• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Took my wife to the range today(BG380 issue)

(If there is a more fitting forum for this thread to be in, please feel free to move.)

Finally got my wife convinced she needed to go to the range to shoot her BG380, so I took my wife down to Indy Trading Post today. Great people there. We did the living social deal so we rented a few of thiers (TCP,XDM) but she has a Bodyguard 380 that she needed to get 'the feel' of. Loaded up the BG380 and first pull....click.:n00b: Second pull, BANG. WTH:dunno: This was the way for 2 mags full. Out of 12 rounds 7-8 were two pulls. :( But she rented the TCP...she did good.:D
    I rented a XDM9, mainly to see what she (my wife) had in her. I gave her the XDM and well.....she hit the target first off...second pull she hit the clip that was holding the target.:dunno: But I found out today my wife is a better shot than i thought.
    So we get home and I call Smith & Wesson and explain what happened. He first tried saying it was bad ammo. Then when I told him we used the ammo in another gun with no issues at all he offered a shipping label to send to them for troubleshooting:laugh: <--- pun intended

So a few questions...
    1. Has anyone had this problem with a BG380?
    2. How good is the guys at Smith on things like this?

(will post picks of her target when i get a chance)

(as you can see in the top left this is where be blew away the clip holding the target):laugh:

picture.php

after she busted the clip i finished off the last 20 or so...this was her first time:rolleyes:(or at least thats what she says)

Last edited:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    the guys at smith are top notch.
    +1000000 Smith and Wesson Warranty Service! - INGunOwners
    i have had to deal with them before and they took care of me quickly. before you send it back, check the rear mounting screw on the laser. they tend to come loose and could cause the slide to not go all the way forward, possibly not getting it fully into battery then the click of the hammer was just enough to get it there. just a possible check. if thats not the case, when you get it back, take that screw out, and put it in with locktite. mine came up too far and jammed the gun first time i had it out, almost could not get it to unjam, quickly field stripped and thats what i found.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    The BG380 I had was VERY, VERY picky about ammo. Try a few different brands and see if they work any better. I got to the point where I flat out didn't trust my BG to function 100% of the time so I picked up a Ruger LC9 instead.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As someone else pointed out, some guns are more finicky then others. As it was not your personal weapon and a rented one, hard to tell. I am sure with Smith & Wesson that they are 99% quality weapons, so either its a bad one (which will happen). Needs to be cleaned or any number of other faults.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Still waiting on someone from indiana's review on the BG beyond 250 rounds. But have heard alot of - reviews and feed back on the bg380 exp after 200 rounds. wouldn't mind upgrading the kel tec to that.. But am leary.

verniebernie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Bradenton Florida
    I have a BG380 for a carry gun here in Florida. I had issure's when new some what as you have described. I disassembled and cleaned gun with GunScrubber and the magazine. oiled it up with good gun oil and have never had an issue since. I have well over 300-400 round through it and it's a pleasure to own, however I wass concerned at first. It really like to be oiled.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    before you send it back, check the rear mounting screw on the laser. they tend to come loose and could cause the slide to not go all the way forward, possibly not getting it fully into battery then the click of the hammer was just enough to get it there.
    Checked this, all is good under the hood.

As it was not your personal weapon and a rented one, hard to tell.
    It was a personal weapon, not a rented one, that's why I feel it disturbing. When SHTF a dead trigger is a BIG problem.

I have a BG380 .... I had issure's when new some what as you have described. I disassembled and cleaned gun with GunScrubber and the magazine. oiled it up with good gun oil and have never had an issue since. I have well over 300-400 round through it and it's a pleasure to own....It really like to be oiled.
    I'll try this. I'm moving in 3 weeks and I don't know how the whole shipping to S&W will work out. Especially since i'm moving out of state.

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I rented a XDM9, mainly to see what she (my wife) had in her. I gave her the XDM and well.....she hit the target first off...second pull she hit the clip that was holding the target.:dunno: But I found out today my wife is a better shot than i thought.

Soooo...What you're saying here is that the XDm is a superior gun. :rockwoot: Seems you liked the XDm and perhaps she did too? Yep, things are more right in the world.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Soooo...What you're saying here is that the XDm is a superior gun. :rockwoot: Seems you liked the XDm and perhaps she did too? Yep, things are more right in the world.
    It was a little big for her but all in all she handled it better than i thought.

I like my XDm-9 ;). How did you like shooting it?
    Yeah they are great. over the years i've had a few of them. I had the 40 right after they hit the market. I had the 9 in od green, i wish i could get another one of those, i was in a stupid mood and traded it off. :( Always liked the xdm's.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom