• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Over the past 50 years Americans have ramped up their usage of antibiotics. I read that the average person may take antibiotics as many as 70 times in their lifetime. Antibiotics have proven their benefits, but we must not ignore the consequences of using them either. This overuse of antibiotics is causing unforeseen damage to our bodies and is causing super-strains of bacteria to evolve.
    When antibiotics are applicable (Mayo Clinic)

Bacterial Infections (possibly consider using antibiotics)
    • Some ear infections
    • Severe sinus infections
    • Strep throat
    • Urinary tract infections
    • Many wound and skin infections
    Viral Infections (antibiotics cannot help)

• Most ear infections
    • Colds
    • Influenza (flu)
    • Most coughs
    • Most sore throats
    • Bronchitis
    • Stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis)

Dan Rather reported
    that more people die from these new, antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria than die of AIDS, car accidents, and prostate cancer combined -- more than 90,000 Americans per year.

Antibiotics also cause bacterial resistance, intestinal flora imbalance, and yeast infections. Overuse is quite harmful to the female urinary tract and also nullifies her use of birth control pills for up to one month.

If you aren't getting overloaded with antibiotics prescribed to you by your doctor, you can get plenty from all that mass-produced meat you probably consume. Commercial farmers put antibiotics in all their livestock, regardless if they are sick or not. 70% of antibiotics used in America go into the farming industry.

Norway uses 1/3 the antibiotics than America does per capita, and has the lowest rate of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the industrialized world.

Cancers may be springing up due to this over use of antibiotics as well. A JAMA study concluded that women who took excess antibiotics had twice the risk for Breast Cancer as did women who did not take antibiotics.

Antibiotics wipe out all the bacteria in your body -- good and bad. The trouble is that your body needs certain bacteria to digest food and live a healthy life. If you absolutely have to take antibiotics, replenish the beneficial bacteria in your body by taking probiotics during and after the course of your antibiotic treatment.

Having been medicated plenty of times in my lifetime, a doctor has never once told me about the downsides of antibiotics or about replenishing my body with probiotics.

Dr Mark Porter: Don't ask for antibiotics

Are We Taking Too Many Antibiotics

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Too much of YOU harms my health! :D :D Just kidding...

This is another article that you have posted that I agree with fully. It is beyond comprehension for minor scrapes or health issues that people want to pump everyone full of antibiotics. "Hey, let's create a superbug, it will be fun!" Yuck... We might as well weaponize viruses and bacteria and spray our neighborhoods with them. Not to mention they end up in our food and water supply!

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I have talked to doctors about this and many tell me that most patients want something, even if it will not help them. Tell them to rest and get plenty of water? Nope, they want a pill to take! Every year when my class writes research papers, I try to steer some students into researching the overuse of antibiotics. Antibiotic resistent bacteria could be the biggest health issue facing us very, very soon. (And yes, even scarier than obamacare!)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Too much of YOU harms my health! :D :D Just kidding...

Haha! Its as if INGO has a Rambone infection that has become immune to antibiotics and vaccines. ;)

I have talked to doctors about this and many tell me that most patients want something, even if it will not help them. Tell them to rest and get plenty of water? Nope, they want a pill to take!

This is what I have read as well -- medicating for the sake of medicating. I think this is an outright immoral practice if you ask me. Hell, if the patient wants to walk out of the office with a pill to take, the doctor should tell them to go buy some Vitamin C & Vitamin D3. Why don't they do that? Probably the same reason I don't see vitamins in their drug magazines in the waiting room.

I currently take around 8 vitamin supplements daily. The couple I mentioned above are big boosters of the immune system and can help your body fight off illness on its own. Several of my relatives got very sick over Christmas & I was exposed to them for several days. They had sore throat, coughing, fever, chills, aches, etc. It seemed to last between 3-7 days. I know for a fact I "caught" whatever they had, but all I felt was a slight tickle in my throat for <24 hrs, and after that I was back to 100%. A healthy immune system is the best immunity.

Aside from the supplements I eat mainly fresh fruits & organic products, drink tea every day, and exercise. Real preventative medicine lies in healthy habits, not some miracle injection.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    And this is why I only use instant hand sanitizer if nothing else is available. I don't even buy anti bacterial soap anymore in fear of getting a serious infection from my body being use to those antibiotics/bacterials.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    images

"Not this :poop: again"...

:):

images

Carry on.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    OP...you do realize you're using the Huffington Post as a source...right?

Dude...the Huffington Post???? What's their stance on gun control?

Oh no...allow me:

Americans Favor Semi-Automatic Weapons Ban, Wary Of 'Gun Control'

Josh Sugarmann: Only a 'Madman' Would Oppose All Gun Control, Says Gun World Editor

Huffington Post is almost as anti-gun as the Fraternal Order of Police. Truth be told, Dan Rather doesn't even work for Huffington Post. He hit the nail on the head with his report on antibiotics though.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Truth be told, Dan Rather doesn't even work for Huffington Post.
    Apparently you didn't research his liberal views on gun control either.

While I don't disagree that antibiotics are over used...I'd pick more credible references in the future. :twocents:

"I know, as the gun lobbyists keep reminding us, guns do not kill people. People kill people. But with a gun it is a whole lot quicker."
    --Dan Rather

http://www.ratherbiased.com/guns.htm#danShotgun

Catch ya next thread. ;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Apparently you didn't research his liberal views on gun control either.

While I don't disagree that antibiotics are over used...I'd pick more credible references in the future. :twocents:

"I know, as the gun lobbyists keep reminding us, guns do not kill people. People kill people. But with a gun it is a whole lot quicker."
    --Dan Rather

http://www.ratherbiased.com/guns.htm#danShotgun

Catch ya next thread. ;)
    So what does a person's thoughts on guns have to do with the article he posted? Are you implying that a person that holds the opinion that guns are bad cannot hold a valid opinion, or an educated stance on a completely different topic?

:dunno:

BTW, anti-biotics are overused IMHO. I discovered that this week. My wife and I both have strep throat. My wife has enough amoxicillin leftover from various prescriptions over the last year or so that neither of us needed to fill our prescription for it. We've been taking all her leftovers. She had 4 different prescriptions for it, and none of them were more than half used.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    So what does a person's thoughts on guns have to do with the article he posted? Are you implying that a person that holds the opinion that guns are bad cannot hold a valid opinion, or an educated stance on a completely different topic?
    Absolutely not. I just think there are more credible sources than Dan Rather and the Huffington Post.

BTW, anti-biotics are overused IMHO. I discovered that this week. My wife and I both have strep throat. My wife has enough amoxicillin leftover from various prescriptions over the last year or so that neither of us needed to fill our prescription for it. We've been taking all her leftovers. She had 4 different prescriptions for it, and none of them were more than half used.
    You do know you're supposed to take the entire prescription...right?

Nothing. Best way to discredit the information is to attack the messenger.
    Not at all. As I stated, I agree that antibiotics are over prescribed and the over use leads to antibiotic resistant strains.

I'm old school. Rub some dirt on it Johnny. :):

I just think that finding better sources of information would lend more credibility to the cause. :twocents:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Nope. My wife is a fan of the probiotics route. I told her, expecting to gross her out. She thought from a clinical standpoint it was a great idea for those so afflicted.

I told her she was full of... er, nothing.

Top Bottom