• ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I'm really pissed...I think I need to move.:xmad:
    Looks like more Beech Grove residents want to pay higher taxes than the rest of the state...are they idiots?

What I don't get is how and why they were able to campaign on public and school property to push the vote...There were signs hanging on the fences on school property. They even had a school bus with a huge banner parked in front of one of the polling centers.

Where did all of the funding come from for all of this and why were they allowed to use public school property to advertise their campaign?

Votes on city's school measures is mixed | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    what are the pros and cons TODAY for BG not joining unigov?
    I like BG from what I see, on the outskirts, that is.
    But as I recall, Wal-Mart took up about the last realistic bit of develop-able land, from a tax-base purpose. So, from here on out BG must live within its means, I'd say.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, when that fema camp opens it will employ thousands. Tax problem will seem negated by the weirdness of it all.

All seriousness aside: There isn't even a beech there. What a gyp.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How much of the new taxes are going to fund sports facilities and equipment? I'd venture to guess a very large portion of it.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    How much of the new taxes are going to fund sports facilities and equipment? I'd venture to guess a very large portion of it.

I'm sure it is true...What gets me is the mailer I got from this campaign indicated that if this did not pass, they would have to cut bus routes due to lack of funds. I don't understand why they place their sports programs as a priority over busing.:dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The bus routes are the hot button issue. Remember any campaign, political, school tax or otherwise works best when "they" present the worst case scenario if you don't fall in line with the rest of the sheep. I was surprised the Wishard thing passed so handily. It seems that the more "they" say there won't be any new taxes if an issue passes, the more likely it will be that your taxes go up. The politicians, school districts and other taxing authorities have had the run of the candy counter for too long. They aren't going to let a little thing like property tax caps get in the way of their out of control spending. They'll just have to get a little more creative and outrageous in their claims of the evil that will befall us if we don't allow them to dig even further into our pockets!!!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    For the record:

The three-year property tax average from 2007-2009 for a home valued at $100,000 is $1,244. The property tax on a home at this value dropped in
    2008 and will increase a small amount in 2009. If the referendum is approved, the annual property tax will still drop by over $50 in 2010 and
    remain constant from that point forward at an average of $1,120 for the next seven years on a home valued at $100,000.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Fight the tax hike tooth & nail! Post signs, fliers, stickers. Run ads in the paper, craigslist. Talk to your fellow INGOers. It can be stopped.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    For the record:
    The three-year property tax average from 2007-2009 for a home valued at $100,000 is $1,244. The property tax on a home at this value dropped in
    2008 and will increase a small amount in 2009. If the referendum is approved, the annual property tax will still drop by over $50 in 2010 and
    remain constant from that point forward at an average of $1,120 for the next seven years on a home valued at $100,000.

Well, those numbers came from those pushing for it, so naturally they want to paint it in their favor...

My home is valued at $160,000 and my annual taxes in '08 were $3,030. Obviously they didn't use house values and taxes that did not help push their propaganda. Why the heck would I not want to lower my burden on such ridiculous tax rape? I would have to be an idiot to do so, and that is why I made the statement as I did. Only idiots would want to pay more taxes than they would otherwise not need to. It is absolutely ridiculous.
    I think it is total bullcrap that the state puts out a tax cap and some local bureaucrats call for a referendum to go against the state and cause those that don't want the tax increase to pay it anyway.
    I say that if you want to give the school money, give them some money, but don't force others who want to follow the rest of the state to pay the stupid crap.

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Just curious where are there $160,000 houses in Beech Grove? You guys are very similar to Speedway where I live, except that we don't have a FEMA camp in our back yard :rolleyes: we don't have buses, and we have some of the lowest property taxes in the state. For example, my $120,000 house has a tax bill of just over $400 a year.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Just curious where are there $160,000 houses in Beech Grove? You guys are very similar to Speedway where I live, except that we don't have a FEMA camp in our back yard :rolleyes: we don't have buses, and we have some of the lowest property taxes in the state. For example, my $120,000 house has a tax bill of just over $400 a year.
    There are actually a few housing editions in BG that are higher value than the little shanties in which most of BG is comprised. There are a couple just off of 9th st. and another behind the park. Some of those are well over $250k. There is also one right next to the high school.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    There are actually a few housing editions in BG that are higher value than the little shanties in which most of BG is comprised. There are a couple just off of 9th st. and another behind the park. Some of those are well over $250k. There is also one right next to the high school.

I can attest to this, even the Mayor lives behind the park in the hidden subdivision. Most of BG is comprised of cheaper housing.

Why would they want to raise taxes anyway, St. Francis is moving out in a few years too!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Well, those numbers came from those pushing for it, so naturally they want to paint it in their favor...

My home is valued at $160,000 and my annual taxes in '08 were $3,030. Obviously they didn't use house values and taxes that did not help push their propaganda. Why the heck would I not want to lower my burden on such ridiculous tax rape? I would have to be an idiot to do so, and that is why I made the statement as I did. Only idiots would want to pay more taxes than they would otherwise not need to. It is absolutely ridiculous.
    I think it is total bullcrap that the state puts out a tax cap and some local bureaucrats call for a referendum to go against the state and cause those that don't want the tax increase to pay it anyway.
    I say that if you want to give the school money, give them some money, but don't force others who want to follow the rest of the state to pay the stupid crap.

Maybe you don't have kids in the BG school system. I do. I would like the kids in BG to be able to ride the buses to school. Do I like increased taxes? Of course not. At least this isn't like Perry Township where they are broke because of a $1.5 mil sports stadium!

Could BG have handled their money better? Of course. Have they been as careless as most school systems? Not by a long shot.

If some gun law restrictions came to this area...would you feel the same way?

Not sure how that is relevant...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

FEMA Camp?
    tinfoilhat.jpg

:D

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Maybe you don't have kids in the BG school system. I do. I would like the kids in BG to be able to ride the buses to school. Do I like increased taxes? Of course not. At least this isn't like Perry Township where they are broke because of a $1.5 mil sports stadium!

Could BG have handled their money better? Of course. Have they been as careless as most school systems? Not by a long shot.

Ok, so the question would be to the school superintendent...why would they choose to cut school busing instead of other non educational related costs such as their sports programs?
    I recall when my stepson was in school just a couple of years ago, one of his classes did not have actual books...the teacher handed out photo copies of sections of a book and said they didn't have money to get actual books, yet I know for a fact that I paid his book fees which was supposed to cover all of the costs for books. All the while, they had drained the pool so the could repaint the bottom with a new Hornet. And my stepson also said that they had just brought in a bunch of new weight lifting equipment.
    Talk about waste and abuse...all of that is more important than busing?

Not sure how that is relevant.
    You were basically telling me that if I didn't like it, I could move...so it is relevant in the aspect that if gun laws changed that you were not in favor of, would you feel the same...that you could just move? I think the answer would be no. You would be upset that ridiculous restrictions were being imposed on you that you did not agree with. So, would you move and run away with your tale between your legs, or would you be pissed enough to raise awareness and try to change it?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ok, so the question would be to the school superintendent...why would they choose to cut school busing instead of other non educational related costs such as their sports programs?
    I recall when my stepson was in school just a couple of years ago, one of his classes did not have actual books...the teacher handed out photo copies of sections of a book and said they didn't have money to get actual books, yet I know for a fact that I paid his book fees which was supposed to cover all of the costs for books. All the while, they had drained the pool so the could repaint the bottom with a new Hornet. And my stepson also said that they had just brought in a bunch of new weight lifting equipment.
    Talk about waste and abuse...all of that is more important than busing?

You were basically telling me that if I didn't like it, I could move...so it is relevant in the aspect that if gun laws changed that you were not in favor of, would you feel the same...that you could just move? I think the answer would be no. You would be upset that ridiculous restrictions were being imposed on you that you did not agree with. So, would you move and run away with your tale between your legs, or would you be pissed enough to raise awareness and try to change it?

Point taken.

As I said, I agree that BG hasn't been fiscally responsible, but I still think they are more responsible than most schools in Indy.

I guess only time will tell if the tax will really stay the same, or increase. If it stays the same as they claim, then I will stand by my vote. If they increase, then I will let the BG Government know that I feel they lied.

Until then, I guess we agree to disagree. I would however, encourage you to rethink your wording in the future. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them an "idiot".

Top Bottom