• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm 28 - took a little break between my undergrad and grad school. I definitely know I'm not going to be a great shot and look forward to lots and lots of practice. I'm shocked at how nice and supportive everyone has been so far, both in online communities and in person.

You are in an environment full of people who understand that everything they know they learned at some point and then refined that learning to where they are today. You may not be great immediately, but I have confidence that over time you will become as proficient as you wish to be. After all, you have passed the first and largest hurdle of understanding the nature and purpose of gun ownership even if you are getting there on the installment plan. You have demonstrated adequate understanding of the fact that your mind is your most important asset superseding any tool you may have in your hand. From that point, it is just a matter of refinement.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Just to be clear, was the instructor teaching to use the slide stop only?

Personally, I would get away from that practice ASAP.

[video]https://youtu.be/Al2rMXpw6c0[/video]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    [video]https://youtu.be/Al2rMXpw6c0[/video][/QUOTE]

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

Never, Never

keep you hand on the slide after you rack it.
    You will be prone to failure to chamber.
    You pull the slide back and release.
    You let the slide spring return the slide.
    Even if you are inspecting the chamber for safety clearance.
    You rack and then release.
    muscle memory, you practice holding the slide as you release.
    In the heat of a bad situation. you will do the wrong thing that you practiced.
    You will have a failure when you do not want one.

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I never use the slide release (slide stop)to release the slide . I release the slide with my off hand. Pull the slide and let it go into battery, hand off!
    This also trains muscle memory for clearing malfunctions.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Never, Never

You will have a failure when you do not want one.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Nobody said to ride the slide forward. I simply tried to find a video of a woman racking the slide on a full size handgun. I believe since she was filming in a shop she didn't let the slide slam home. Much like every shop I've ever been in. No slides slamming home.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Never, Never

*Sigh*

From the video description:
    I know that the slide should be released when it is pulled back and not "rode" forward. This demonstration in about overcoming a lack of strength and the technique to help with that.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Just to be clear, was the instructor teaching to use the slide stop only?

Personally, I would get away from that practice ASAP.

I probably wasn't being really clear. I rack the slide just like she does, minus the keeping the hand on it and tend to prefer the cocked to the side angle (horizontal) which she showed near the end. The instructor emphasized the need to be able to pull back the slide, and then use the slide stop to lock it into an open position (I guess to carry it around a shop to show it's empty?) which was the thing I was having trouble doing. Hopefully that makes sense.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I probably wasn't being really clear. I rack the slide just like she does, minus the keeping the hand on it and tend to prefer the cocked to the side angle (horizontal) which she showed near the end. The instructor emphasized the need to be able to pull back the slide, and then use the slide stop to lock it into an open position (I guess to carry it around a shop to show it's empty?) which was the thing I was having trouble doing. Hopefully that makes sense.
    That does make sense.
    Here is what I would suggest that you try. Put your right thumb under the slide stop and press up on it, while holding constant pressure take your left hand and rack the slide like you normally do. When the slide gets to the appropriate position then the slide stop will engage since you are holding pressure on it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Ok great. Yes when you need to lock it back make sure it's pointed in a safe, direction, use two hands, turn it in your strong hand and your thumb will reach easily.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You have started down the right path. Stay on it. Find an instructor/course of training and take as many courses as you can afford. Don't sweat the small stuff as it can be corrected over time.

Get a dryfire practice plan and follow it. 5 minutes a day will do wonders for your draw. Start SLOW!!!!! Speed will come with muscle memory but it has to have the right memory.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On the dry fire suggestion.....check to be sure your gun of choice will stand up to dry fire drills. Some platforms will not. Some have no issues with this.

tthomas1809

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Mar 22, 2012
    South bend
    This may be helpful. Its for right handed shooters, reverse if you are left handed.
    correction_chart_logo_small.gif-S.jpg

Thanks, I was wondering if I am not putting my finger in enough. I am left handed and tend to shoot certain guns to the right, I think its and issue with smaller guns, like my shield. You would think that it would be the opposite. Yes I said I am not putting my finger in enough...lol My wife tells me that a lot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Never, Never

You will have a failure when you do not want one.

Yep. Nobody said to ride the slide forward. I simply tried to find a video of a woman racking the slide on a full size handgun. I believe since she was filming in a shop she didn't let the slide slam home. Much like every shop I've ever been in. No slides slamming home.[/QUOTE]

Seeing is believing! When you watch someone you think is an Authority doing something.
    You tend to copy it. That is how you pick up a bad habit.
    If you are going to DRY fire your weapon. Pick up a set of "Snap Caps" at any sporting good store.
    They are simulated bullets that absorb the firing pin hitting nothing.
    That is the only sure way not to damage you firing pin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

A lot of us have trained for years with Coach up at Parabellum. He might be worth adding to your list of things to look into.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    My advice on the dry fire, which is worth what you paid for it, is to select a target. I know this seems obvious, but I didn't see it mentioned yet. I recommend something small. Aim small, miss small. As you depress the trigger you should be focused on the front sight. Notice what the front sight does. See if the front sight is dipping or going to the left. If you have night sights, which think the P320 has standard, try doing this in a dark room. You won't be able to see a target, but the three glowing dots will give you valuable feedback. Obviously, you want to work toward the point where the front sight moves as little as possible as you depress the trigger.

Have fun and be safe!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My advice on the dry fire, which is worth what you paid for it, is to select a target. ... try doing this in a dark room. ... the three glowing dots will give you valuable feedback. Obviously, you want to work toward the point where the front sight moves as little as possible as you depress the trigger.

I actually think trigger control is best done with "white wall" dryfire (same concept as your night-sight suggestion, but no closet needed, and better view of the sights). This is done w/o a target.

Having a target is good, too, and worth doing, but it can also distract and tempt you to focus on something other than the FS. Focus intently on that FS as if nothing else existed in the world.... did it wiggle? What direction? how much? Then latter, adding a target begins the shot calling training. Where on the target were you aimed at the instant the "shot" broke? How much "wobble zone" do you have in your stance, etc.

-rvb

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I probably wasn't being really clear. I rack the slide just like she does, minus the keeping the hand on it and tend to prefer the cocked to the side angle (horizontal) which she showed near the end. The instructor emphasized the need to be able to pull back the slide, and then use the slide stop to lock it into an open position (I guess to carry it around a shop to show it's empty?) which was the thing I was having trouble doing. Hopefully that makes sense

I was going to give my "expert" advice on this, but looks like benp done did it.
    I would say that this is sometimes awkward for me, going from platform to platform, and I'm best at it with those weapons that I handle most. It's a practice thing, I guess.
    I agree with almost everything Kirk said in his first post answer. Kirk is wise in this. Listen to Uncle Kirk. Just don't, for the love of God, tell him I said so. His head's already enormous. We dont want to make it worse.
    I think you're in a place where cheap ammo prices works for you. Nothing beats trigger time. Have fun with it!

Top Bottom