• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Tactical Sh*& did the videos. so I cannot link on here due to the filters, yes it filters links too. They have them up on their youtubes and facebooks. I do not like tactical sh*& as a company for reasons, but they run 5 or 6 mags full auto with no issues in one video and 3 or 4 full auto in the other with no issues, no earplugs, and no eye protection... I don't think the video is lying. I don't need a full auto or even one that can handle extended periods of rapid fire. I definitely don't have the cash to be a regular mag dumper. Something to calm the rise, lower the noise, and handle my maximum use, while being relatively small and low interference with carbine operations, I think it fills the bill. witt machine is pretty stand up, they answer the phone and their integrally suppressed uppers are well received.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Your wants are exactly what the Griffin Armament Optimus does as it will do .308, 9mm, 5.56, 300 BO and 22. If you are just getting into cans it's hard to go wrong with it. I like mine just fine and it comes with a 9mm piston and a muzzle device (figure those into the cost).

That said I already had a 22 can and recently picked up a dedicated YHM 5.56 titanium can due to getting a smoking deal. In shooting the YHM and Optimus head to head, they sound about the same.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You people aren't making this any easier on me. :rofl:

I'm telling you man come shoot some! I've got a hybrid if you want to try it out. I will say though the multi caliber options seem very attractive but once you get rolling and they are either great on rifle and ok on pistol or visa versa. The hybrid is pretty great on rifle stuff but it's lacking on pistols. Not that it doesn't perform well but it's like putting a rifle can on it as in it's heavier and less wieldy than a dedicated pistol can.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My perspective... I have 2 suppressors, an AAC SDN-6 and a Thompson Machine ISIS-2 in 45acp. While I don't regret buying them, unlike many/most NFDA aficionados, I doubt I'll get any additional cans. That said, here's why suppressors don't get me all excited (anymore).

I got the .30 SDN-6 to work with .308, 5.56 and 300BLK, and it works very well with all three calibers. What I didn't know is that my POI would shift with a can attached, and the shift varies in amount across different rifles. The POI shift is repeatable but, for me, that effectively means I have to choose which rifles I want to shoot suppressed and zero them as such. My 308's have scopes so it's relatively easy to compensate for the POI shift, but the 5.56 and 300blk have Aimpoints... leading to the question of "is this rifle zeroed for suppressed shooting or not?" First world problem for sure, but nonetheless irritating. So while my can is multi caliber capable, it's not multi rifle capable... if that makes sense.

The 45acp TM ISIS-2 has its own "issues" that, in my case, are mostly self inflicted; but since this will be your first pistol can I'll share my perceived downsides. (Full disclosure: my wife won the ISIS-2 at the Louisville NRA show, and I thank TM for that!) For the reasons I have pistols, suppressors are for the most part ridiculous. I knew going in that there would be no realistic way to carry a suppressed pistol, therefore a can would be a range toy (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that). Since I had no suppressor capable pistol, and loving my CZ SP-01, I bought a suppressor ready P-07. I thought about just getting a threaded barrel for another pistol, but my experience with POI shift across rifles lead me to a dedicated host. To hedge my bet I chose the 45acp even though I'm a 9mm kinda guy... 9mm, 40S&W, 45acp and subsonic 300blk appealed to me. Short version is that MY 9mm P-07 and 45acp ISIS-2 combination is unreliable with subsonic ammunition. At first it was unreliable with all ammunition, but Brooks let me know that the spring in the Nielsen device would weaken and functionality would improve. And it did improve. To date I have about 1000 rounds of all types/flavors of ammo my configuration (with various CGW recoil springs), and it's only been 100% with the 200 rounds of 147gr Federal HST I've put through it, it's probably 90%-ish with supersonic 124gr, 75% with 115, and >50% with subsonic Federal "Suppressor ready" 124gr. So at the range I'm still wearing ears unless I'm shooting premium ammo. Bummer. I hope reliability increases with round count. I do not "blame" TM or CZ in the least; I think my choice of the bigger, heavier, 45acp ISIS-2 (which I chose for caliber compatibility reasons) is the root cause if my cycling issues when firing 9mm. In hindsight it's obvious, but I didn't realize that suppressors could have a deleterious effect on function. Totally my fault, but there's no reason for others to make the same mistake.

This is my experience with my two suppressors, and YMMV.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I thought I'd be happy with just 2 cans. A .30 for all of my rifles and a .22 because it can be taken apart and is way lighter than the rifle can. Watched a ton of videos and made purchases before 41F and I'm happy with my YHM Phantom ti .30 qd and their Stinger .22. That being said, wow how far technology has come in 3 years since I started the whole process. The OSS cans look amazing with flow thru design and they're pretty much on par weight wise with the baffled designs. Everyone is doing adjustable length cans now it seems. And if SilencerCo doesn't fold under their new .22 can is very impressive on paper.

After having those for just a year I ended up getting a Rugged Obsidian .45 and have been very pleased with that on my 9mm hosts so far. I don't have anything else that it'll attach to so can't speak for it on the other calibers it is rated for but it looks good. And the first day I had it, it walked off the threads on my Shield and punched a hole in the endcap and Rugged replaced that under warranty at no charge. I haven't had issues with my other cans where I needed support yet.

Once you do get a can, I've made it a point to record the first time anyone shoots it with subsonic ammo. I let them go through a few rounds of supers with the can off, then attach it with subsonics and record their reaction. They're always shocked and it's great to play back.

Top Bottom