Your average Joe on the street doesn't think in terms of deadly confrontation because he presumes he isn't surrounded by hardened criminals and killers on a daily basis. When he is attacked, of course he will think he's being punched, because in his little world, people are mostly nice and wouldn't try to use deadly force, because "that's just crazy". Even in the case of a police officer, average people aren't dumb, crazy, or desperate enough to put their hands on a cop, let alone stab them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    One thing to think about; an inmate's biggest fear is probably that of being stabbed to death. That is the type of attack they expect in prison, because other than our natural weapons (fists/feet/elbows/knees/teeth/etc), a shank is the most common type of deadly weapon in the prison.

Upon being attacked, an inmate is probably going to naturally assume he is being stabbed, rather than punched, because he is already subconsciously anticipating this to happen any time he is attacked.

Your average Joe on the street doesn't think in terms of deadly confrontation because he presumes he isn't surrounded by hardened criminals and killers on a daily basis. When he is attacked, of course he will think he's being punched, because in his little world, people are mostly nice and wouldn't try to use deadly force, because "that's just crazy". Even in the case of a police officer, average people aren't dumb, crazy, or desperate enough to put their hands on a cop, let alone stab them.

I agree that your surmision is a likely one, which is why I said that here.

" In prison though (max), that shank is probably always in the back of your mind, that mental picture ahead of time could be the variance from what we often hear about not knowing you were stabbed. "

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Mike, I myself have talked first hand to three people who have been stabbed in various types of fights and all three made the exact same statement about thinking they were being punched. Not just saying this to back up George, but it's another data point. Never been through it myself (luckily). The summary above seems logical to me as well. If you don't physically see the draw of the weapon you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a hard punch to the ribs or a stab in the ribs until you lost enough blood or a lung starts to deflate, or another physiological process started to slow you down. Adrenaline can do amazing things.

I've drawn my clinch pick style trainer a few times to "stab" people and they didn't realize it wasn't my hand hitting them in the ribs / back. Something like the folder deployment George teaches probably would have a harder time pulling off a hidden draw and if they saw the blade deployed I would assume two things happen...

1) The soon-to-be stabee would become weapon fixated to avoid the blade entering his body.
    2) Would assume any impact to be a cut.

Top Bottom