• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

My son just turned two late June. He has always been fascinated by everything that has to do with fish. He sleeps with a stuffed 'bow, has fed the tarpon in the Keys, and every time he sees one, it's always "ISH!" I have let him "play" with my reels, and have taken him to the park to look for fish in the ponds, etc. I asked him if he wanted to go fish. The look on his face when he said "yes," was all a father ever needs to see. So I took him to a local park to see of we could fool a bluegill or two.

As he ate a snack and watched, I rigged up my rod and off we were. I hadn't taken two steps before I heard "Dada, hold it." He carried the rod 100 yards to the pond. Something about a 3' tall boy confidently carrying a 9' rod to the pond.

We only fished about 10 minutes, but it was worth every second. I would cast out the hopper, and he would hold the rod by himself concentrating on the bug. We ended up catching one bluegill (I helped him bring it in). I asked him if he wanted to touch it, and obviously, he said "yeah," smiling the whole time. Immediately after the release, "more, more, more."

The ride home was nothing but "Dada, more 'ishing, more 'ishing...." while playing with a spare reel I had in my truck. I assured him that was absolutely going to happen.

The best part...when I was putting him to bed, I asked what his favorite part of the day was, and he said without hesitation, "Dada, 'ishing."

Pic from Wednesday.

de6419f0e7a07978f268c6fef484d29a.jpg

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Good stuff there, when my son was little we would hit the river behind my family's farm and catch yellow & white perch by the bucket full. And then I took him Rock fishing, after that he would fish for little fish no more. :(

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Starting him a bit late but it sounds like he will make up for lost time.

It's great when a kid starts Ishin'. I plan to ish some myself this weekend. Gotta love Ish.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I took my 2.5 year old fishing for the first time the other day in the creek.... mom and the boy waded behind me so she could keep him steady in the current. whenever I hooked a fish (rockbass or creek chub) I would set the treble hook real hard open the reel and let it swim away..... It was painfully slow to watch him real that fish back in... "he" caught 5 fish.... I plan on taking him tomorrow in the canoe with the wife so he can catch a small mouth or ten.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We went out again yesterday afternoon. Before hitting the pond we made a quick stop to pick up his first fishing rod. No, we didn't buy the kids' spiderman pole, we bought a "real" ultralight spin cast combo. Picked up some terminal tackle as well, and hit the pond. He enjoyed it, eventhough we didn't catch anything. We were able to stay a bit longer this time, as he was intrigued by reeling the line in all by himself. The 5'6" rod was easier for him to handle as well.

He kept trying to fly cast the thing, whipping it up and down. Last time he kept saying "up, down, up, down," as I casted the fly. I tried to explain that it was a different rod, and I think he understood. Looks like I'm in the market for an eagle claw featherlight fly rod.

The whole way home was the same "Dada, more 'ishing, more 'ishing." This morning, he was still talking about "'ishing."

Man, does it get any better?

Top Bottom