Took my new Kel Tec P3AT to the range today for the first time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I purchased a new Kel Tec P3AT on saturday to carry when I can't practically conceal my G19.

Great little gun. Nearly invisible in my pocket.

I put about 100 rounds down the pipe and had five jams. In each case, the empty casing was partially, to varying degrees, still in the chamber. The first one I thought had "stove-piped" at first. One looked like it wasn't going to come out of the chamber without some poking, but a stiff bump did the job.

The first three jams occurred after firing round 4 of 6 from magazine #2, but the last two jams were with magazine #1.

It is very possible that the jamming was related to the gun moving in my hand after firing (a variation of limp wristing I guess). The P3AT is so small, I found myself experimenting with my grip. I ended up with a 'hot spot' on the palm of my hand after shooting, so there was definitely friction. Also, my index finger naturally wanted to be to far in on the trigger and I had to move my thumb out of the way. I will definitely be working on dry firing and finding how I want to hold it.

Half way through I switched over the the G19. It felt HUGE... Cartoon HUGE. I ripped through a couple of magazines and shot about normal for me (in a fairly tight group in the form of an oval from the center to 10 o'clock. (need to work on that)

My accuracy with the P3AT definitely wasn't as good as with the G19. The sights are very small and I was more or less pointing and shooting. I was shooting at a standard 25 yard slow-fire target at a distance of 20 feet. Most, if not all, rounds were within the 10 ring. The majority in 7 or better.

I would feel better about carrying the P3AT if I didn't have the jams today. I came home, field striped, and cleaned with CLP. I hadn't done anything to it out of the box, so maybe a little oil will make it run a little better.

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I've not experienced any jamming issues with mine. Maybe you're limp wristing? (as you guessed.) I did have problems with some HP getting jammed on the feed ramp, but no problems ever ejecting cases.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    IMHO, NO semi-auto is broken-in until at least 200 rds. have gone down the pipe.

3ATs and the Ruger knock-offs are both prone to "limp-wristing" due to the low mass of the slide.

I suggest putting another 100-150 rnds. through it before becoming too concerned. I also recommend checking the KTOG website for common fixes if after the aforementioned break-in does not fix the issue.

Lastly, I highly recommend the "A-Grip" as it helps you keep a firm grip on the pistol while firing. CLICKY ----> https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/15306-agrips_review.html

Good luck!!! :rockwoot: :ingo:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A little fine sanding can help

There is a website: KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group

This is the Kel Tec owners group. On that site there is a link to a site that has clear instruction on how to buff the surfaces on the P3AT and other Kel Tec pistols to improve their reliability. I have two P32s, one for me and one for the wife. I did this procedure, never a jam.

Best regards,

Terry

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    When you shoot your KelTec, try a firm, high grip and concentrate on using just the very tip of your trigger finger. Also, try some different ammo. Some may be a little picky on what ammo they like at first. Mine will eat anything and I only have about 125 rnds thru her. Don't get too discouraged too early. I really like mine and have 0 problems with it. The only problem is the ammo availability right now. They are little hard to come by but not impossible to get. Good luck with yours, they really are a good pistol and from what I've read, KelTecs support is fantastic! If you are hitting the 10 ring at 20 feet, I think that is good for a pistol this small. Keep in mind, these are made for close encounters of the worst kind!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Yea... I'm certainly not giving up on it just yet.

380 Auto is hard to come by apparently... I went to Pop Guns to shoot and they wanted $40 for a box of 50... that's right $40! HOLY COW!

I'll check out that website for the buff tips.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Wife and I took ours to the range Sat. for the second time. We put 50 rounds apiece down range without a problem of any kind. Keep working on you grip, that should help.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I bought a new p3at too. I shot it last week and had no problems. I shot 200 rounds. I did get it to jam when I shot it today. I held it lose and shot it. With a good hold no problems. My Glock 26 will jam the same way when I hold it like that. So I trust my P3AT. Also have a LCP and it is a good shooter too. The LCP slips in my hand more then the P3AT.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Clean and lubed.

I have never fired a new firearm without a thorough cleaning first. I don't like the "goo" they ship most guns with and I also like the "bonding" a good cleaning gives with a new toy. I also agree with the "never trust or judge a gun till a couple hundred rounds have been run through it" theory. The P3AT is a great carry piece, one of the best for summer.

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    Make sure you are not limp-wristing it.

Give it a very thorough cleaning.

Try to put another 100-150 rounds through it.

Then, see what happens.

Mine has been 100% since day one. Many of them need some time to get broken in. Mine is a littel bit ammo finicky. It hates steel or aluminum cased ammo.

Mac238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've owned three of the P3AT Kel Tec's and only one was ammo particular. When I test them on breakin I intentionally try to limp wrist until it gives me problems. It's just one of the things I do. Good guns. My wife carries the P32 daily and out of 150 rnds. no problems using 3 different mags.

Good news, price of 380 is starting to come down a little more now. Shop around. Bradis had some today at $19.95 for practice ammo. Goes quick though. Call first.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Bigus, Get another 100 rounds through it. I had a couple of malfunctions early, but with a couple hundred rounds it smoothed out nice and I had no trouble after say the first 3 or 4 mags.

Also, as you suggested, it is not forgiving of a weak grip.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've owned two Kel Tec pistols, a P3AT and a PF9. My P3at malfunctioned all the time until I discovered on the Kel Tec board the "fluff and buff." Whenever you get a new Kel Tec pistol you should put it through this procedure, which you can find on the KTOG board. After doing it on the P3AT - it takes about an hour - I never had another malfunction. I did it to my PF9 when I bought it new, and I've had one malfunction and that was with ammo that made my CZ P01 malfunction, which to those of you who know CZs, is a very rare thing indeed.

A little sanding and polishing will work wonders.

batmann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I haven't had any issues with mine and it's got a couple hundred down the tube, but my buddy in CO put a Crimson Trace Laser on his and has some jamming problems. I told him the same that the advice here is, it is probably the hold. His was fine until he put the laser on.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have been doing some dry fire practise and draw practise. I find that I naturally want to get as much of my hand on it as possible. This means that the front of the grip ends up right in the joint of my middle finger. If I adjust to put the front of the grip on the pad between the two joints the gun feels much more stable in my hand, and my index finger is in a much better position (a lot closer to the trigger when pointing forward outside the trigger gaurd, rather than closer to the muzzle). Mind you, I can only get my middle finger on the grip... half of my ring finger fits (a little better even with a magazine in, but I don't have the extension).

I'm going to take it out to the range this weekend and blow through another hundred rounds or so. I've looked at the fluff and buff instructions, but I'm not 100% on going down that road just yet... perhaps if I have continued jamming after a couple more range trips. Hopefully a renewed focus and improved grip will take care of it.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    On second thought... I am going to fluff and buff my P3AT.

I plan to follow the instructions here: KTOG.Org - TecWerks - GL's Illustrated Fluff & Buff (fluff and buff) - Page 1 - Kel-Tec Owners Group

It is clear that the machine marks are fairly substantial on the slide and rails.

*** EDIT ***
    Just spent 30 minutes with some emory cloth and the instructions above. Very lightly sanded the recommended areas. Blew off with the air compressor and the oiled up. It feels quite a bit more smooth operating the slide manually now. Looking forward to shooting some on Sunday.
    *** END EDIT ***

Last edited:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    The "fluff & buff" will be a big help on your gun. I had similar problems with mine and called Kel-Tec, they sent me a new extractor and I've had no issues since.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Well... I put another 100 rounds through my newly fluffed P3AT today.

I had two failures. The first failure was a failure to eject. The round stayed in the chamber. The slide clearly cycled far enough to pull the casing out. The slide went back far enough to grab the next round. When I dropped the mag, the action closed under its own power (forcing the spent casing back into the chamber). I stuck the magazine back in and cycled the action and was good to go.

The second failure was simply due to not getting the magazine all of the way in. I have a little trouble getting my strong hand out of the way when slapping the magazine in... this thing is just so freaking small.

I could definitely tell the gun was operating much more smoothly today. I skipped the fluff and buff instructions relating to sanding the chamber. I actually did a VERY light fluff & buff procedure... so maybe just a little more of this do the trick. I could tell that my newly refined grip was a TON better. I didn't get any hot spots on my hand this time out and left the range feeling pretty good about everything.

If I have another failure to eject on my next outing, I'll call Kel-Tec about a new extractor perhaps.

Thanks for all the tips! I hope somebody else finds this thread useful when looking at or using their new P3AT!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom