• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Businesses answer this question by balancing their profit and loss statements. In a free market, schools would do the same.

Well, I guess this means we'd be operating at a heavy loss, due to highly insufficient supervision and management capacity. Last I checked, profit was not our primary purpose. I don't think I want my own children in the hands of people whose primary purpose is profit. Again, just my humble opinion, more as a parent than as an educator.

Free market can have a wide range of meaning in education. Please elaborate.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Well, I guess this means we'd be operating at a heavy loss, due to highly insufficient supervision and management capacity. Last I checked, profit was not our primary purpose. I don't think I want my own children in the hands of people whose primary purpose is profit. Again, just my humble opinion, more as a parent than as an educator.

This!

As from experiences of being in school to having friends/family as admins, teachers and also my soon to be wife is where I get the info and feelings I have towards the subject. Not all schools are admin heavy but there are schools that have to many. There are also the admins that are not in the school but making decisions that greatly effect teachers and admins a likely.

But yes back to the guns!

Last edited:

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I moved to Hendricks county right when they voted to down the additional tax to keep 40-ish teachers in Avon schools. I didn't like the fact they looked to teachers salaries to trim the budget. Just doesn't make sense to cut your teachers when there was other areas less important priorities with a bigger slice of the budget.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

And it is also not the Job of the School, to continuously fleece the Tax base either...

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I don't think I want my own children in the hands of people whose primary purpose is profit.

And I don't want my own children in the hands of people who are going to spew government propaganda. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I guess you could just homeschool. :dunno:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

There is nothing dirty or obscene about profit. Profit means you are providing a good or service that people value, at a price they will willingly pay, and that you are doing so in a manner that provides a return greater than the prevailing rate of interest.

If your good or service requires that the people who pay for it must be fleeced at gunpoint, ipso facto they do not value it.

Free market can have only one meaning in economics: all exchange is voluntary and respects the property rights of participants and non-participants alike.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

What other motivating factor is there to control the quality of the educational content?

Is it better to have them in the hands of people who will get paid regardless of the effort/outcome they produce?

Given the stakes are infinitely higher in some circumstances, do you feel the same about lawyers? Shouldn't they be government paid employees so that everybody could afford them?

Top Bottom